Low Relief Mine Buildings

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Reactions: 5 users

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
I remember it well Rik when I visited last - a very well executed structure on your railway empire.
Perhaps you should do an analysis of your wonderful stream area.

Reactions: 1 user

duncan1_9_8_4

Jack of all trades on the Railway
25 Oct 2009
Pontefract, West Yorkshire
Best answers
Country flag
I too am curious about the stream! But that mine looks the real part, is there no end to this railway, it really is a miniature world. Love the 'blog' site too.

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag

duncan1_9_8_4

Jack of all trades on the Railway
25 Oct 2009
Pontefract, West Yorkshire
Best answers
Country flag
The stream and the railway running through the trees and foliage in the track reminds me of my visit to the logging railway from Visseu de Sus in Romania, brilliant.

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Very interesting and comprehensive blog! Full of inspiration too. It looks really good.
How does the balsa stand up to the weather? (probably better than plywood I suspect!).
I've been thinking for some time now of low-relief structures where my extension runs alongside the hedgerow. You have made up my mind!

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Very interesting and comprehensive blog! Full of inspiration too. It looks really good.
How does the balsa stand up to the weather? (probably better than plywood I suspect!).
I've been thinking for some time now of low-relief structures where my extension runs alongside the hedgerow. You have made up my mind!
Hi Mick
I don't leave these buildings outside, I take them inside between running sessions. But I got the idea from Peter & Kes Jones' book, and I know some of Peter's models are still in use on the Llechfan Railway, many years after they were constructed, and mid Wales is not noted for its mild climate..... ;)

Rik

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Cheers Rik - yes I should do the same (or make things out of concrete). But low relief buildings wouldn't need as much space in the shed. You have got me thinking now.!

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Nice work Rik! It has given me an idea for something similar too....

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Interesting to see this pop up again from six years ago :)

I used the mine buildings as a test-bed for trying out various techniques. Wooden substructure then various forms of cladding - plastic sheet, coffee stirrers, balsa wood 'stone' cladding, real stone slips and aluminium foil corrugated iron. They all seem to have worked OK - though the instant grab adhesive seems to have parted company with some of the corrugated plastic sheets.

These days my preferred material for buildings construction is PVC foamboard

Rik