Making stainz smoke

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all, I have an old Stainz 2020, no smoke or sound and with the larger chimney. I would like to change to the straight funnel and smoke, and have seen lgb's kit for sale here and there. has anyone tried changing any non smoking Stainz into having a habit, as my current funnel screws through the boiler to a nut on the underside and holds the front end together. Does the replacement do the same?
Many thanks, Tim

themole

tramways
25 Oct 2009
In a burrow.
Best answers
Country flag
Tim, a straight swap with a smoking straight stack (18 volt version) is no problem; just then wire a lead from the + to the base swivel contact (makes contact with the smoking stack base) the other side - the the outer . Hope that makes sense, Alyn.:clap:

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Alyn, think you made my day, ordered and on it's way.
Thanks for your help

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all, smoke unit just turned up, fitted and wired, really easy and much happier with the smaller stack.
I now have a really silly problem, I've never had a smoke unit before, and there is no instructions on how to use it, like how much oil to put in and how long it may last, so please can I put out a call for help on operating my new [STRIKE]toy[/STRIKE] model? It's a 18v straight smoke funnel, being used on analogue power.
Many thanks in advance, Tim

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
nicebutdim said:
Hi all, smoke unit just turned up, fitted and wired, really easy and much happier with the smaller stack.
I now have a really silly problem, I've never had a smoke unit before, and there is no instructions on how to use it, like how much oil to put in and how long it may last, so please can I put out a call for help on operating my new [strike]toy[/strike] model? It's a 18v straight smoke funnel, being used on analogue power.
Many thanks in advance, Tim

Tim if it's an LGB unit you can still run it dry. You can buy smoke fluid, or do what several people do here at mix your own from 50% barbeque lighter fluid and 50% citronella oil. Only one or two drops from a pippet or syringe is suffecient (too much and it won't work). The only thing that you may find is that with the 18 volt version you have to run the loco at about a scale 90mph for it to work on analogue.

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
Just a couple of drops? there was me thinking it would need somewhere in the 5ml range, good job I asked first! Thanks for saving my bacon there. Will give it a go in a min, will have to set up a circle of track as the rest is being placed in the garden with the start of my build.
Thanks for your help, Tim

Old Tom

Registered
10 Apr 2010
West Sussex
tomlancaster.weebly.com
Best answers
I don't know if this will be any help (or just serve to confuse things!) but I increased the smoke emissions by using 0.6 ohm resistors on my OO gauge locos between the pickups and the motor which dropped the voltage to the motor so that the loco ran slowly - but not the smoke unit, it gets the full whack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwMeKaLhHfc

I don't have any experience with doing the same thing to G-Scale so if this is a waste of time, sorry...

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
Old Tom said:
I don't have any experience with doing the same thing to G-Scale so if this is a waste of time, sorry...
Hey, anything that helps is worth a go!! I've just given it a try and found that yes, it does nearly require warp speed 3 to get it puffing, so making the speed of the motor slower really does seem like a good idea, worth a try in my eyes...