Massoth sound for a Class 2091?

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
The lovely red-and-cream OBB 2091 that I've just got from Mike has a Massoth XLS in it, but programmed for a V51/V52 class, because Massoth don't appear to do a sound file for a 2091 (which is a diesel-electric as opposed to the diesel-hydraulic power of the V51/52).

I find it quite odd that Massoth don't show a 2091 sound file in the XLS listing, as they must have one to put on the factory-sound locos of that class for which they made the electronics!

What would folks here suggest as the closest alternative sound choice from Massoth's list, for a BoBo diesel-electric?

The reason I'm messing around with this is that at present the loco is running the XLS piggybacked on the factory-fit decoder, using the XLS purely as a sound unit - as this seems a bit of a waste of the unit's capabilities, I want to remove the XLS for full use elsewhere and replace it in the 2091 with an S sound-only unit - provided I can find a suitable sound set!

Jon.

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
hi jon, i think mums is your best bet, hes the man to ask re massoth:clap:

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
Hello Jon,

I don't know what a suitable sound from Massoth would be but I believe the sound you would need from Dietz would be VL-2091, which you can hear on their web site. http://www.d-i-e-t-z.de/

You could use the Dietz sound to find something similar from Massoth. If you want to use the Dietz sound then you can get it in a SUSI only module but then you would need to also replace the driving decoder with one that has a SUSI interface. Check out the Intellisound sections on this web site: http://www.aandh-models.co.uk/

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Cliff (and Mike), I don't want to replace the factory-fitted MTS decoder if I can avoid it, that rather negates the cost saving of salvaging the XLS for other uses and putting in an S unit (of which I already have a couple here).

I think I may have to email Massoth and ask them directly if it's possible to have the 2091 sound files loaded onto an S.

I'll ask Muns too, Mike!

Jon.

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
jon, has the factury fitted decoda got a "Susi" interface?.. i ask as bunnyrabbit(marcs ) has told me hes used 00 gauge sound units plugged into the sussi...
just a thought:D

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
No SUSI I'm afraid, Mike - loco's just a little too old for that, I think.

Jon.

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
ahh bugger:crying:

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
I've just emailed Peter Ting at Massoth, he's been very helpful in the past, if he comes up with an answer I'll let you know!

Jon.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Excellent news, thanks Gizzy for the links to that, hopefully Peter from Massoth will be able to give me some idea of when it will be available. :D
I had already checked Massoth's own XLS listing on their website, and this particular option is not shown there at all!

Jon

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Jon,

According to Peter, the 2091 sounds will be available soon - he did not indicate how soon though.

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
Hello John,

Thinking about this it isn't going to cost that much more in monetary terms to get the Dietz 2091 sound say via a Uhlenbrock 32300 Intellisound 3 SUSI unit (actually made by Dietz) (about £60.00) combined with a non sound driving decoder such as a Lenz Gold Maxi (about £70.00) or a Massoth eMOTION XL (about £60.00). The cost compares well with the Massoth S unit at about £120.

I know it is more hastle to rip out the existing decoder/electronics but to my way of thinking that is most of the fun, hey I'll even volunteer to do it for you!!!

It is not really surprising that the Massoth S Unit is so much more expensive than a SUSI only unit because of course the Massoth S has almost all of the gubbins that a full sound and driving decoder would have because of some of the features that it has (like two wire connection only), where as the SUSI only unit dispenses with most of that.

Actually I've got an LGB 2091 myself, it is fitted with sound but I have no idea what! It was sold to me second hand as a non sound version. Only when I got it home did I find it actually had sound in it, but it was turned off! I must take it apart one day to see what is really inside it.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
muns said:
Jon,

According to Peter, the 2091 sounds will be available soon - he did not indicate how soon though.

Thanks Mark - I've had a reply from Peter at Massoth, he's indicated that it should be "this year" - as I've still got loads of other projects to keep me busy at the moment, I think I can wait that long!

Jon.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Cliff George said:
Hello John,

Thinking about this it isn't going to cost that much more in monetary terms to get the Dietz 2091 sound say via a Uhlenbrock 32300 Intellisound 3 SUSI unit (actually made by Dietz) (about £60.00) combined with a non sound driving decoder such as a Lenz Gold Maxi (about £70.00) or a Massoth eMOTION XL (about £60.00). The cost compares well with the Massoth S unit at about £120.

I know it is more hastle to rip out the existing decoder/electronics but to my way of thinking that is most of the fun, hey I'll even volunteer to do it for you!!!

It is not really surprising that the Massoth S Unit is so much more expensive than a SUSI only unit because of course the Massoth S has almost all of the gubbins that a full sound and driving decoder would have because of some of the features that it has (like two wire connection only), where as the SUSI only unit dispenses with most of that.

Actually I've got an LGB 2091 myself, it is fitted with sound but I have no idea what! It was sold to me second hand as a non sound version. Only when I got it home did I find it actually had sound in it, but it was turned off! I must take it apart one day to see what is really inside it.

Thanks for the suggestions, Cliff, and also for the offer of helping out with the work! :D
As per my reply to Mark above, Peter Ting at Massoth has told me that he hopes their sound files for the 2091 should be available before the end of this year, so I think I'm going to wait for that; I can source an S decoder from Germany for only about £90, and then ask very nicely on here if anyone with the necessary Massoth programming kit would be willing to load the sound files for me once they become available!
I know that I could take out the existing decoder and replace the whole lot, as you suggest, and I'm quite happy doing that where necessary - but if I can get away with keeping the factory MTS board I'd rather go that route.

What livery is your 2091 in - the red/cream, orangey-red or dark green?

Best,

Jon.

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
Hello John,

I've got the red/cream version.

I suspect it must have after market sound fitted since since both according to the LGB database and the box in came in it doesn't have factory sound in it. It is an LGB 20520 and the box seems to be the correct one for the loco since both have the same number on them.

There is a few shots of it in the video I did earlier this year.

Sounds OK to me, I'm not actually too fussed if it isn't the correct sound for the loco.

£90.00 thats good, the stuff I mentioned is also cheaper from Germany. If I can I like to support UK G Scale retailers, but for a £30.00 diffference maybe I wouldn't!

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Cliff George said:
Hello John,

I've got the red/cream version.

I suspect it must have after market sound fitted since since both according to the LGB database and the box in came in it doesn't have factory sound in it. It is an LGB 20520 and the box seems to be the correct one for the loco since both have the same number on them.

There is a few shots of it in the video I did earlier this year.

Sounds OK to me, I'm not actually too fussed if it isn't the correct sound for the loco.

£90.00 thats good, the stuff I mentioned is also cheaper from Germany. If I can I like to support UK G Scale retailers, but for a £30.00 diffference maybe I wouldn't!

That's the same livery 2091 that I've just got from Mike as a swap for my green one - yes, as far as I know it's the only version of the loco that came without factory sound - both the green and orange versions were sound-equipped from new. So, it may be factory-MTS with an added sound system (maybe one of the LGB "black boxes"?), or someone may already have stripped out the stock decoder board and put in an XLS or similar. It'll be interesting to see what is in there, if you ever get round to taking a look! ;)

As to the decoder price, yes, I'd much rather buy over here when I can, and there is always the shipping to consider from German dealers - but if I'm careful and buy several things at once the per-item impact of this can be minimised (it's usually flat-rate), and as you say, it's quite a big difference in cost!

I do like the little Massoth S, the one I put into my HSB KoF sounds great, and it is very easy to install both physically and electrically.

Jon.