Maerklin S/18 - S3/6 under heavy repairs...

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
courtesy of Mike Darby of Chuffed2bits fame....

About seven years ago I was running it over at main131's great track when he asked me to oversee the running of an Accucraft Mogul that needed some attention. I handed the loco over to two elderly gentlemen who had brought nothing to run, but nevertheless told me that they knew all about running steam engines, so in a fit of manic generosity I handed over the train, with the water bottle and controller, advising them of the need to keep an wary eyeball on the water level....

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Twenty minutes later I looked up to see how they were doing, to see the loco and its five Marklin ozeanblau coaches standing motionless on the track, fizzing gently. The fizzing was coming from the fried electronics and the horrific smell emanated from the smokebox stays [melting] and the pointy smokebox front [heatproof paint popping off as I watched]. This movie was made about half an hour earlier, and shows that it really did know how to strut its stuff in the grand manner -

There was no water in the boiler but the fire was still going. They couldn't imagine what had gone wrong, of course.

Hastily turning off the gas, and giving the loco a gentle push gave no results at all - the whole thing had seized up solid and had to be left for half an hour to free up. Had it been later in the day it might just have glowed, a little. The smokebox stays were misshapen blobs on the pilot beam by then - many of the handrail retainers had also disappeared into teeny blobs of shapeless plastic, and the smell was summat awful. The unusual 'streamlined' smokebox front had innumerable 'warts' in the heatproof paint and the internal latches that held it on didn't.

I gave it to the late ELR company to fix, who charged me a considerable sum to replace nearly every component that moved. It was returned to me some time later, but damaged by the handlers, who managed to fling the fifteen pound loco around enough to break off the lubricator adjuster and arrange to actually bend the cab sides - amazing. Of course, it never again worked as advertised, and I was resigned to sticking it on the shelf as a sad reminder of how to spend a couple of thousand euros for an unwanted, if attractive, paper-weight.

Last year in a fit of FGS I gave the loco to Mike Darby to fix, a man I knew and trusted. Knowing that other things were on his mind for a while, I waited until he contacted me - and this he did, by Youtube. So here it is - working better than it has done since those heady days of newness. I look forward greatly to running it again - it really is a very beautiful model.

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
courtesy of Mike Darby of Chuffed2bits fame....

About seven years ago I was running it over at main131's great track when he asked me to oversee the running of an Accucraft Mogul that needed some attention. I handed the loco over to two elderly gentlemen who had brought nothing to run, but nevertheless told me that they knew all about running steam engines, so in a fit of manic generosity I handed over the train, with the water bottle and controller, advising them of the need to keep an wary eyeball on the water level....

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Twenty minutes later I looked up to see how they were doing, to see the loco and its five Marklin ozeanblau coaches standing motionless on the track, fizzing gently. The fizzing was coming from the fried electronics and the horrific smell emanated from the smokebox stays [melting] and the pointy smokebox front [heatproof paint popping off as I watched]. This movie was made about half an hour earlier, and shows that it really did know how to strut its stuff in the grand manner -

There was no water in the boiler but the fire was still going. They couldn't imagine what had gone wrong, of course.

Hastily turning off the gas, and giving the loco a gentle push gave no results at all - the whole thing had seized up solid and had to be left for half an hour to free up. Had it been later in the day it might just have glowed, a little. The smokebox stays were misshapen blobs on the pilot beam by then - many of the handrail retainers had also disappeared into teeny blobs of shapeless plastic, and the smell was summat awful. The unusual 'streamlined' smokebox front had innumerable 'warts' in the heatproof paint and the internal latches that held it on didn't.

I gave it to the late ELR company to fix, who charged me a considerable sum to replace nearly every component that moved. It was returned to me some time later, but damaged by the handlers, who managed to fling the fifteen pound loco around enough to break off the lubricator adjuster and arrange to actually bend the cab sides - amazing. Of course, it never again worked as advertised, and I was resigned to sticking it on the shelf as a sad reminder of how to spend a couple of thousand euros for an unwanted, if attractive, paper-weight.

Last year in a fit of FGS I gave the loco to Mike Darby to fix, a man I knew and trusted. Knowing that other things were on his mind for a while, I waited until he contacted me - and this he did, by Youtube. So here it is - working better than it has done since those heady days of newness. I look forward greatly to running it again - it really is a very beautiful model.

What a tale of woe Tac, bet you never let anyone have control of any of your locs again? Glad to see that Mike has it finally sorted for you and what a beauty she is. Look forward to seeing her run again.

65 1057

Railways @ 1.435 mm/ 1.000 mm/ 750 mm and 45mm
9 May 2018
Berlin
Best answers
Country flag
Last edited:

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Baie dankie for your good wishments, Gentlemen! I'm not saying 'never' but I'll certainly be more circumspect in future. For folks I know, who I know know what they are doing, it's a different story, if you get my drift.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
What a sad story!!
Too little water in the boiler ends up usually as in Bitterfeld 1977 (Pacific 01 1516-2)

OK - the boiler was slightly larger, so the hot water content @ 16 bar had an equivalent of approx. 3.500.000 ps discharged at a fraction of a second.

Glad to see your loco in an excellent shape again!

Andreas
Nasty, not that often we get this sort of incident, particularly in Modernish times. Was it shortly after this that the 015’s stopped the Hamburg and Bebra workings from Berlin over the borders? I did go to Hamburg to see them November 1970. Was even possible to travel as far as the Border Station Büchen without a visa behind them. Büchen was where I saw my first East German 50 soon to be produced by Piko, had many journeys and experiences with them and 015’s later on my Trips to East Germany before the Wall came down. But they are a lot of other stories. Wonder if Piko will ever do an 015? Though entirely wrong in Gauge and Scale I would find it hard to resist one.

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I'm greatly looking forward to seeing the final version of the PIKO Br50. Watching them in operation in the DDR in the early 80s was a treat for a steamhead like me. They used to run on an appallingly filthy concoction of pulverised lignite and oil - called 'coil'. The stuff that came out of the stack was just a slightly warmer version of the stuff that had been in the firebox a short time earlier.... Whenever we did a 'train watch' we were covered in the stuff.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I'm greatly looking forward to seeing the final version of the PIKO Br50. Watching them in operation in the DDR in the early 80s was a treat for a steamhead like me. They used to run on an appallingly filthy concoction of pulverised lignite and oil - called 'coil'. The stuff that came out of the stack was just a slightly warmer version of the stuff that had been in the firebox a short time earlier.... Whenever we did a 'train watch' we were covered in the stuff.
They mostly appeared to chug around on endless freights. But in certain places they would get the odd Passenger turn. We did one from Aue to Johanngeoorgenstadt on an evening Commuter Run. The climb and thrash from Scwarzenburg to Johan was amazing, something I will always remember with my blackened face and smuted hair. The return for some reason only went to Scwarzenburg so we had to get a Box back to Aue. Happy days in the 80’s on Steam Trips to the bad old East as it then was.

65 1057

Railways @ 1.435 mm/ 1.000 mm/ 750 mm and 45mm
9 May 2018
Berlin
Best answers
Country flag
They used to run on an appallingly filthy concoction of pulverised lignite and oil - called 'coil'.

...also well known as "Cossak pebble" ("Kosacken-Kies")

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Well, not to bore you like I usually do, but I collected it yesterday from Mike Darby over at the Fosse show, and I've just run it around 90% of my track. The bridge section is currently difficient the track for reasons that need not concern anyone here.

It ran like a watch. As Mike noted, it will just trickle along, all that lovely scale valve gear wiggling around like crazy, and emitting a gentle series of refined Bavarian chuffs. Right now, I am not sure if there is a Summerland chuffer for these Gauge 1 locos, but i can always hope.

I'll be giving it a run with half a dozen coaches soon, and make a video of it in process - watch this space, folks!!

And thanks, Mike, sorry you almost electrocuted yourself on the PZ starter [now removed...]