Massoth Navigators

Tanker man

G scale and 5 inch ride on
10 Jun 2015
Oxford
Best answers
Country flag
Question: I have 3 wireless handsets all 433mz, does anyone know if I can get a 2.4m receiver and handsets and run them together? I doubt that I can buy an extra handset of the old type so is there an option to run them together or will I have to change the old ones, if I want to increase my controls?
I‘ m sure I have seen an article about running the two systems side by side but I cannot find where I read it!
To my mind, it should be possible as I was able to use my old LGB handsets via an adapter ( although they now don’t seem to function properly)
Could I site the two Ariels close together or should they be a distant apart ( if so, how far apart.)
Also, will I need to upgrade everything to the latest/same software level?
Has anyone done this and got it running successfully?
any help appreciated
thanks
Dave

Brixham

No buffers were hurt at this sign
27 Aug 2010
Best answers
Country flag
One of GSS 3CAG group members has recently changed to a Massoth Dimax system.....with 2.4GHz radio control.
Most of the rest of the group using Massoth are 433MHz, but a second 433 receiver has been temporarily added to his system to check that both systems work together.
They do!
Being a new system, the central station probably has recent software

I would think that as long as the 2 receivers are a couple of feet apart, all should be well

He is holding an open day in August, and we shall put the system to a good test with mixed massoth radio fitted navi's
If you're a GSS member....you can search for the open day(s)

My understanding is that an older navi needs quite recent software to run with a new 2.4GHz system as older software doesn't know about the new 2.4GHz system..so can't select it

Malcolm

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
www.olddominionrailways.com
Best answers
Country flag
Question: I have 3 wireless handsets all 433mz, does anyone know if I can get a 2.4m receiver and handsets and run them together? I doubt that I can buy an extra handset of the old type so is there an option to run them together or will I have to change the old ones, if I want to increase my controls?
I‘ m sure I have seen an article about running the two systems side by side but I cannot find where I read it!
To my mind, it should be possible as I was able to use my old LGB handsets via an adapter ( although they now don’t seem to function properly)
Could I site the two Ariels close together or should they be a distant apart ( if so, how far apart.)
Also, will I need to upgrade everything to the latest/same software level?
Has anyone done this and got it running successfully?
any help appreciated
thanks
Dave
Dave, when you upgrade the older Navigator with a 2.4GHz transmitter board, you must also update the firmware for both the Navigator and the transmitter board. You also have to update a 2.4GHz Receiver for the updated Navigator to connect to it. But the updated Navigator will not work with other 2.4GHz Receivers. Several months ago when users contacted Massoth about the problems, they acknowledged the upgrade approach they developed for these older Navigators has a flaw and stated they would work to correct it.

Massoth has a 2.4GHz Conversion Kit, 8130010, which contains a 2.4GHz Transmitter Board and 2.4GHz Receiver, that's less costly than buying the two individual components; the kit is listed on my Website for $240. I've attached the Massoth Guidance Sheet on how to upgrade a Navigator and Receiver to 2.4GHz.

Attachments

• MASSOTH_24GHzV20_Guide.pdf
    75.5 KB · Views: 0

Diesel2000

Registered
18 Feb 2020
Chicago
Best answers
Country flag
Both FM and 2.4ghz can be used at the same time on the same CS. FM navigators connect to FM receiver and 2.4ghz only to 2.4ghz receiver. The Navs have some wireless settings that need to be observed. They can not be used interchangeably. Essentially they are 2 separate systems and Navs for the 2,4ghz system need to have the 2,4ghz transmitter in them.

Diesel2000

Registered
18 Feb 2020
Chicago
Best answers
Country flag
So if you update an older navigator (and it's receiver), brand new 2.4 units will not work with either the upgraded navigators or the upgraded receiver?
There are 2 formats of 2.4ghz now from massoth - the original (gen1) and now 2.0. They are are not compatible with each other. Gen1 2.4ghz NAV/Transmitter and Receiver can be updated (firmware) to 2.0.

The transmitter and receiver for older FM and 2.4ghz (either version) are not compatible with each other and FM components can not be upgraded (firmware). It requires the 2,4ghz components of the transmitter and receiver.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
So old 400 MHz update to 2.4, is that compatible with gen1 2.4?

I'm reading and rereading your post, and it seems the answer is that none of the following is compatible with any other one:

• 400 mhz system upgraded to 2.4
  • gen 1 2.4 system
  • gen 2 2.4 system
Is this true?

Diesel2000

Registered
18 Feb 2020
Chicago
Best answers
Country flag
So old 400 MHz update to 2.4, is that compatible with gen1 2.4?

I'm reading and rereading your post, and it seems the answer is that none of the following is compatible with any other one:

• 400 mhz system upgraded to 2.4
  • gen 1 2.4 system
  • gen 2 2.4 system
Is this true?
Old 400mhz is NOT compatible with gen1 2.4Ghz. None of the 3 systems are compatible with each other - all components must be of the same spec. gen1 2.4ghz transmitter and receiver can have firmware upgraded to 2.0, and it requires a NAV firmware update as well. FM/400mhz is obsolete and not upgradable. There were multiple specs for FM - both US and EU, which is partly why they moved to 2.4ghzin the first place to have a single standard.

IMO Massoth has bungled their wireless formats and components. the 2.0 2.4ghz was introduced to be more stable that gen1, but the current iteration of it does NOT allow you to pair a 2.4ghz 2.0 transmitter to more than 1 receiver. What that means is if you want to take you NAV to an operating session at a buddy's then your NAV will not successfully stay paired with his system. Dont ask me how I know that, but Massoth has confirmed and are working to fix this new limitation. FM and gen 1 2.4ghz did NOT have this problem and you could easily port NAVs between wireless systems. With 2.4ghz 2.0 you have to reinstall the firmware and effectively erase the pairing in order to pair with a new receiver once its been paired with one.

Last edited:

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
"...FM/400mhz is obsolete and not upgradable..."

Presumably this means that whilst you can't update the actual FM circuit board installed in the Nav, you can swap it out for for a 2.4Ghz board?

Also, AFYK, is there any reason why the 2.4 Ghz system won't work with the older 1200Z central stations?

Diesel2000

Registered
18 Feb 2020
Chicago
Best answers
Country flag
"...FM/400mhz is obsolete and not upgradable..."

Presumably this means that whilst you can't update the actual FM circuit board installed in the Nav, you can swap it out for for a 2.4Ghz board?
Correct - you can replace the FM transmitter board in the NAV with a 2.4ghz transmitter. It may require a firmware update on the NAV depending what version its running and if using gen1 2.4ghz or 2.0.

There is an upgrade kit that includes the 2.4ghz transmitter for the NAV and new receiver available from Massoth and their dealers.

Also, AFYK, is there any reason why the 2.4 Ghz system won't work with the older 1200Z central stations?
I have an 800z and both versions of the 2.4gh systems work just fine on it. I would suspect depending on age the 1200z would need a firmware update to 2.65. I updated the firmware to that version on my 800z. All functionality mirrors that of my 1210z with the same firmware, with the exception that the voltage setting in the CS menu doesnt actually control the voltage applied to the rails, which was a hardware limitation with the 800z.

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Great. Thanks for the rapid response!