Loaded!

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
I've spent a large part of the day evicting live-stock from around one corner of the railway, the eight legged variety.

As this process involved removing largish portions of privet hedge I discovered some long straight bits that seem to be exactly what is needed to make G scale tree trunks.

G Scale Logs.jpg

Now having cut them to suitable lengths I wonder is there a good way of preserving them or stopping them drying out and splitting?

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
There is a liquid that I use for sealing the ends of boards to keep them from splitting. It can be applied with a brush. It dries clear. It's called Anchorseal 2. It is specifically made to seal the end grain of boards, though in your case I would use it over the entire log.

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
Cheers Dan, I'll take a look. It may be called something different this side of the pond.

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
By pure chance this afternoon, I found myself in Whytes, and there was a shelf full of these things, so I availed myself of a few. I could do with some Moos as well, but I'd already spent enough for one trip.

Sheep Waggons (8).JPG

My thoughts are, how to fix them (removeably)? It seems sensible/easiest to fix them to a thin base such as plasti-card, that could be sprayed the same colour as the waggon to hide it; but it could do with some straw/hay spread about for a bit more realism. What suggestions for that?

Try this? - http://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/show/Item/FG172/page/1

FG172_f_p.jpg

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
A quick idea that comes to mind - get some "plank" effect plasticard (Evergreen, or else just scribe it yourself onto some plain) to match the exisiting floor of the wagon, and cut it to size so that it drops in covering the entire floor area; spray it to match the wagon. Glue down some straw-effect material (broom bristles perhaps?) and glue in the animals. Now, when you want the wagon "loaded" you just drop in the false floor, and lift it out again for the empties....

Jon.

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
Yeah Jon that's roughly where I was going, the straw was where I was having difficulty, brush bristle is good and so is Ian's Woodland stuff. I must look and see what I can find to hand/locally. If enough straw was spread about the planking effect might not be needed. :nod::nod:

Edit: - It seems we have a local supplier for Woodland products, not a shop I've ever used, but maybe worth a look.

Last edited:

korm kormsen

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Country
Paraguay
Best answers
Country flag
just put a pinhead sized bit of colourless silicone sealant under each foot.
that holds them good enough, and, if needed, can be peeled away without leaving marks.

but the "hay" seems a very good idea anyhow.

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Yeah Jon that's roughly where I was going, the straw was where I was having difficulty, brush bristle is good and so is Ian's Woodland stuff. I must look and see what I can find to hand/locally. If enough straw was spread about the planking effect might not be needed. :nod::nod:

Edit: - It seems we have a local supplier for Woodland products, not a shop I've ever used, but maybe worth a look.
Sisal String makes devilishly good Straw. Just open it out and cut small lengths.
JonD

Reactions: 1 user

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
Sisal string!!! That's thinking outside the box. Except I haven't got any. Damn!

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Why not get a cheap disposable paint brush (one with real bristles but not the black ones!), or a bannister brush and cut them up. I use a knot of plumbers hemp to create hay (which is generally softer than straw anyway.

Time for change (11) - Copy.JPG

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Sisal string!!! That's thinking outside the box. Except I haven't got any. Damn!
Any old natural coloured type of string will do! So long as it is not that Green Garden String.
JonD