Marklin CS3 to Booster - Anyone done it yet?

andyspencer

Registered
30 Oct 2009
West Midlands
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all,

Just wondering if anybody has connected a CS3 up to a booster and used it on a layout that needs more than 5amps? We're still waiting on Massoth to reply to out technical query...

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
HI Andy,

Just wondering if anybody has connected a CS3 up to a booster and used it on a layout that needs more than 5amps?
I don't know how I missed this question. I've been using two Märklin 60175 boosters with individual 5A power supplies along with my CS3 for quite awhile. I did buy a 60145 Terminal to expand the number of CAN ports. (I have a S88 Link module I hope to put to work soon!)

This does still limit each booster zone to 5A however it does preserve the full mfx capability.

If, however, your question concerns using a booster with more amperage capacity by connecting to CDE inputs, I have not tried it.

Diesel2000

Registered
18 Feb 2020
Chicago
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all,

Just wondering if anybody has connected a CS3 up to a booster and used it on a layout that needs more than 5amps? We're still waiting on Massoth to reply to out technical query...
Massoth makes a special cable for use of the 1202B booster with the Marklin CS3/CS3+

From Massoth site booster page:
* The booster can be operated as a driving booster at the Märklin CS II / III Central Station. The matching connection cable 8312086 DiMAX Booster CAN bus cable for Märklin CS is not included in the scope of delivery. The MfX feedback is not yet available at the current time and is to be retrofitted with an additional module at a later date.

I have not used this set up yet but intend to later on in the year.

andyspencer

Registered
30 Oct 2009
West Midlands
Best answers
Country flag
After a considerable delay, we did hear back from Massoth who have tested and confirmed for us that we can connect a CS3 to two of their boosters, giving the layout 2x 12 amp power districts. They also confirmed that MFX locos will not register on the booster powered part of the layout at the moment, but the part, when available to allow this can be retro fitted in the future. Currently the loco needs to be registered on a length of track connected directly to the CS3.

Diesel2000

Registered
18 Feb 2020
Chicago
Best answers
Country flag
After a considerable delay, we did hear back from Massoth who have tested and confirmed for us that we can connect a CS3 to two of their boosters, giving the layout 2x 12 amp power districts. They also confirmed that MFX locos will not register on the booster powered part of the layout at the moment, but the part, when available to allow this can be retro fitted in the future. Currently the loco needs to be registered on a length of track connected directly to the CS3.
Thanks for that info! So to be clear once an MFX loco is registered directly to the CS3 it can be controlled through the Massoth Booster in MFX?

Did Massoth provide any more details on this MFX adapter for the 1202B booster like when it would be available, etc?

andyspencer

Registered
30 Oct 2009
West Midlands
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for that info! So to be clear once an MFX loco is registered directly to the CS3 it can be controlled through the Massoth Booster in MFX?

Did Massoth provide any more details on this MFX adapter for the 1202B booster like when it would be available, etc?
Yes that's what they've told me. They had no info ref availability timings. It sounds like they have more work than engineer time availability at the moment...

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
So to be clear once an MFX loco is registered directly to the CS3 it can be controlled through the Massoth Booster in MFX?
My understanding of boosters (I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong!) is that they are essentially current amplifiers. They "boost" the output current available to consumers irregardless input signal protocol. See this for some helpful info on booster CDE connections:https://manualzz.com/doc/en/25550080/booster-cde

I assume the Massoth booster's internal short circuit sensors will shutdown power if a short occurs. I do wonder how the "STOP" command from a CS3 is handled though. Is this one consistent element across all central stations/protocols? Warning - speculation coming. Perhaps a lack of input signal causes the booster to cut power?

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
www.olddominionrailways.com
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all,

Andy - Sounds like you got your answer from the excellent replies. However, I'll provide some additional information that may interest you and others on this forum. First, the Massoth 1202 Digital Booster powered with a Massoth 12 Amp DC Power Supply provides DCC output to one or two track sections in either 6 amp outputs, or as Massoth advises, by connecting the two outputs together, one output of 12 amps can be produced to the track. The Boost will be controlled by the main DCC Command Station, either a Massoth 1210Z 12 Amp Command Station, or by a 5 Amp CS3/+ Command Station. This option will provide 12 Amps DCC output to your entire track layout probably without the need of setting up one or two booster track sections. Since the Massoth 1210z DCC Command Station already puts out 12 Amps to the track, you'd not need to use the Booster unless you wanted to set up a second 12 Block for a really huge layout. But for the CS3/+, since it only outputs 5 Amps DCC, you'd just not connect the DCC output to your track layout and instead use the Massoth Booster as the main source of your DCC output to your layout. Pretty neat!