Massoth Navigator

shropshire lad

Registered
25 Jan 2010
Sunny Shropshire
Best answers
Hi guys, I'm debating buying a Navigator throttle with a view to converting it to wireless operation when I'm a little more flush with cash.
Any feedback, good or bad, from users would be most useful
Cheers |Colin

Mez

Registered
30 Mar 2010
Oxfordshire
Best answers
I like mine.
Dont know how to use all its applications yet.
Nice:clap:

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Conversion to wireless is an easy task. Buy the transmitter & receiver (make sure you get the correct one), open the back of the navigator, plug the transmitter in, put the navigator back together, connect up the receiver, job done.

You wont regret it.

HBBahn

Registered
21 Nov 2009
North Wales
Best answers
Country flag
They're fab.

But if you can stretch to it, get the wireless handset straight off. You can still use it with the cable, and it's cheaper than doing the upgrade later. Obviously, you'll still have to get the wireless receiver later, no saving there!

littletone

Land Rover 101, Golf
25 Oct 2009
Sutton, Surrey, just south of London
Best answers
Country flag
Great bit of kit, love it.
BUT my wireless receiver went wrong, so Jeremy sent it back to Massoth, that was 3 or 4 months ago and still no wireless receiver.

Kevin

Registered
24 Oct 2009
East Mids
Best answers
Country flag
I love mine. What I particularly like is the ability to see on a pictorial representation on screen of the loco under control and real time power consumption etc. Switching operating modes takes a little getting use to but the opportunities in terms of functionality available is immense. I'm operating mine wireless and that is so good. They are expensive but a quality product and a joy to use. Good for it!

philkelly

France, railcars, DCC
24 Oct 2009
Islington, London & Vienne, France
Best answers
Country flag
Kevin said:
I love mine. What I particularly like is the ability to see on a pictorial representation on screen of the loco under control and real time power consumption etc. Switching operating modes takes a little getting use to but the opportunities in terms of functionality available is immense. I'm operating mine wireless and that is so good. They are expensive but a quality product and a joy to use. Good for it!

Couldn't agree more!

nico

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Ireland
nslrailroad.webs.com
Best answers
philkelly said:
Kevin said:

Couldn't agree more!

same here:clap:

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
love mine, ideal ,easy to use,makes a ideal phone..:rofl:

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
They are brill.:D

Nemo

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Ilkeston, Derbyshire.
Best answers
Country flag
I had the same issue about 2 months ago, eventually I bought the wireless one and receiver which costs more money but well worth the extra cash. However buying the tethered one, it can be upgraded as mentioned earlier in this thread. Which ever way you go you will certainly not regret it.

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Am I to take it that you are on mts 3.

Compared to the two lgb handsets it in a different universe.

Loco control , automatic functions.,auto routes, change points.control two locos double head change Cvs. Must I go on

Love it

shropshire lad

Registered
25 Jan 2010
Sunny Shropshire
Best answers
Thanks everyone, looks like some shopping at the weekend for me then :D
I'm currently running Lenz kit Phil, the command unit is stunning but even with updates the LH100 is showing it's age badly and there isn't a sensible cordless option available.
Looking forward to getting a new toy now, I suppose I should try and finish the railway extension to make it worthwhile!!

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Philbahn said:
Am I to take it that you are on mts 3.

Compared to the two lgb handsets it in a different universe.

Loco control , automatic functions.,auto routes, change points.control two locos double head change Cvs. Must I go on

Love it

Errm. You can do all those things with an LGB 55015 too! Oh and you can have your double-headers any way round you like, unlike the Massoth which doesn;t have that facility.

Now I've tried a Navigator but found it baffling, whereas the LGB kit is intuitive to me. I'm sticking to LGB kit, but I'll freely acknowledge that many of the GSC crowd swear by their Navvies.

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
I agree it does take a bit if getting use to Peter. But it is all in one hand.

And the back to front double heading is being looked into.

Suppose it is whatever floats your boat

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
Hello Colin,

It sounds as if you have discounted the XPA option. It works well and is VERY cheap compared to anything else, you do have to remember loco addresses and a few key press sequences. Maybe it is worth considering just to try out if cordless operation suits you.

To use a Navigator with Lenz you would need a DiMax multi receiver; I was not aware that these were available yet. Also I would be very careful about what features on the Navigator would be supported with the Lenz system. You will probably find that not all of them are; best to check before buying.

If you have a little more time and cash to invest you could go for software from RR&Co http://www.railroadandco.com/ this will allow you to use most smartphones/iPod/iPad etc to control your layout. Not only would you get pictures of your trains, but also a schematic diagram of your layout + a bunch of other features. You would also need a computer connected to your Lenz system + a WiFi network. I haven't tried this yet myself but by all accounts it works very well and I will be trying it out myself soon.

Hope that helps.

Steve

I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was b
1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Best answers
Country flag
Best bit of kit i have bought , beat the Iphone hands down :clap:

Phil

Trains, Just Trains.
25 Oct 2009
Oldham, Manchester.
Best answers
Country flag
I like these alot but i've not been able too buy one because funds don't allow at the moment maybe never :banghead:
But have been fortunate enough too use them at philbahns and mike and they are a amazing piece of blue kit best thing that look's like a smurf :rofl:

NigelP

Registered
22 May 2010
North Yorkshire
Best answers
Phil said:
I like these alot but i've not been able too buy one because funds don't allow at the moment maybe never :banghead:
But have been fortunate enough too use them at philbahns and mike and they are a amazing piece of blue kit best thing that look's like a smurf :rofl:

LOL - I'll start calling mine the smurf from now on :D

shropshire lad

Registered
25 Jan 2010
Sunny Shropshire
Best answers
Hi Cliff thanks for the advice. :clap:
I've tried the xpa option and found it very limiting, I find it ok when controlling only one loco so it does have it's uses.
Dcc supplies has the Di max multi receivers in stock and are really clued up so I can check out any limits before buying.
Ideally i would like to get a complete new system but funds do not permit for the foreseeable future.