Making a girder bridge

gregh

electronics, computers and scratchbuilding
1 Nov 2009
Sydney, Australia
www.members.optusnet.com.au
Best answers
Country flag
This old trestle bridge was built from tomato stakes back in year 1 (1994). You can see it had stakes for the beams and a 3-leg trestle in the middle for ‘show’ only.

c3892352251b4e0ebe73f1378b472d76.jpg

I rearranged the track under it and needed to remove the trestle for the new track. The stakes are still strong enough to support the trains.

752e7112434b4448b893a7893fa0057a.jpg

So I made a couple of girders from 1.5mm sheet styrene to cover the wood. It’s 1.0 m long and the girders are 100mm deep. The ribs are alternately styrene or 12x12mm plastic angle from the hardware store (3.6m for under $4). I used a paintable silicone sealer to glue the plastic ribs on and lots of MEK for the styrene-to-styrene. At present it just ‘hangs’ on the beams without being screwed or anything. I’m waiting to see if it warps in the sun or rain. Total cost under $10 including the can of spray paint.
1d7387f58c2e4a0e9997d3f15586e3de.jpg

coyote97

RR, technical things, 4x4
9 Dec 2009
southern Germany
Best answers
looks good!

with plastics, your glue may hold tight. Glueing metal for outdoor use i tried and cancelled it completely.

Frank

spike

It's me
24 Oct 2009
Upper Drakes Bottom
www.weathersatellite.info
Best answers
Country flag
Looks great and tidies the old stakes nicely. :clap:

craigrailinc

Registered
1 Nov 2009
Bonny Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
NICE JOB! 10$ well spent. like the stone pier you added how did you make that?

corgi

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Best answers
Hi Greg,
at AMRA Vic. we have bridges made out of styrene which have been out in all sorts of weather for over a decade.
It took vandals last year to try and destroy them.
They have been repaired and are being re-installed. Dont underestimate styrene in our weather.

gregh

1 Nov 2009
Sydney, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
craigrailinc said:
NICE JOB! 10$ well spent. like the stone pier you added how did you make that?

It's made from Hebel concrete. Don't remember what you call it in UK - maybe someone else can advise - it has been mentioned many times. It's full name is Autoclaved, Aerated Concrete, or lightweight concrete. greatest stuff ever invented for GR. see my webpage about it:
http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/satr/hebel.htm

Greg

gregh

1 Nov 2009
Sydney, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
corgi said:
at AMRA Vic. we have bridges made out of styrene which have been out in all sorts of weather for over a decade. They have been repaired and are being re-installed. Dont underestimate styrene in our weather.
I agree styrene lasts really well as long as it's painted. I've had buildings outside for 12 yrs too. BUT what I didn't mention in the original post is that I glued a strip of 38x8mm pine behind the lower half of the styrene girder (ie below the tomato stake beam) to give it a bit more strength I thought! When I washed the girder before painting, it warped, but I straightened it by rewetting and clamping. Hence the slight concern, even though the pine should not get wet.

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
gregh said:
It's made from Hebel concrete. Don't remember what you call it in UK - maybe someone else can advise - it has been mentioned many times. It's full name is Autoclaved, Aerated Concrete, or lightweight concrete. greatest stuff ever invented for GR. see my webpage about it:

Greg

Do you reckon it's what we call thermolite?

Rik

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
A great bridge facade Greg it looks first class

spike

It's me
24 Oct 2009
Upper Drakes Bottom
www.weathersatellite.info
Best answers
Country flag
ge_rik said:
gregh said:

Greg

Do you reckon it's what we call thermolite?

Rik

Sure is....

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
or Celcon - just another trade name.

gregh

1 Nov 2009
Sydney, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
By looking at their website, it looks like Thermalite is definately the same thing as Hebel. I'll add the name to my webpage so I remember next time.

Andrew

Garden Railways in all scales
26 Oct 2009
Bomaderry, NSW, Australia
Best answers
Hello Greg, great looking bridge, must come up for a training day soon. Also regards to the Grass crew.

Andrew at the Sandbar & Mudcrab Railway.

gregh

1 Nov 2009
Sydney, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Andrew said:
Hello Greg, great looking bridge, must come up for a training day soon. Also regards to the Grass crew.

Andrew at the Sandbar & Mudcrab Railway.

Good to see you've joined up Andrew. You're welcome anytime - just give us a call.

vasim

Registered
3 Jan 2010
Best answers
Any info on the orange diesel on bridge in first pic?

steven large

USA G SCALES OF 30 TO 50S THEMES.ASLO KIT BASHING
15 Dec 2009
Best answers
[H3][color=#ff0000 font="courier new"]u are doin a exellent job on it...loves tht girder bridge tht u give me a idea for my nxt project in spring time.....[/H3] here is my own kitbashin a truss bridges using carpet gippers for under 3 quids and then paint with garden fence water proof stain paint..the nail has been take out.....to stop hurt yrself when sorting it out,,,

gregh

1 Nov 2009
Sydney, Australia
Best answers
Country flag

gregh

1 Nov 2009
Sydney, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
steven large said:
here is my own kitbashin a truss bridges using carpet gippers for under 3 quids and then paint with garden fence water proof stain paint..the nail has been take out.....to stop hurt yrself when sorting it out,,,

I've no idea what carpet grippers are. Do you have a close up pic?
Bridge looks very realistic.

Steveford666

Women, engineering, photography, guitar plaoing, s
13 Jan 2010
Billericay, Essex
Best answers
Carpet grips are strips of wood about a half inch thick. They are studded with nails every inch or so apart. They are about thre quartes of an inch wide by two foot long. (some vary). They are glued down to the floor and the caoet is pushed using a kneeling thumper to reach the grips. Once fastened, the carpet is pushed tight to the other side and fixed to the grips that side, thereby stretching the carpets and making them flat.

Thanks for the idea. Carpet grips will be great for my sleepers I want to make and nail the rails to. They are near enough the right size. And for the bridge as well, although I am thinking of using brass for that purpose.