Massoth VS. ESU smoke generator

FurkaSOCal

Registered
26 Dec 2017
San Diego
Best answers
Country flag
Hello,

I am in the process of converting my LGB 20471 Ballenberg rack loco to DCC. I will be using an ESU Loksound XL decoder and am split between using an ESU or Massoth smoke unit. Does anyone have any preferences or insight? I will say that space is for sure a factor. I think I am going to fit the decoder right in front of the wires for the motor, you can see where I've measured out the spot for the speaker. So that means I will have to cram it up into the boiler above the speaker most likely.

Attachments

• IMG_20190821_180718.jpg
    IMG_20190821_180718.jpg
    502.8 KB · Views: 0
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I think you will be driven by what fits best in the boiler. From looking at them, the new rounded top Massoth looks like a better fit, as opposed to the flat topped "small" ESU.

I'd take measurements after you have the speaker fitted and can experiment with the decoder location.

Greg

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Whichever one you go for, do take care that any overspill or leakage of smoke fluid during fill-ups can't get into the speaker - not sure if it would do significant damage but it's probably best avoided....

Jon.

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
A vote for Massoth despite the fact that I generally prefer ESU decoders. I only have one Massoth and three ESU fan driven smoke units. I rarely use the ESUs as the fans are noisy. I suspect the bearings have been contaminated with smoke fluid but cleaning and lubricating with a drop of lubricating oil didn't cure the problem.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
A 'waterproof' (mylar cone) loud speaker *may* get round the problem of oil-spill? - Though the jury is out, on what smoke oil will do to mylar?? :think: :think:

I would make a cardboard mock-up of the smoke units, and see which fitted in the space you have, I think.

PhilP.

FurkaSOCal

Registered
26 Dec 2017
San Diego
Best answers
Country flag
great suggestions! Is there any benefit to using an ESU generator with an ESU decoder or does it not matter? I am leaning toward the rounded massoth right now due to the space concerns.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
great suggestions! Is there any benefit to using an ESU generator with an ESU decoder or does it not matter? I am leaning toward the rounded massoth right now due to the space concerns.

[Not an ESU user, so general thoughts..]

I would think that (perhaps) if the two units were from the same manufacturer, then they would 'play nicely together', but they are in effect individual decoders/devices in their own rights.

Whatever you do:
Install a way to isolate (at least) one leg of track-power to each device. - That way you will be able to alter CV's on one device, without affecting the other.

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag

ESU's decoder interface software has the facility to configure other fan blown smoke units in addition to their own.
A little irrelevant but on my last ESU install I was impressed with the ability to tweak the smoke output of a standard Seuth/Massoth differently when standing to that when running.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

FurkaSOCal

Registered
26 Dec 2017
San Diego
Best answers
Country flag
Somewhat unrelated to the original topic but i'm having quite some trouble fitting the decoder while still leaving room for the smoke unit up front in the boiler. This is the best fit that I have found so far, trouble is the decoder has to lean right up against the motor. I would then secure it with some double sided adhesive pads or tape from home depot. What do you think? Should I be worried about heat from the motor damaging the decoder? If so maybe I could put a thin pad of something behind the decoder to provide some shielding?

Attachments

• IMG_20190829_112112.jpg
    IMG_20190829_112112.jpg
    300.2 KB · Views: 0