Looking for a new loco... What do you recommend?

sargent

Registered
31 Aug 2018
Wolverhampton
Best answers
Im after a steam loco (electric) to make a christmas train. Ive got some of the bachmann big-haulers pensylvania style coaches, along with some other american style trucks/wagons.

I was thinking something like a Mogul, a 2-6-0 type of affair. What do you recommend guys?

I think my preference is black, but I am open to suggestions!

BakerJohn

Baker, Modeler, Flour Ambassador
3 Feb 2018
West Warwick, RI
leedshillrailroad.weebly.com
Best answers
Are you looking for American locos? If so, I like the 2-6-0 Forney I have. It's going to make a decent Christmas train with it's training coaches & baggage car. I'm not sure how easy it would be to find a Forney, but give it a go!

sargent

Registered
31 Aug 2018
Wolverhampton
Best answers
Are you looking for American locos? If so, I like the 2-6-0 Forney I have. It's going to make a decent Christmas train with it's training coaches & baggage car. I'm not sure how easy it would be to find a Forney, but give it a go!

Anything really! Although, i wanted something to look a little 'Polar express' type. But to get the similar loco would be out of my budget. Forney looks good

Also the Piko 2-6-0 range are quite nice

There is an LGB for sale on ebay right now... quite tempted... LGB 2028D Locomotive, G gauge, Garden Railway, Train Set, 45mm | eBay

BakerJohn

Baker, Modeler, Flour Ambassador
3 Feb 2018
West Warwick, RI
leedshillrailroad.weebly.com
Best answers
Seems like a good price if its fully operational

sargent

Registered
31 Aug 2018
Wolverhampton
Best answers
Does the D stand for digital/DCC? If so, will this run on Analogue?

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I have a pretty old LGB US 2-6–0, runs like a dream even after many years of use.

Brixham

No buffers were hurt at this sign
27 Aug 2010
Best answers
Country flag
The 'Stumpy' LGB American 240's are quite good for xmas layouts....fine on R1...heavy so will haul a lengthy train. Also not too expensive!!

Room on the footplate for santa and fire-elves

Occasionally, xmas liveried variants appear for sale

Malcolm

Last edited:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Lgb mogul , great locos, moderate hauling, pull only forwar,need two hands to transport,set on rails, parts, fairly available ( cosmetic parts can be outrageous). Best on r2. Imho,these are hard to beat, if ubiquitous. I have 7....i have to say the later digital sound version with glowing firebox is hard to surpass. It would seem an old red and green 2018 might fit christmas. Black will be more $$$$ likely.

Forney, a 2-4-4t, or, 0-4-4tcan run both forward and reverse, (provided you replace the front dummy coupler. I used the very old small u shpaed lgb loop for this).

one handed transport, german and chinese are close, but german are better, heavier, better plastic. Nice for r1. Haul a bit better forward than in reverse due to weight distribution over traction tire. I love these locos, yet, the dont have the feel ofa tender loco, but are wonderful in their own way. Odd, 2ft gauge loco on 3 ft track, . Outside counterweights cranks are impossible to find should you break one. Again,i lie thesound versions. I have 3 chineseand 2 german sound.

Lgb stubbys...an acquired taste. Neither fish nor fowl. Standard gauge look, small and very ill proportioned. Heavy, smoke well, some 0-4-0 version, can pull in reverse. Not the best for heavy trains due to heft and resulting idler gear wear ( and no replacements). Sound versions are ok, but not synced with exhaust/drivers. I have the 2-4-0 and 0-4-0 version. The latter has a usable coupler on the loco front. Parts for these are nearly impossible, period. Once they wear out, id say they are finished.

Worthy of mention, the 2017 with powered tender. Not very prototypical but the older ones with 2 motors, perfect for r1 and heavy duty. Imho, they have their own lgb charm. Bullet proof. Lots of spare parts.

consider too the WPY alco diesels and uintah mallets. Both do great on R1.

I love lgb german made porters. Great Locos, again over sized in scale 1:20.5 a bit. Not heavy haulers, but respectable.

2063 davenport is a great loco, 1:20.5, performs great, but a bit mundane. A "huge" small Diesel with side rods. Kinda boring, kinda cool.

Forget olomano and chloe for any but light short running

Id suggest getting whichever one you choose, get complete and with little wear. Parts will eat any savings quickly..some parts you cannot find easily,or at all, smokers are about 25-35 dollars.

Last edited:

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
www.olddominionrailways.com
Best answers
Country flag
Im after a steam loco (electric) to make a christmas train. Ive got some of the bachmann big-haulers pensylvania style coaches, along with some other american style trucks/wagons.

I was thinking something like a Mogul, a 2-6-0 type of affair. What do you recommend guys?

I think my preference is black, but I am open to suggestions!

Hi Sargent - I have numerous LGB Forney Steam Locomotives for sell on my Website (OldDominionRailways.com), or on eBay.com where you can just do a search "LGB Forney Locomotives" to find all listings (my eBay name: LGB-LocomotivesPro). Mine are cheaper priced on my Website since I don't have to pay the 9% eBay seller fees there. My retiree hobby is upgrading new or used LGB locomotives with DC/DCC power/sound decoders so you can operate the locomotives on either DC/Analog or DCC/Digital power systems. My Website also has some videos demonstrating the locomotives' sound operating systems, or sound files. I provide a 12 month warranty for the decoder sound systems I install. Been a large scale hobbyist over 30 years now. Only down side is the high cost to ship large scale locomotives from the USA to Europe, generally $65 - $85 depending up weight using USPS Priority Mail International.

By the way, I have a short video demo on my Website Homepage of a new LGB 28443 RhB Ge 4/4 II 50th Anniversary Electric Locomotive I recently bought...…..check it out, really neat sounds!

Any questions, you can email me: OldDominionRailways@gmail.com

Best regards from Over the Pond,
Thomas White
McLean VA USA

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Does the D stand for digital/DCC? If so, will this run on Analogue?
D is German for Dampf which means Smoke. S mis for Sound.
Note the LGB 2028 is a DC only loco and has a 3 wire motor block.

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag

No, D stands for steam, the spelling gives it away to some extent, dampf and our word damp are clearly close o each other.

artfull dodger

Registered
12 Apr 2012
Kokomo, Indiana USA
Best answers
Country flag
For me, the colorful red/green/black LGB Stainz looks the part under the tree, nearly bulletproof, pond proof and any other proof you need them to be. Pulling the two colorful coaches included in the standard starter sets for years and fitted with newer Massoth LED light boards that actually light up the cars at slower and quieter speeds. The Americanized versions, the reddish/maroon one, also look good under the tree. LGB also did a Christmas version of the 0-4-2 plantation engine and matching coaches. Pretty much anything with the standard LGB 2 axle motor block is perfect for hours of circling under the tree and parts are easily gotten for them thru LGB or Massoth. Stainz's come in few variations, older with metal side rods and 18vt yellow lantern bulbs, and newer ones with plastic side rods(more prototypical to real locomotive), 5vt constant lights and a very basic chuffing sound system(which to me is very annoying, I seldom turn my sound on). If your using R1 curves, I would recommend sticking to 0-4-0, 0-4-2 or 2-4-0 wheel base engines to keep rail wear, binding and gear wear to a minimum. Whatever you get, we all would love to see pics of your holiday display, I started a thread elsewhere for just that purpose. Mike

Reactions: 1 user

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
For me, the colorful red/green/black LGB Stainz looks the part under the tree, nearly bulletproof, pond proof and any other proof you need them to be. Pulling the two colorful coaches included in the standard starter sets for years and fitted with newer Massoth LED light boards that actually light up the cars at slower and quieter speeds. The Americanized versions, the reddish/maroon one, also look good under the tree. LGB also did a Christmas version of the 0-4-2 plantation engine and matching coaches. Pretty much anything with the standard LGB 2 axle motor block is perfect for hours of circling under the tree and parts are easily gotten for them thru LGB or Massoth. Stainz's come in few variations, older with metal side rods and 18vt yellow lantern bulbs, and newer ones with plastic side rods(more prototypical to real locomotive), 5vt constant lights and a very basic chuffing sound system(which to me is very annoying, I seldom turn my sound on). If your using R1 curves, I would recommend sticking to 0-4-0, 0-4-2 or 2-4-0 wheel base engines to keep rail wear, binding and gear wear to a minimum. Whatever you get, we all would love to see pics of your holiday display, I started a thread elsewhere for just that purpose. Mike

To save tire wear, you can also vary the direction in which the loco travels - facing clockwise or anticlockwise. Another option is the little 0-4-0 'Otto' locomotive, which, incidentally, can be converted into a reasonable facsimile of an early Porter locomotive. They can be found 'out of a set' or in a similar set to the Stainz, but for a lot less $$$$$$$$$.

Reactions: 1 user

artfull dodger

Registered
12 Apr 2012
Kokomo, Indiana USA
Best answers
Country flag
I do that tac and I also add a drop of steam oil to the inside edge of the outside rail on my outdoors line and overhead indoor line to minimize wear on the rail head by the flanges. Of coarse, I am battery powered and live steam, so most of the time running the live steam oils the track down enough that I do not need to do this. I do also keep my train length short, keep in mind the prototype Staniz normally pulled 3 coaches/freight wagons when in service. Tight curves combined with heavy trains is what quickly wears out LGB Mogul idler gears. If they go whilst under a heavy load, many times you snap a side rod as well. The gears are not that expensive, side rods...not so much. Small 0-4-0's deal with the tight curves so much better with very little wear on anything, even on R1 curves. Mike