Massoth eMotion XLS decoder's Servo Control Settings

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
www.olddominionrailways.com
Best answers
Country flag
I would say yes, and if you are using a normal +5v regulator with a "straight through ground" you can hook the servo black/ground/- wire to the DEC- or you can use the ground on the output side of the regulator.

Do not try to "dim' an output to give you 5 volts.... don't even think about that... for an entire paragraph of reasons.

Greg

Okay, sage advice...….I ordered a six pack of the 5 volt regulators LM2596 DC to DC Buck Converted 3.0 - 40v to 1.5-35V Power Supply Step Down Module, the one shown in John's diagram in lower left corner, for $10.65 today.

The Massoth XLS Sound decoder installation instructions don't mention anything about having to use a 5 volt regulator to power a 5 volt servo like the Kadee #11220 Uncoupler in any of their information about using the decoder's A7 "Servo" connector. Maybe it's because the Massoth automatic uncoupler is a servo that uses 22 volts, so maybe Massoth didn't think about the need for guidance on using 5 volt servos which are the dominant type?

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
Best answers
Country flag
A7 on the XLS is a solder pad on the underside.

The diagram below is for a XL, Note the connection of the Function output (A3 in this case, A7 on the XLS) connects to one of the "servo" pads on the underside of the 6v regulator board in order to use the onboard pull up resistor.

View attachment 248167

Thanks Muns - Yes, I've got all the instructions about using the Massoth XLS A7 connection for the servo. As I just mentioned to Greg, however, there's no discussion in the Massoth instructions about the need to use a 5 volt regulation for connecting a 5 volt servo. How did you discover the need to do so?

D

Deleted member 4232

Moved

Last edited by a moderator:

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
Best answers
Country flag
Just out of curiosity, is this the same XLS as in post 1, as used for the Phoenix Solenoid?

John - Yes, my original post was asking the basic question whether the Massoth eMotion XLS Sound Decoder could accommodate the Phoenix automatic uncoupler and/or the Kadee #11220 automatic uncoupler. Bottom line: Phoenix uncoupler no because needs the separate Phoenix controller; Kadee yes, if use with a 5 volt regulator to connect it.

Since the Massoth decoder's Installation and Configuration Manuals make no mention of needing to use a 5 volt regulator to connect a 5 volt servo, I wondering how everyone discovered this requirement? Certainly the Massoth documentation should be amended.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I think the 5 volts is the requirement of the servo you chose, sort of saying it is your responsibility to power your servo with the appropriate voltage.

It might be that the power supply on the decoder cannot handle a lot of additional drain, or they don't want to share the 5v power (which usually goes to flash, ram and the microprocessor.

If you check out the Zimo manuals, they make an adapter board that the decoder plugs into and provides 5v for servos... they also show circuits with a 5 volt 3 terminal regulator added...

Everyone does it differently... perhaps it is a manufacturing decision... one less way to blow up their hardware if you provide the 5v.

Greg

D

Deleted member 4232

Moved

D

Deleted member 4232

Moved