Making gravel solid/kid proof?

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
So I recently broke through the fence that seperates my part of the garden (veg and trains) from the rugrats territory to achive a straighter/longer run.

I hadn't thought through the gravel track bed as a temptation to kids- I have toddlers and they have got the idea after a few firm words- but there are also countless other kids passing through- and they seem magnetised to the track to redistibute the gravel round the garden! Arghhh.

Is there an invisible something I could spray over to solidify things?

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
There must be some effective pesticide available..........oh! Sorry, to spray on the gravel you mean.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

LNERGE

Registered
1 Nov 2009
Best answers
My railway sits around 2ft off the ground on various constructions ranging from brick walls to wooden trestles. From the outset it was obvious the track would be exposed to the little ones as they learn to walk etc. I use Alpine grit secured with diluted PVA glue to hold the track in place. So far there have been no problems even when the children pull themselves up after gravity has given them a little lesson. I have had to top up the odd ballast shoulder in places and give the more exposed sections another coat of glue every three years or so. No7 is due within the next month or so so next spring i'll be out there checking and applying glue as required.

stevelewis

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Buckley NR MOLD NORTH WALES
Best answers
The snag is with "making the Gravel solid" ( I assume that you are referring to your track ballast here?)

Is that a solid base in which the track sits is not really ideal, the track should 'float' jyust like the real thing!

Sounds a bit strange, but track which moves with the pasage of trains gives a smoother ride and the current continuity is enhanced as the reail within railjoiner gains slight movement, thus reducing the risk of corrosion build up, Years ago I didn't believe all this but over the years I have found it to be correct!

My early G scale years had the privilage of very young children being present ( 3 OF MY OWN & their friends)
but I dont really recall experincing any problems with the railway with them, my own enjoying it immensley and the visitors always being most respectful

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I use screenings from the quarry. They vary in size from stone dust to about 1/8", maybe alittle larger. Once they are in place for a week or so, they bind together. Not solid like concrete, but firm enough to hold the track in place and allow one to walk on it. The other advantage is that the stones and powder offer no real incentive to pick them up as they are too small to throw. The only down side is during the first week or so of knitting. The local cats find it makes a good litter box. But once its hard they leave it alone and go back to the mulch in my wife's garden.

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
I use the PVA mix to stick it down and on this section I used some cement powder sifted on as well. it worked great for at least 3 years before Puffy the brainless one got rather large and not so puffy anymore.....................

25d0e0a16b364699bc0e5c364bd0544f.jpg
f30e428bac7b4716baed52d6d08bda60.jpg

Spule 4

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Les États-Unis
Best answers
Portland, works wonders.