Mamod Slate Train

Chris Bird

Steam,gardening, photography
14 Dec 2009
Dorset
Best answers
I thought that buying a nice secondhand Mamod would be an easy way to make a nostalgic little film (one of these was my first steam loco back in the 80's). Let's just say it wasn't easy - but I did manage to make a very short video to share.

You can see it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYlE...7de2059849287d.jpg[/IMG] Cheers Chris

Rosco

Registered
20 Dec 2009
Leytonstone
Best answers
Great video Chris. I have the mss version which sometimes goes faster than Mallard and sometimes not at all. Still good fun though.

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
Re:Mamod Slate Train

Rosco said:
Great video Chris. I have the mss version which sometimes goes faster than Mallard and sometimes not at all. Still good fun though.

Snap!

Richie

Rio Grande Railroad , Mountain biking , Gardening
24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers

Nice video and line Chris :clap: That reminds me that i haven't steamed my Mamod for over 20 years still in its box some where .

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag

Looks good Chris

Spule 4

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Les États-Unis
Best answers

A fine bit of Mamodery....:D

Love mine, would not part with it for the world, or the close to $1000 I have in the silly thing, I think it only has 5 or so original bits!

Chris Bird

Steam,gardening, photography
14 Dec 2009
Dorset
Best answers

Thanks guys - glad you liked the video. Good job you didn't see the hour of film I had to delete (OK about ten minutes - but all very fast!).
Maybe this should be a "Run your Mamod (or MSS)" weekend. Beware though - they are such a challenge that it is easy to become a bit obsessed with trying to make them run smoothly:D
For the record, mine came as 45mm with knackered IP cylinders but a nice IP boiler, new wheels and a small meths burner. It had all been re-plumbed with soft solder and my first fire did for the joints. It now has PPS cylinders, new axles (I bent the old ones re-gauging to 32mm) and has been re-plumbed with a new silver soldered lubricator. It still has the meths burner which has to go - it only lasts a few minutes!
I have kept the body original so far, because that is the nostalgic bit.
Cheers
Chris