Locobox Rheidol

garrymartin

My Family,Railways, Beer and the Seaside
30 Oct 2009
Now Derbyshire !
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all
I was wondering if anybody out there had any experience of the Rheidol model made by locobox ? I like the look of it apart from the oscillating cylinders, In short would anyone recommend it ? Is it worth the money ?
Cheers ! Garry

I have a Garratt and it works well. Mine came second hand and I heard all sorts of stories before and after I bought it but the loco is a cracker. Free steaming, pulls well.

The Rheidol does indeed look the business. I would talk to PPS to see if they have one before I got too excited. Availability of Locobox locos has been a challenge in the past. If you know where there is one second hand I would be interested if you don't buy it. As for the cylinders, it's no Mamod. Look at the length of the rods and size of the cylinders. When it's running they are not so easy to see although granted they are not as good-looking as valve gear.
Here is a piccie. More at http://www.evensfordandmidland.co.uk/locomotives/darjeeling-garratt

Garratt%20and%20Lawley%20%28Small%29.jpg

garrymartin

My Family,Railways, Beer and the Seaside
30 Oct 2009
Now Derbyshire !
Best answers
Country flag
Hi There, No I don't know of a second hand one , I was considering ordering a new one as it would be something a bit different to a Roundhouse basic models . Your observations on the cylinders are reassuring. Your Garratt certainly looks the business !
Cheers Garry.