Made a start on the railway

ASG

Trains, Old Motorbikes, Beekeeping
2 Jan 2010
Cheshire
Best answers
Thought I would post some photo's of the "building" working going on for my new railway. First part is to build a tunnel under the step to llow the train to from where the yard area will be out to the main part of the garden where hopefully a few loops will be.
3322f405c01846ee9685cc0c3c622381.jpg

ed94abbe18594a9281718f6d1346fc8d.jpg

2152e62eedb64f7f91c4d965bb0be16b.jpg

A bit of digging and a lot of hammer work !!!

Steve

I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was b
1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Best answers
Country flag
Like it , is that a tube train :D

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
unless ur sticking with 66s, the tunels very, very small.. just thinking a head.. build to last,.. folks have this anoying habbit off turning up with locos to challenge your infrastructure!!

ASG

2 Jan 2010
Cheshire
Best answers
Yes have already realized that the tunnel is a bit on the small side, I'm going to see if i can beg or borrow an LGB loco to see how that fits.

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
if you can try and get the search light car.. its bigger (taller) than any loco..
ive done the same my self, ....
just trying to help,heres mine, as you can see the ladders/walk ways a lot taller than the rolling stock...
4c430a8f82e241f096445381866a80f7.jpg

ASG

2 Jan 2010
Cheshire
Best answers
Could possibly not use the pipe which would give me extra room for bigger trains/wagons, but would then be worried about the stone slab/step falling on the train!!
I don't want to make the tunnel any lower to the ground as that would mean a steeper incline when exiting the tunnel which as well as a R3 curve will probably give problems in the long run.
But then this is half the fun building it and seeing what works and doesn't

Just hope the other half doesn't moan when see get's home as I've had to take a few extra rocks out :D

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
some times, you just have to comprimise between what youds like, and what you know you can get away with.. i know we did ian.s tunnle a few years a go, he had originally built it around a oft cut off mains gas pipe(big yellow thing) his stanzes made it through, but not much elase.. we ended up rebuilding it with brezzes block walls and flags top/bottomm.
now everything fits!!

dragon

Video. Photography. Garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
Remember no tunnel should be longer than twice the length of your arm unless access points are included.

Tony

Model railways
28 Feb 2010
East coast Essex
www.facebook.com
Best answers
ASG said:
Thought I would post some photo's of the "building" working going on for my new railway. First part is to build a tunnel under the step to llow the train to from where the yard area will be out to the main part of the garden where hopefully a few loops will be.
images

images

images

A bit of digging and a lot of hammer work !!!
Andrew dont want to rain on your parade but my 66 like yours is 5 1/4" high my Aristo mallet is 7" high i also have a couple of smaller 0-4-0 Lgb locos and they are just under 7" all above are measured not sitting on track. Great idea you have but if i were you id change it now though rule 8 applies
keep up good work
Tony
Tony

Wobbleboxer

Registered
27 Oct 2009
Northants, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Could you build the tunnel square rather than round from cut down paving slabs? You'd be able to get an height you wanted then. I'm sure I've seen pics on here on similar, but you can never find anything when you want it.

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
Wobbleboxer said:
Could you build the tunnel square rather than round from cut down paving slabs? You'd be able to get an height you wanted then. I'm sure I've seen pics on here on similar, but you can never find anything when you want it.

Use the top slab as the roof of the tunnel (a bit thinner if you can find one) then use straight sides to the tunnel walls and you should have enough room, my bridges were all set at 9in so I would have plenty of room.........................7 years bit of settling/earthquake and were down to 8 in and two items that don't fit anymore!!!!!

Bredebahn

Cinema, Garden Railway, Private Flying (licenced p
25 Oct 2009
A field near Rye, in beautiful East Sussex.
Best answers
Or if you must have a curved roof, slit the pipe open into two halves with an angle grinder lengthwise and mount these on vertical paving slabs. I hasten to add that I haven't tried this in practice!

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
That's the good thing about this site- u can fix things at this point. wish i had been on here when building mine- i have limitations now. yes i am afraid that pipe is certainly too small...

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
this may sound daft.. but.. lose the pipe.. the holes surounded(mostly) with nice STONE..
point it up.. lay track on stone..it will give you that extra bit off clearansce

ASG

2 Jan 2010
Cheshire
Best answers
I think now I can see the plan in real life i.e. in the garden instead of my head I won;t need to use the pipe as the bottom of the tunnel is solid smooth rock for a good part of the way through, the other half i will need to build up anyway to give a bit of a slope.
I will just used a piece of paving slab cut to size to add extra safety at one edge to stop the stone above falling in and crushing the train!!!

Thanks for all the advice, greatfully received
Andrew

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Just to add my opinion I would recommend 9inch to allow for Braked Austrian stock or similar

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
3rd garden railway.. and im still learning!!:clap:

Topogardenmike

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Dont lose heart, thats the benefit of the forum. I can tell you from experience that its a lot harder to put it right later than it is at the construction stage. I built a short tunnel, or a bridge really which I thought had adequate clearance and as I expanded my rolling stock found OHLE locos with the pantagraph folded struck the bridge. As I had laid a track over the top of the bridge it took a lot of sorting out. Once bitten etc but the forum allows you to learn from others mistakes. I see the start of an interesting railway, stick with it!

ASG

2 Jan 2010
Cheshire
Best answers
Managed a bit more on the railway in the late sunshine yesterday, had a bit of a rethink and done away with the pipe. Hope for a bit more sunshine later today as I'm eager to get more done, just need to find some short straights and R3 curves!

ef68aead96f44ba49ec264d602e2f344.jpg

906f736195af4dd3831aaf29b65e031d.jpg

Start of a bridge as well
051944bdc0f7438ab82ef57954d6ef87.jpg