Loco No. 1 + Phoenix sound card

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
My first UK-based loco on the PLR (a Peckett, constructed from a GRS kit) has just been equipped with a Phoenix sound card (bought on eBay), after nine years of silence. Must say I am impressed with the card - though not with the price they are when new!

Many thanks to Phil Partridge (PhilP of this parish) my successor at http://rctrains.co.uk/ for reprogramming the card from a rather hefty sounding USA diesel to something more appropriate for the Peckforton Light Railway.

Rik

Reactions: 5 users

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Sounds very believable, even Whistle sounds right. Did he use Myloco Sound noises or stuff captured from vids?
JonD

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Sounds very believable, even Whistle sounds right. Did he use Myloco Sound noises or stuff captured from vids?
JonD
Hi Jon
No, it's the standard Phoenix Euro loco sound effects which can be downloaded from the Phoenix website http://www.phoenixsound.com/support/download.html . However, you need an interface cable (which costs about £70) to install them in the card - but Phil has the interface and the skills to do the installation - for less than the cost of the interface.

Rik

Reactions: 1 users

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Sounds really good, Rik! :)

Jon.

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Sound seems totally suited to the loco - I particularly liked the sound at slow speed, very realistic.

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks chaps. If I had the cash, I think I would install more of these cards. They certainly offer a good range of sounds. I've wired up triggers for the whistle, bell (which I use before departing with a passenger train, as per the Southwold Rly), water fill and coal fill (though this is for an overhead hopper rather than buckets and shovel), and for boosting the sound when labouring up hill. All the other sounds happen randomly - the short blast on the whistle sometimes happens when starting but not every time. I wish it had a coasting feature such as on the MyLocoSound card, though.

Rik