Massoth XLS problem

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
A friend yesterday installed a XLS (latest update version) to a LGB Mogul. Last week he installed an XLS to a LGB #2085 Mallett. The Mallett install went perfectly. The Mogul is a perplexing problem (or two).

Install proceeded without a hitch until random sounds activated. The random sound initiated and 'turned off' the existing sound (steam chuff). On this polyphonic decoder the single random sound should not have cancelled out the chuff sound.

Second problem. In forward direction motor/speed step operation (28 speed steps) is normal in that the loco responds to increasing throttle demands. In reverse however, speed increases to speed step '12' and then loco stops dead (with steam chuff sound still increasing). Increasing throttle input to step '20', the loco now moves off slowly until speed step '24', at which step the loco rapidly increases in speed until full speed. Remember in forward direction throttle response is normal.

I told him to select loco inverse direction on the decoder and the throttle problem transferred to the forward direction as I had summised. Loco direction returned to normal and speed step set to factory '14' speed steps. Problem still present in reverse. Motor input factory reset carried out (CV7=66) and reverse speed step at which loco stopped on acceleration changed to speed step '9' ('12' previously) and speed step '17' ('20' previously) when drive regained with increasing throttle. No doubt the decoder has software issues (remember it is the latest release version). Friend is awaiting clearance from Massoth distributor prior to doing a factory update.

PS. Just found out that analogue operation is normal.

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
return it and let the distributor sort it out/replace it.

Which version of firmware does it have?

I would try a full CV reset.
If there are still issues I would reload the firmware & sounds.
If there are still issues after that it would go back to Massoth.

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
Mark,
the decoder is version 2.5. Apparently there is now a 2.6. The Mallet, although purchased only last week is version 2.1 and it is perfect.

Apparently, the CV7 motor parameter reset was unsuccessful as an error message was received. I would think a full factory reset would also fail. The friend is using the latest version programmer software(RS232 interface) and the latest, just released Massoth programme. Further testing has shown that the reverse shutdown can now happen at any reverse speed setting. Also, the random sounds were turned off on the Massoth programme and yet still sound, although now the chuff is not silenced at the time.