Massoth Dimax - maximum track voltage setting?

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
I'm running (or going to be running, when the currently-in-progress line is ready!) an eclectic mix of new and old (some VERY old) LGB locos, plus a few other things - a Piko V260, a Hartland Mack, a couple of Playmobil "bodges" etc. In addition, I've got several older bits of LGB rolling stock such as the post vans, which have track-powered lighting using the old screw-in 19v bulbs.
Now, I've got a Dimax unit with the facility - only available on the newer firmware I understand - to set the maximum track voltage to something lower than the standard 24 volts. What I'm wondering, for the sake of the lighted rolling stock and the older (and the non-LGB) motors, is whether I should set the Dimax down to 19 volts for everything? What brought this to mind right now was the discussions with Gizzy about the MRC decoders, looking up their instructions online I see they state a maximum track voltage input of 21 volts - so the standard Massoth 24 volts might be pushing it a little?

Jon.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Zerogee said:
What I'm wondering, for the sake of the lighted rolling stock and the older (and the non-LGB) motors, is whether I should set the Dimax down to 19 volts for everything?
Jon.
I would set it to 18 Volts Jon?

Should be enough for realistic running.

I use an 18 V/10 A PSU with the Train Engineer, and in my opinion, that's just about right unless you want race track speeds....

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I've probably mentioned it before, but I run my NCE system at around 18 volts. Seems to be plenty enough for my purposes. I run various brands of decoder within LGB, Aristo, Bachmann, HLW, Playmobil and Maerklin Maxi locos and ranging from little Mack and suger-cane locos up to SD-45 diesel and Mikado steamer.

Overall, I'd say most of my fleet was designed for 18 volts, with some probably only 14v. I haven't noticed any undue slowness or lack of power of the supposed 24v LGB locos, but then again I don't belt stuff around at full tilt.

Another way round the problem is to insert some suitably powerful diodes between the decoder inputs and the track pickups to reduce the voltage seen by the decoder by a couple of volts per diode. You'd have to fit reverse paired diodes to allow current flow in both directions. Not had to do it myself, but I remember that was a suggested way of running Bachmann locos with factory-fitted sound decoders that shutdown if they see over 18 volts!

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
Another vote for 18v. Thats what I run my Lenz system at. Never had any problems with any make of loco or rolling stock.

HBBahn

Registered
21 Nov 2009
North Wales
Best answers
Country flag
Zerogee said:
Now, I've got a Dimax unit with the facility - only available on the newer firmware I understand -
For info, it's actually a hardware upgrade for older 1200Zs - I know, I asked when mine had to go back.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Ah, glad I've got a newish one with the facility built-in then! :D

Thanks to all for the suggestions, looks like a setting of 18 volts may be the way to go for safety.

Jon.

shropshire lad

Registered
25 Jan 2010
Sunny Shropshire
Best answers
I was running 18V using Lenz kit but found when I fitted a 19v pulsed smoke generator that the track voltage had to go up to 21v to get the required voltage from the function output. I've got a chipped gandy dancer with a 12v motor so to avoid any mishaps I set the maximum chip motor output to 12v via the cv's.
Colin

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
I am ready to be corrected but I thought that AC supply is about 2/3 the actual voltage of a DC supply. Therfore a bulb rated at 18V should be OK with 24 V AC (or DCC which is similar but slightly different)
It also depends on how hard you intend to drain the power on your layout - as Volts go down Amps increase. A higher voltage will give a greater overall power.