making Corrugated iron from plastic sheets

gregh

electronics, computers and scratchbuilding
1 Nov 2009
Sydney, Australia
www.members.optusnet.com.au
Best answers
Country flag
Martino asked (in this thread of mine http://www.gscalecentral.net/m80207 ) how I make corrugated iron from plastic sheet. So here?s the idea.
I use a paper corrugating tool from Fiskars I got it in the US somewhere years ago but can?t remember where. I found a Fiskars 12-93408897 Paper Crimper at Amazon.com which looks like it ? do a google for yourself.
97ecc8d0618c49cb81b62f8f0fdfbc1c.jpg

I have tried using aluminium cans as the material and it is OK but wears out the rollers quickly. I could never get the same ?pitch? of corrugations from one sheet to the next so they didn?t overlap well.

So now I use ?PVC plastic cover sheet?. It?s used for making the covers on reports. I got a lot from work, but you can buy it from stationary and craft stores. Costs about 50c for an A4 sheet. (probably cheaper if you buy a box of it) It?s relatively thick ( 1mm ?). Overhead transparency sheets are too thin and don?t work. Neither will 0.5mm styrene.

This stuff only takes the corrugations in strips up to about 100mm wide ? I usually make mine 75mm ? about 6 scale feet. Maybe different tools would work better.

First I sand both sides with fine sandpaper for the glue (1 side) and paint (the other), in the direction along where the corrugations will be. You can just see in this pic that I have sanded half the sheet.
8b776b991dfb43a0bd5ced6f4203c542.jpg

Then it?s put through the ?gator MULTIPLE times. On the first pass you will see the corrugations but they aren?t very deep. Then turn the piece over and do it again, then end-for-end it and do again and turn over again. Making sure you line up the corrugations each time. It may even be necessary to do it another 4 times. But you will get corrugations!
5f559875eee547a1ad0a63c57cf18168.jpg

I usually glue it over styrene sheet with a silicone sealer, then paint. I have had it outside for over 5 years now and no problem. Not getting brittle. Here?s an example. I put it on in large sheets and when dry, I lightly cut out/score some 50mm wide pieces to represent separate sheets of iron.
ca467dd9f0844a10b868a613b4755dcc.jpg

I represent rust and dirt by using cement oxides. Dropping a ?pinch? of brown powder creates a big rust spot. Drag your finger down the sheet and you?ve got thin rust. Then a spray with clear lacquer ? even gloss soon weathers to dull.

54f741d0e1ee410d83dc91cfbd0f576b.jpg

Martino

Photography, The GWR, Aviation, Travel, Cars.
24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
That's great Greg. Thank you very much.

Off to Michael's (home of 'Ladies that do scrapbooking' etc) tomorrow and see if I can find the roller. Plenty of the plastic sheets hidden in one of my draws at work!

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
I like! Very realistic! :clap::clap::clap:

Andrew

Garden Railways in all scales
26 Oct 2009
Bomaderry, NSW, Australia
Best answers
Looks Good Greg, Will tell Graeme.
Regards from Sandbar & Mudcrab

Granitechops

Narrow Gauge 1/12th scale on 45mm</br>Quarrying &
24 Oct 2009
Sunny Devon Uk
Best answers
I fancy some corrugated sheets, but I model in 1/12th scale, so that means 1/4inch pitch,
anyone done that size, would be eqivalent of big 6 in 1/24th scale
only way I could think is to make a press former out of some dowelling & clamp two halves together with the ali in between?
Probably have to roll it from one end so as the sheet can pull into the curves

owlpool

Welsh NG in the mountains. live steam
25 Oct 2009
Brecon Beacons, South Wales
Best answers
Country flag
excellent
I've used beercans up til now - but those look more robust
great paint effect too

gregh

1 Nov 2009
Sydney, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
ROSS said:
Failing getting the plastic...If you go to a "Pound" shop you should be able to get those take-away ally containers on various shapes and sizes quite cheaply. Cut out flats. Roll out the name in the bottom with a rolling pin and use the Fiskars to corrugate. They should not harm the rollers as much as KS ally strip.

I'm just not sure that these would be strong enough to hold the corrugations if you bumped them. Or would they squash out? Do they take paint OK? If so they sound a great idea.

JonathanJ

South African Railways, Garratts, PRR.
24 Oct 2009
Tyne and Wear
Best answers
Has anyone managed to source one of these - or a similar paper crimper - in the UK? I've drawn a black at my local paper and craft shops.
J

gregh

1 Nov 2009
Sydney, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
ROSS said:
GREGH. The ones I used on test are ok. Maybe they make 'em thinner down there!
Treat them for paint as you would aluminium or leave then to weather down dull..

Thanks Ross. Will try out the Al dishes if I see some in the $2 shop

Woderwick

Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club
24 Oct 2009
Ia Drang Valley
www.gtrains.co.uk
Best answers

Doug

Live Steam, scratch building
24 Oct 2009
West Herts
Best answers
Country flag
HobbyCraft have them, at least they did a few months ago!

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
JonathanJ said:
Has anyone managed to source one of these - or a similar paper crimper - in the UK? I've drawn a black at my local paper and craft shops.
J

I got mine on Ebay but larger hobby shops usually have them.

gregh

1 Nov 2009
Sydney, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
ROSS said:
Failing getting the plastic...If you go to a "Pound" shop you should be able to get those take-away ally containers on various shapes and sizes quite cheaply. Cut out flats. Roll out the name in the bottom with a rolling pin and use the Fiskars to corrugate. They should not harm the rollers as much as KS ally strip.

I tried it Ross. Bought a 'foil' baking dish - about 15"x10"x2" for $2 and did as you suggested. Corrugations are much deeper than the plastic - must remember to not press the corrugator handles so hard. Now I'll see if it can take accidental knocks without destroying the corrugations.

korm kormsen

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Country
Paraguay
Best answers
Country flag
gregh said:
Now I'll see if it can take accidental knocks without destroying the corrugations.

if you want to be sure, just backfill the corrugated sheets with glue.

Kim4601

Registered
4 Sep 2010
Best answers
Paint tube squeezer! :clap:

I used to use such a thing when I did alot of painting and artwork, amazon sells them in 3 packs..

Im not sure if its the same beast as the original in this thread but a quick look at google reveals people all over the hobby scene from slotcars to model railways using the things with beer/coke cans for the same results

http://www.amazon.com/Paint-Tube-Squeezer-Three-Saver/dp/B0006TUAGO < Link To http://www.amazon.com/Pai...ee-Saver/dp/B0006TUAGO

http://www.coolblades.co.uk/tube-squeezer.html

gregh

1 Nov 2009
Sydney, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
korm kormsen said:
gregh said:
Now I'll see if it can take accidental knocks without destroying the corrugations.

if you want to be sure, just backfill the corrugated sheets with glue.

I usually use silicon gap sealer as a 'glue' , so it should do the job as long as I get it on thick and even enough. Maybe I'll batter it on with a knife. But I was hoping to use it without glueing to any support in some cases.