Skipton,UK
Best answers

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
I use a digital one..... right hand, middle finger. Never failed me yet. :angel:

Reactions: 1 users

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I think I used one of those on my indoor portable layout, Hardyard?

Work very well and I even have colour light signals working with it. Not suitable for outdoors use though....

IMAG0739.jpg

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Needs to be mounted ABOVE the layout, and protected.. Can be done.

Very nice units, with many additional features..

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hey folks,

looking for a reliable turnout motor ?
https://www.dccconcepts.com/product-category/the-cobalt-collection/cobalt-point-motors/

As U can see there are analog and digital versions available.

For outdoor use just put them in a box like this:

The contacts are gold-coated so there won' t be any contact problems.

Cheers
Soeren
I have been using Cobolt Motors on my 00 layout and keep changing them due to developing constant clicking. Would not touch them again with a bargepole.

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
I used them in my OO indoor layout days when it was easier to get under the track but even then they were quite fiddly to get working consistently. Having a built in auxiliary switch and switch feedback was useful. I'm not sure I'd use them outdoors.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I used them in my OO indoor layout days when it was easier to get under the track but even then they were quite fiddly to get working consistently. Having a built in auxiliary switch and switch feedback was useful. I'm not sure I'd use them outdoors.
I agree outside use would be very worrying on these, nothing to beat the good old LGB ones and if you need it Auxilliary Switches for whatever. I recently restored some very dodgy LGB Point Motors (newer type) to full health after a lot of years outside and a lot of inactivity in between. Some of them had had Ants residing as part of their colony. All were brought back to a useful life.

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Agreed. Also you can do an awful lot with no point motors, just using sprung points set with the manual point lever and a bit of forward planning. My latest indoor layout has 6 points and only one needed to be motorised.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
So the hole in the roadbed is big enough to allow the actuator wire to move, and to provide a convenient filling hole to the plastic container, which holds all the water until the unit is completely submerged and shorts out?

On the face of it, there is no part of this design or installation suitable for outdoor use unless you are in the sahara desert... it does not rain in the UK right?

Greg

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
... it does not rain in the UK right?

Greg

Only in Wales (and in Manchester), Greg.

The rest of us get uninterrupted sun all year round! ;)

Disclaimer: some of the above statements may not be true.

Jon.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I knew my wife was right, she says it's always sunny in the UK (she is VERY British)... Penelope Sheila Marjorie Martin Elmassian .... that name blew up the databases for our insurance, drivers license, home mortgage...

Could it be she is conning me into a trip to see her relatives?

Greg

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Use LGB. Simples . I have about a dozen, outside for over 13 years now, and have only ever had one problem - insects filled it with dirt - cleaned out and away it goes.Many were second hand when i got them.

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Only in Wales (and in Manchester), Greg.

The rest of us get uninterrupted sun all year round! ;)

Disclaimer: some of the above statements may not be true.

Jon.

You forgot Scotland, different country :) and the Lake district , a few other places may get wet occasionally as well.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
We will be coming in the next couple of years, her relatives are in Kent, Manchester, London (sorry if I am mixing regions, villages, etc)

Mine are in Scotland and Wales.

So, I guess we will see a lot of trains!

Greg

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
We will be coming in the next couple of years, her relatives are in Kent, Manchester, London (sorry if I am mixing regions, villages, etc)

Mine are in Scotland and Wales.

So, I guess we will see a lot of trains!

Greg

If you plan to visit them all in one trip, you'll pretty much cover most of Great Britain, Greg! I'd allow for it being quite a lengthy holiday......

Jon.

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I don’t have much LGB but I have used LGB point motors for many years outdoors with no real problems. Just need cleaning out very occasionally. I have only had to take one apart to clean after that last wet and snowy winter. They seem to fit most makes of points and I think they are the best option; mine are mostly attached to Aristo points. They are dc of course.
I found the electrical switch accessory to be largely a pain in the posterior. A significant level of dry joints occurred and I always suffered a voltage drop through the switch. I now use latching relays in the shed connected to the output to the point motor to switch electric power to the tracks and route indicators. This works very well and is very cheap to set up.

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
I've been using LGB outdoors for nearly 12 years now. I've not found them to be faultless though. As with Alan and Chris, they do need cleaning out periodically - insect and other crud gets into the moving parts and the soft steel cage around the armature does rust.

I have also had two fail electrically. The soldered joint between the screw connector and the wires of the coil eventually break down. I've resoldered these joints a few times, but eventually, it's not possible to extend the armature wire to reach the connector.

Rik

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
I've been using LGB outdoors for nearly 12 years now. I've not found them to be faultless though. As with Alan and Chris, they do need cleaning out periodically - insect and other crud gets into the moving parts and the soft steel cage around the armature does rust.

I have also had two fail electrically. The soldered joint between the screw connector and the wires of the coil eventually break down. I've resoldered these joints a few times, but eventually, it's not possible to extend the armature wire to reach the connector.

Rik
Last longer than kitchen appliances though.:devil: