Marklin Maxi Gauge 1 questions....?

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Anyone here have much practical experience of Marklin's gauge 1 line, particularly the Maxi range items? I know they are largely tinplate and quite "vintage" in style, but what about the gearboxes, motors and power systems? I've seen some of them listed as AC/DC operation, how does this work and can they be chipped for DCC operation with MTS/Massoth rather than Marklin's proprietary system (I mean their OTHER system, since of course they now own MTS too....)?

Any info gratefully received!

Jon.

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Jon
I think this question has come up before, might worth searching the forum.
I have this one from the old Maxi range (my excuse being it's the same name as SWMBO!):
64a9b4e1370c4ee68a5bde048a13a798.jpg

They have a DC motor and come with plug-in adapter boards to run on AC or the Delta digital system. I quite like the quaint "toy-like" construction.

Very simple to fit an NMRA DCC decoder, I made an adapter board to wire it in. Full write-up is here:
http://falconer-family.org.uk/marklin_54505_dcc_fitting.html

The mechanism seems reasonably robust, though I don't run it an awful lot.

James Day

Guano Corner Rly - Runs weekly - Guano permitting
6 May 2012
Warwickshire
Best answers
Country flag
I have had some experience of running these with LGB. Some chums and I did a garden event on the Isle of Wight each summer, the last being in 2007. We would borrow a Maxi Train set each year from David Shirley, who was the founder of the wonderful Fort Victoria Model Railway. The set he loaned us each year was usually taken out of stock from his shop and handed over to us complete. I then had the job of opening up the underside of the loco, removing the plug in circuit board AC 'chip' and inserting the DC one supplied as an extra item with the set. I never used the included track , which was standard Marklin G1 and relatively finescale and not suitable for use on anything other than a completely flat and level surface - Most definately not a lawn!

Changing the chip had the effect of allowing the loco to run on DC, but backwards in relation to LGB and Playmobil. There was nothing that could be easily done to reverse the direction of travel, given that we did not own the loco, so a re-wiring was off the agenda. The loco was then oiled up and ran in sun and rain for the two days solid before being handed back, and then presumably sold....

As the loco ran the opposite way round to all other our other items, we usually employed it on a circuit that featured catenary, with a steeple cab fed through an overhead supply, hauling a train that did a lap, swapping over with the maxi train after each circuit. An LGB magnet was blue-tacked to the underside of the maxi train loco to activate automation.

The maxi series was slightly smaller in stature than our other stock and nothing that we had would couple to it, although I have since seen coupling adapters that link LGB to Marklin on e-bay. The wheel standards are slightly heavier than LGB too, and whilst the loco and stock will negotiate LGB points, they tend to clunk a little as they do so.

The mech was rugged and durable, as you would expect with Marklin and the build quality was superb.

I later heard that the range had been discontinued, which is a pity, as it had a lot of charm, but not enough to persuade me to actually buy any!

James

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the info, Nick, and the link to your write-up - very useful! :D

Jon.

PS: thanks to James too!

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Just a supplementary question that you may be able to answer, Nick (or anyone else?) - if you want to completely disassemble one of these locos, is everything screwed together - or are there likely to be any nasty surprises like rivetted bits?

Jon.

James Day

Guano Corner Rly - Runs weekly - Guano permitting
6 May 2012
Warwickshire
Best answers
Country flag
I never had the ones that we borrowed completely in bits, but as I recall everything necessary was easily accessible with screws. Most of it was done through the removable bottom of the chassis, which was held in place by a single screw at one end and a retaining pin that it clipped over at the other.

James

Brixham

No buffers were hurt at this sign
27 Aug 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Details of the Max Lok 01 060 steam loco chassis.

It is made from metal, 0.5mm steel? frames, mainly screwed together. The front two axles pick up power from shiny silver discs behind the spokes, along with a pair of sprung sliders. The rear axle has no power pickup, this has the worm drive, and a pair of traction tyres. All axles are in bearings, the centre pair are sprung.

Running qualities, because of the short wheelbase and shallow flanges, long plastic frogs such as found on LGB R5 and Piko curved points cause stalling.
LGB R3 seem fine, not yet tested on R1

93076E5B-7AF1-4683-BED8-7966C2B8A6A4.jpegBE8A305F-98D1-4E78-8B88-3A2F49ED5F60.jpegACA719B5-4C14-49B1-87C5-32E403176E5D.jpeg

Last edited:

Brixham

27 Aug 2010
Best answers
Country flag
And some more details.....
E51BCCB1-AA80-4B4A-9E48-920BE0FC47F6.jpeg5B0DCB0B-C2A7-45E3-8CDF-6EE83EFDD17E.jpeg

Attachments

• 629A5B15-A6EC-4BCD-BCD3-26100336723C.jpeg
    629A5B15-A6EC-4BCD-BCD3-26100336723C.jpeg
    414 KB · Views: 0

Brixham

27 Aug 2010
Best answers
Country flag
The couplers have actuating arms which are very close to railhead level, on one R3 point the loco jumps, I think the front coupler is catching a switch rail. The mechanism is very quiet, and as it has a 12 volt motor, moves before a straight analogue LGB loco. Top speed is fine. Weight about 1.5 Kg, maybe more.
Hauling power, as yet untested.
I tried the smoke, but may have overfilled the chimney! The smoke is controlled by a toggle switch in the cab.

Malcolm

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag