Made a start at last...

DaveG

Registered
21 Apr 2016
York
Best answers
Hello Peter and David - I didn't know there was so much interest in G scale in our area; I am also not that far away living in Wistow, north of Selby Don't let the India flag with my avatar fool you; I am only out here with work, but the G scale Central site always updates my location.
Regards, Graham..
Hi Graham. I'm very sorry for taking so long to reply to you. Thanks for getting in touch.
As you can see, my railway is at a very embryonic stage but I am slowly progressing with it.
Am I correct in thinking that Wistow had a branch line many years ago? I used to travel to Selby quite a bit and through Wistow now and again I'm sure. Nice village as I recall.
I suppose there must be a reasonable amount of local interest in garden railways in the area as P&S Hobbies keep a very fine range of G scale stock. If only I had more spare cash...
Anyway, apologies again for being so tardy in replying.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Am I correct in thinking that Wistow had a branch line many years ago? I used to travel to Selby quite a bit and through Wistow now and again I'm sure. Nice village as I recall.
When I moved to Thorpe Willoughby back in 1972 the route was so much more visible than today. There was indeed a light Railway called the Selby Wistow and Cawood Light Railway. Cawood Station was all present with all the yard and buildings present but of course no track. I harboured the wish to win some money to buy the site, but sadly a Builder got it and the estate now present was the result. Wistow Station was a little less visible but you could make it out. I think it crossed the Station Road by a bungalow called Wildacre as after this you can see in Google Earth a piece of land that looks long and thin heading towards Cawood. Driving out of Cawood on the B1222 Sherbourne Street was where the Station Building was and the yard continued onto Great Close quite a large site. Most of this is visible on Google Earth with Street view used to find the Bungalow mentioned, so much wish I had taken pictures in the day. But Film was expensive and I was newly married with a wife and Garden Railway to fund. Oh and and at that time an ever increasing Mortgage!
JonD

Reactions: 1 user

DaveG

Registered
21 Apr 2016
York
Best answers
Well, it's been a long time but showing photos of nothing happening is not very inspiring but as the evenings have lengthened and the beast from the east is now just a distant memory, it's been time to get back into the garden.

A few photos showing progress coming up.
First up, a reminder of the "Beast" - you have to admire the station staff - waiting for a train which is unlikely to turn up!
DSC_1627.JPG

DaveG

Registered
21 Apr 2016
York
Best answers
Otto on a works train on partially ballasted track. I've used potting gravel which although a little on the large side seems to look quite effective.
DSC_1680.JPG

DaveG

Registered
21 Apr 2016
York
Best answers
Weirdly distorting view of the full garden. The intention is there will be an outer bi-di high level circuit which is shown here (the high level section is up to the bridge over the pond) and a lower level inner bi-di circuit. They will be parallel for much of the way and look suspiciously like a double track but I can't take up all the garden with meandering separate railway lines.
(Unfortunately!)
This is just for checking the route but it all worked and a U-class could manage the grade on the right with 4 bogie vehicles which is pretty much high level station (behind the trampoline) passing loop length. The line is now planned to be re-routed under the box bush - Box Tunnel perhaps? (I'll get my coat!)
DSC_0024-PANO.jpg

DaveG

Registered
21 Apr 2016
York
Best answers
Stainz tank on a long freight in the sunset. The ballast stops because this is where the platforms will be. Had a great find at B&Q on Sunday of tile edge strips of 2.5m long, 15mm high and just 50p each - ideal as edging for the platforms.
DSC_0136.JPG

DaveG

Registered
21 Apr 2016
York
Best answers
The Stainz does have serious haulage capacity - I'm always impressed by its capabilities.
Please note this is a very temporary laying of the track and i was experimenting with gradients and different rolling stock combinations.
It couldn't get steeper than this without me investing in a rack! The final alignment now includes a set of wide radius Aristocraft curves creating a pleasing curved route and I'll be planting behind the curve to hide the concrete panel and fence.
DSC_0156.JPG

DaveG

Registered
21 Apr 2016
York
Best answers
The line goes round the back of the shed, up a grade and crosses the pond on the girder bridge.
On the way it emerges from the tunnel mouth and passes through the rockery, planted recently with a range of Alpine plants, some of which are starting to flower. In this view, the beginnings of the lower level route is apparent. Both inner and outer lines will have passing stations on them so that each can run 2 trains together.
I intend to go down the DCC route eventually but with one circuit capable of being DC as I would like to be able to let visitors without DCC use it at some point in the future.

DSC_0643.JPG DSC_0625.JPG
DSC_0625.JPG

DSC_0643.JPG

Reactions: 1 users

DaveG

Registered
21 Apr 2016
York
Best answers
Platform edging - to be fitted with conduit for wiring the station lamps then back filled with mortar - that's the plan but the conduit will have its removal top still removable in case of wiring repairs in the future.
Some experimentation on one platform will be required before i go the whole hog.
Once the platforms are complete, I can carry on with the ballasting.
DSC_0637.JPG

DaveG

Registered
21 Apr 2016
York
Best answers
And now, right up to date, we started to fit some new decking planks purchased from B&Q this evening for building the high level passing station.
This is all built on a quite significant grade (which has been tested so we know it works) but there will be no sidings because if a loco is uncoupled for running round or shunting purposes, the rolling stock will be genuinely rolling stock, not stopping until the bottom of the gradient near the kitchen. It will be for passing trains only. A similar set up will be provided on the lower line - the buffer stop marks the end of the proposed route so far.
DSC_0647.JPG

DaveG

Registered
21 Apr 2016
York
Best answers
I bought this US type loco cheaply some years ago and although not obviously European in outline, I like it so it runs on the railway - and it's surprisingly capable considering it's also lugging an 8-wheel tender behind it. I have 2 more of these bogie coaches to arrive courtesy of Ebay soon which I am greatly looking forward to. I'll have 5 in total then plus a bogie van - i suspect this consist will not make it up the gradients unless i am double heading with my U-class tanks.
It's not easy to tell but behind the train there is a fairly feeble waterfall plus the fountain in front of the bridge - it's like having a working carriage washer but if you could see the colour of the pond water, you would know that the vehicles would end up dirtier than they started.
DSC_0132.JPG

DaveG

Registered
21 Apr 2016
York
Best answers
This and the previous picture are not in chronological order as perhaps is evident by the unsupported track between the bridge and the bricks. This is my other US loco but at least we know some of these got to Europe. (And this did genuinely come from the US at a great price, even after tax and duties). Those 3 vehicles are about the maximum this loco can manage on the high level route - it doesn't have the grunt of a Stainz by any means.
It's a lovely model though and i am very pleased with it.
DSC_0125.JPG

simon@mgr

Aviation, model engineering & all things technical
25 Oct 2009
Gold Coast, QLD, The Land Downunder
Best answers
Country flag
It all looks very good, you should have great fun with it.