Marklin (LGB) S88 DC 60882 Feedback Module Help

ReelfootJim

Registered
10 Dec 2017
St. Louis, MO, USA
Best answers
I’m setting up an S88 DC Feedback module on my CS3+ to detect contact within blocks. I’ve finally get it working, but notice that block sizes can’t be too large for the resistance detection. Anyone, know the optimal or maximum distance within each block for the S88 to effective detect the presence of Cars?

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
I don't have a CS3 so not sure how much help I can be. My experience of block detection has used current rather than resistance (LDT kit) using S88 or Lenz RS bus. Is your concern around the cable length from the block to the CS3+ (wires) or the length of the block (rails)? I would be surprised if the length of the block (rails) would be a problem with code 332 brass track.

ReelfootJim

Registered
10 Dec 2017
St. Louis, MO, USA
Best answers
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I meant current. The length of the rails is my concern. I was able to get contact zone 1 working, but zone 2 & 3 would not work. However, after I shortened zone 2, it started working. Maybe there something else that I need to take into consideration.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
It possibly sounds like you had an'iffy' (technical term, that) joint in your track? - Possibly, in the section you removed? - Or did you just redefine the boundaries between the sections?

ReelfootJim

Registered
10 Dec 2017
St. Louis, MO, USA
Best answers
I like your technical term. ;-). I just redefined the boundaries. It originally covered a stretch that also included a siding. I moved the boundary to the outer most section beyond the siding switch. But to no avail, so I moved it just prior to the beginning of the siding and the feedback section worked as expected. This is my first go at using a feedback module, so I’m learning as I go. Thanks in advance for the advice.

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Typically blocks would not include sidings, otherwise you don't know whether the train is on the main line or the siding. You would have another block for the siding, and typically leave the point section "neutral" (i.e. with no detection).

ReelfootJim

Registered
10 Dec 2017
St. Louis, MO, USA
Best answers
Thanks. This layout is a carpet railroad (test track) to learn how the new Feedback module works. So, I just put in arbitray sections to tests the functionality. I was just having issues when the sections where long It did not provide the respective results.

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag

ReelfootJim

Registered
10 Dec 2017
St. Louis, MO, USA
Best answers
I've looked at the 60882 manual and I can't see any reference to distance limits
https://static.maerklin.de/damcontent/f3/d4/f3d441f7cb397501154cd11d49346e751579266054.pdf
Have you tried the Maerklin users forum? For example:
Feedback Module Difference - S88 v L88
This doesn't answer your question but it looks like there are some experts in this technology on that forum.
Thanks for the extra effort. I have also posted over on the Märklin forum, but haven’t found an answer yet. I think the answer will ultimately be that I need multiple feedback sections(that are shorter) within the blocks.