making an LGB observation car from a 3080 coach

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
When building my passenger train, back in the day, it was made up of all LGB consisting of a 2019 mogul, box car, a combine, and coach, The Mogul was detailed and slightly weathered, the box car and coaches were painted orange with green accents honoring the old orange blossom special and lettered after my layouts waterfall built using an indigenous rock made up of small sea shells called coquina. The engine, tender + 3 cars seemed to be the correct length for my small railroad.
Then came the hurricanes of 2004 and cars stored in a shed were pretty much an tree fell on it and just about everything inside was damaged, back yard flooded and the pond liner surrounded by large coquina rocks was pull into the pond as the sides gave away. Tack and pieces of building was stacked up in the corner of the yard, the pond was filled and my interest in garden railroading came to a stand still, then about 3 years ago, money making work became a little easier and was supplied with more free time and while in the back yard 1 day I came across some train pieces. found undamaged my passenger car and box car also the combine but it was in pieces. Lots of broken building parts and track.
So with renewed interested in the railroad I started making several buildings out of 1 Pola building and also new passenger cars. Had always wondered why LGB never built a observation car, and it was obvious it was because there never as a real one as they really didn't appear until, the heavyweight era, but not being a rivet counter that didn't stop me. From pieces of the broken combine I robbed the end bulkhead and was able to procure some new window section for TrainLi. I removed the stove and coal bin from 1 end, cut a window into that area, moved the rear bulkhead forward to the stove side rear seat and removed the seat on the other side. built a new floor in the vestibule area, cut windows into the rear bulkhead and procured and Bachmann metal observation car railing and although at the time the orange and green paint scheme was fine is strived to find something a little more colorful and settled on the colors off the old E unit Orange Blossom special of orange, yellow and two colors of green. Wasn't overly fond of the Pullman green one so I subbed a brighter dark green called hunters green. Painted the header or cant rail yellow with window casing also, the waist rail I did in orange. The area between the window and the waist rail I did in a pea green and below the stripe became hunter green. Turned out to be a colorful paint scheme and was more than pleased with it, finished it off by lettering the road name in a dark green sitting on the yellow header. Lighting was dome using 10mm LED bulbs attached to the stock location using copper foil tape used for stain glass making using it for the wiring, powered by 2 AAA batteries hidden in the clearstory roof with an external switch in the same area, lighting was rounded out by LGB side marker sights and a yellow LED in the vestibule area, bugs you know. Now I realize I have a car that probably never was but you never know when the president is libel to come by 1 day and want to ride and wave from the back of a 1830 train.

Attachments

• observation 1 side.JPG
    observation 1 side.JPG
    372.8 KB · Views: 0
  • observation car vestibule  right side.JPG
    observation car vestibule right side.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • observation left side vies with window cut.JPG
    observation left side vies with window cut.JPG
    784.7 KB · Views: 0
  • observation car new railing.JPG
    observation car new railing.JPG
    182.8 KB · Views: 0
  • observation car curtains.JPG
    observation car curtains.JPG
    852.8 KB · Views: 0
  • observation rear platform.JPG
    observation rear platform.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • observation car lite drum head.JPG
    observation car lite drum head.JPG
    212.2 KB · Views: 0

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Love the Drumhead! :):clap:

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Phillip it sort of goes with my RR logo

Attachments

• 2-6-2 tender redo.JPG
    2-6-2 tender redo.JPG
    193.1 KB · Views: 0

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Charming. love the chairs. im ready for a ride with a drink!

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I can imagine people travelling on that train just for a go at sitting outside

Riograndad

Model Railroading, boats and oil painting,
6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Smart build Bill,I can imagine myself on one of those outside chairs with a liquid refreshment,watching the country roll by and the song of the rails under the floor!!!!:cool:

Fred Mills

Registered
27 Mar 2017
Ottawa/Nepean, Ontario Canada
Best answers
Country flag
You might think you would enjoy it, but; back in the day, with a coal burning steam locomotive, the cinders in your face and hair, were not pleasant. You would think, that being on the end of the train they wouldn't get to you. You just have to be there to feel the vacuum created back there, when moving....!!!!

Fred Mills

Registered
27 Mar 2017
Best answers
Country flag
Young Bill...
I do NOT in any way promote the idea of "Smoking" in any form, but:
If I have to put up with the smell of the burning of any tobacco product; the aroma of a "GOOD" cigar, can be pleasant.
You must remember that a Good cigar is far different than what the average cigar smoker poisons himself and others with. !!!

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
Young Bill...
I do NOT in any way promote the idea of "Smoking" in any form, but:
If I have to put up with the smell of the burning of any tobacco product; the aroma of a "GOOD" cigar, can be pleasant.
You must remember that a Good cigar is far different than what the average cigar smoker poisons himself and others with. !!!
I agree, I don't like the smell of any burning product but can tolerate some pipes if not too strong, to me a cigar is just as bad as a fart only more deadly, people who smoke need to be aware of the hazards and much more considerate of others

Fred Mills

Registered
27 Mar 2017
Best answers
Country flag
Creating a "Private (Passenger car) car for the use of the CEO, or president of your railway company is a great "Kit Bashing" or modification project, for these forced "Stay-at-home" days.
Some of the railway modellers on these forums/web pages, may lack the skills or talents of others.
To make life just a bit easier, and possibly a bit less expensive; the base of a Private car could be a Bachmann North American, Narrow Gauge "Observation car". Modifications can more easily be made to them than an LGB car, as the B'mann cars are made from poly-Styrene, and it can be much more easily "Welded" (Glued) with simple lacquer thinner, or MEC. The latest editions of these cars come equipped with metal railings and hand grips. The interior can be modified, if wanted. They even come with lighted "Drum Heads" on the rear railings.
I have one on the IPP&W, but I can't show it here as I do not do photographs...sorry.

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
Creating a "Private (Passenger car) car for the use of the CEO, or president of your railway company is a great "Kit Bashing" or modification project, for these forced "Stay-at-home" days.
Some of the railway modellers on these forums/web pages, may lack the skills or talents of others.
To make life just a bit easier, and possibly a bit less expensive; the base of a Private car could be a Bachmann North American, Narrow Gauge "Observation car". Modifications can more easily be made to them than an LGB car, as the B'mann cars are made from poly-Styrene, and it can be much more easily "Welded" (Glued) with simple lacquer thinner, or MEC. The latest editions of these cars come equipped with metal railings and hand grips. The interior can be modified, if wanted. They even come with lighted "Drum Heads" on the rear railings.
I have one on the IPP&W, but I can't show it here as I do not do photographs...sorry.

That is where I got my rear railing and drumhead from, nice stuff

Reactions: 1 user