Massoth Service Board (8176001)

DRG11

Registered
14 May 2011
Roman City of Bath
Best answers
Country flag
Hi All,

A couple of questions regarding the Massoth Service Board (8176001) above ...

! .. Has anybody used this and does it work well with different decoders ?

2 .. If yes does anybody know where these are available from please,

Many thanks to all.

The Shed

Citizen of the Republic of the North East.
8 Mar 2020
Darlington, County Durham.
Country
England
Best answers
Hi All,

A couple of questions regarding the Massoth Service Board (8176001) above ...

! .. Has anybody used this and does it work well with different decoders ?

2 .. If yes does anybody know where these are available from please,
Yes,....... Dietz, ESU, Littfinski DatenTechnik (LDT), LGB, Marklin, Massoth, MD Electronics, PIKO, Tams Elektronik, Uhlenbrock....... to name a few.

As to availability, worth a call or an email to, P and S Hobbies and Model Shop Ltd, P&S Hobbies and Models Online Webshop should be able to advise when they have the Decoder-Serviceboard 8176001 in stock.

DiMAX PC Module USB  8175101 & Decoder-Serviceboard 8176001.png

LGB 55028 Test  2 CV's.PNG

Last edited:

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
www.olddominionrailways.com
Best answers
Country flag
Yes,....... Dietz, ESU, Littfinski DatenTechnik (LDT), LGB, Marklin, Massoth, MD Electronics, PIKO, Tams Elektronik, Uhlenbrock....... to name a few.

As to availability, worth a call or an email to, P and S Hobbies and Model Shop Ltd, P&S Hobbies and Models Online Webshop should be able to advise when they have the Decoder-Serviceboard 8176001 in stock.

View attachment 286327

View attachment 286328
Hi - I've had one of these Massoth Service Boards for a few years but never could figure out the best way to use it. I see you've connected the Massoth PC Programming Module to it. Are you using this configuration to load Massoth sound files onto Massoth sound decoders instead of having to mount the decoder onto a motor block? What other uses can you use the Service Board for? Have you tried using it for a Soundtraxx sound decoder?

R. Wolfe

Registered
25 Jun 2017
Pennsylvania
Best answers
Country flag
I was reading the post and had a question for Tom. I also hook up an LGB 4 wire motor block to the board just to put a motor load on the Decoder. I also hook up a speaker if it's a sound decoder. Is that still necessary when using the board?

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
www.olddominionrailways.com
Best answers
Country flag
I was reading the post and had a question for Tom. I also hook up an LGB 4 wire motor block to the board just to put a motor load on the Decoder. I also hook up a speaker if it's a sound decoder. Is that still necessary when using the board?
Hi R.Wolfe - You need to direct your question to others here that have expertise with using the Massoth Service Board.......but I don't think you need to connect a motor block to test and program a decoder connected to the Service Board. Otherwise, to program a Massoth decoder it must be connected to a locomotive motor block, or, you can use a Massoth PC Programming Module, again, connected to a motor block and should be on a separate programming track. Or, you can use your DCC Command Station in Service Mode connected to a separate programming track. If your DCC Command Station doesn't have Service Mode programming, such as my test stand's Piko unit, then you use a separate track and program in Operations (POM) Mode. In Opeations Mode, I can also test the operation of the CV settings with my locomotive or test motor block by having it on a set of Roller Wheels on the test track.

For ESU decoders using the ESU LokProgrammer Module has the Cab Driver Test feature, where you can test the adjustments to the decoder immediately after making them on your programming track. Unfortunately, the Massoth PC Programming Module does not have that type of operational testing feature, so you have to move the motor block or locomotive from the programming track to a Operations Mode test track to test it.

DRG11

Registered
14 May 2011
Roman City of Bath
Best answers
Country flag
HI Shed,

Many thanks for the info its very helpfull,

Ive contacted P & S hobbies but there OOS and tell me there around 8-10 weeks delay from Massoth,

Thankyou again for the info :)

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
...Unfortunately, the Massoth PC Programming Module does not have that type of operational testing feature, so you have to move the motor block or locomotive from the programming track to a Operations Mode test track to test it.
To avoid having to move the loco I use a DPDT switch to alternate between programming track mode and operations mode.