Locomotion Cackler

garrymartin

My Family,Railways, Beer and the Seaside
30 Oct 2009
Now Derbyshire !
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Everyone,
Does anyone have any experience of these loco's ? I am particularly wanting to know about run times & reliability , also ease of maintainence . They look fantastic but I would like to know more before I take the plunge . I was looking to by either a Roundhouse katie or their Fowler but the Cackler has turned my head .:wits:

tagorton

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Cornwall
Best answers
garrymartin said:
Hi Everyone,
Does anyone have any experience of these loco's ? I am particularly wanting to know about run times & reliability , also ease of maintainence . They look fantastic but I would like to know more before I take the plunge . I was looking to by either a Roundhouse katie or their Fowler but the Cackler has turned my head .:wits:

I have come across these certainly although I have never owned one. I think the short answer is that it depends on your experience. If you have had several locos before and know your way around maintaining gas fired live steam, then it will be fine. If not then your original thoughts on locomotives would certainly be better. Roundhouse locos are more professional, run superbly either manually or by R/C and Roundhouse themselves have superlative logistical backup. I am by no means a Roundhouse fanboy – their insistence on cheesehead screws, crappy white metal buffers and fiddly little drainscrews on the oiler annoy me on a premium priced product BUT the locomotive will run very well indeed, backup as above and one can easily change the above downside items when one is more at home with the loco.
Hope this helps with your deliberations.
bestest

Tag

Rosco

Registered
20 Dec 2009
Leytonstone
Best answers
Hello. I have seen one at a show and it was a smooth runner. Youtube has a couple of videos and in the responses bit the owner says he gets 25-30 mins. Roundhouse back up is legendary and it would be interesting to see what Locomotion is like as you don't hear much of them. It is Always nice to have a loco that not that many other people have, but spares might be a problem one day.

garrymartin

30 Oct 2009
Now Derbyshire !
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you for the advice gentlemen. I have just returned from taking my wife out to lunch , went via Doncaster & ordered a Katie from Roundhouse, next a call to Mr. Munday to get the paint job booked in
Cheers Garry.:)

E

Elmtree Line

Congrats on the Katie!

i believe there is a one year wait for a Cackler.

garrymartin

30 Oct 2009
Now Derbyshire !
Best answers
Country flag
Yes I still like the look of them , There's a nice video of one on you tube with a rake of coaches & she appears to be a nice smooth running loco , there is also footage of of pulling a train of tippers at speeds that would make Sir Nigel Gresley stretch his eyes ! But I am happy with the choice of a Katie , ordered in black with a Lightline paint job . I will be looking for an obvious freight loco next , though I dislike the cab on the Fowler , I cannot think of any other (Except the Atlantic) & so maybe a cackler could be engine #4 in my live steam stable unless something better comes along in the meantime .
Cheers Garry
P.S waiting time for Katie is 3 months , it was at least 6 for my Lady Anne .

steamtom1

Live Steam
26 Oct 2009
mssls.info
Best answers
Garry,

Nice combination--a Roundhouse Katie with a Lightlines paint job...

Katy%20resized.jpg