Lithium-ion (Li-ion) Batteries - data on shelf-life and discharge rates

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Summary - this post (a) outlines the results of tests made to check the shelf-life and self-discharge rates of readily-available 12 volt Li-ion packs and (b) makes recommendations about the type of 12 volt Li-ion pack to buy and how to install it in terms of connections. Initial results are presented in a graph at the end of this first post. They will be updated as testing continues.

In various threads since February, I've summarised the invariably positive experiences of using cheap 12 volt 6800 milliamp/hour Li-ion battery packs purchased from Chinese suppliers via eBay. However, in one of the more recent threads, GSCer MRail asked something which I'd been wondering myself. Just how good are these packs in terms of charge retention? This is linked to the different design of the two types of pack most commonly available. I won't try to cover all the ground of the previous threads, nor repeat safety warnings. Suffice it to say that if you treat the two cell types reviewed with normal respect and don't do anything you wouldn't do with other batteries (e.g. shorting them/ disassembly) they are perfectly safe.
For other threads and Li-ion technology, see the following:
http://www.gscalecentral.net/m160892
http://www.gscalecentral.net/m148031
http://iccnexergy.com/articles/1244/lithium-ion-battery-assembly-challenges/

For newbies, there are two generic Li-ion packs available on eBay which, for obvious reasons, I call the black and blue types. Internally the packs are identical. They each contain three 3.7volt Li-ion batteries with both individual protection circuits and a thermal cutout protecting the pack as a whole. Externally, they are utterly different.
62b7aab6379141e1b6fa49b014b9d0e8.jpg

e150dd7386e34b1ab5e1f584f45e66ef.jpg

The black pack is housed in a hard plastic shell and measures 107mm by 64mm by 25mm, though the necessary connecting plug will require more length. The blue pack is wrapped in plastic film producing a rigid block, but obviously inherently less resistant to knocks or "stab wounds" than the black pack. The blue pack has the advantage of thinness, measuring 103mm x 53mm x 20mm though the wires which exit the pack effectively add a few millimetres in both length and width.

The critical element for review here is the way the batteries can be connected externally. This is the determining factor in battery discharge. I'll deal with each in turn, black first.
bc6583a3bb974fa9bb3170ce3da0f835.jpg

The black pack has a single socket connection, used for both charging the battery and supply to whatever load the battery powers. It is controlled by the prominent on/off switch which is illuminated when the socket is "live". The battery can only be used with the switch on. As will be seen, this has implications for use in an inaccessible location such as a loco body.
2ada83bf00914e13aa8903b2c1cece4a.jpg

As supplied, black packs come with a connecting lead with 2.1mm plugs on each end. In most circumstances, G scalers will want to cut this to attach to a control circuit. Hence the half lead terminating in a connector block as shown on the right of the picture above. For charging purposes, users have the choice of either manually swapping between the supply lead and the charger's lead, or linking a single lead to a charging socket via a switch which allows either charging or discharge, but not both at the same time. Obviously the manual method is only possible when there is easy access to the battery, such as in a trail car.

The blue pack has two leads, one intended for charging (2.1mm socket) and the other for supplying power (2.1mm plug). As supplied these are firmly taped to the battery ensuring that they cannot be connected together.
25f501e981cc4c949ef9830ddad18a34.jpg

Although the blue pack has a switch, together with a tiny "tell tale" light alongside (see second picture), the switch only controls the supply lead. The charging lead is permanently live at all times and hence is a short-circuit hazard. Cutting through the charging lead is definitely NOT recommended. Beware!
edfe89597b7040008f4552b00dd295f1.jpg

Discharge graph:
So what about the shelf-life and discharge questions and do those illuminated switches take noticeable amounts of power? The graph below shows the results of a few weeks testing. In all cases, the packs were simply sat in my cellar, not powering anything except, where shown, the light activated by the pack's switch.
3b3fdfb328fd4e3eba45dc92f1f8d971.jpg

The yellow line shows that the black pack rapidly loses voltage with the switch on. So fast that after 17 days there is no usable charge left. This rather surprised me! I wonder if the switch uses a small "conventional" bulb rather than an LED? This self-discharge will be an issue if the pack (loco) is used rarely. On the other hand, the self-discharge effect may be irrelevant if a battery is used at least once per week, though technically more discharge/charge cycling will be required and the battery's useful life shortened slightly.

The purple line is the same test, but for a blue pack with the switch on. Loss of charge is obviously much slower. In my view, for most users leaving the switch on will be a non-issue. Measurements will be continued until the pack drops below 11 volts and a revised graph posted.

Finally, the blue line represents a pack whose switch is off. There is no self-discharge measurable at all within the limits of my meter. Theoretically, Li-ion cells are expected to lose 3% of charge per month. That compares, by the way, to 30% for ordinary nickel metal-hydride (NiMH) cells, with "low self-discharge" (LSD) NiMH cells somewhere in between. Again, measurements will continue and be reported.

Conclusions
1) The blue pack design is preferable to the black pack unless the rigid shell of the black pack is absolutely necessary.
2) The black pack is suitable for use in trail cars, when the battery switch can be turned off after a running session.
3) The blue pack is the preferred type for installation in an inaccessible location or when running sessions are infrequent.
4) For maximum capacity, the blue pack should be connected in a manner which allows power to flow with the switch (and light) off. This depends on connection design, as outlined below.

Blue pack users have various choices in making connections:
1) tape up the exposed supply lead and use the charging lead for both charging and supply, manually switching cables. Probably only an option in a trail car.
2) use the charging lead for charging and connect the supply lead either directly to its load or (preferably) via an on/off switch. This requires the battery switch to be on at all times and risks both charging and discharge happening at the same time. Those with more knowledge can advise if this is really a bad thing.
3) tape up the charging lead, cut into the supply lead (with the battery switch off!) and link the supply lead to both a charging socket and speed controller via a switch which allows either charging or discharge, but not both at the same time. This approach requires the blue pack's switch to be on at all times.
4) cut into the supply lead and use the severed plug end as a mate for the charging lead with the other end connected as described in (3). Tape up any exposed wires from the supply lead.
d77783acfa76468bb36d174884dff0b9.jpg

Option 4 is my recommended approach. It means the battery switch can be left off and also makes exchanging the battery at some future point a simple plug swap, rather than unscrewing or unsoldering connections.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I do not currently use Li-ion batteries, a review such as this will greatly help in any decision making. Many thanks and this will certainly go in my "Subscriptions"..
JonD

MRail

16mm etc - Live steam, battery & trams
26 Oct 2009
Merseyside, U.K.
youtube.com.user.MadogMersey
Best answers
Country flag
whatlep said:
Option 4 is my recommended approach.
Thank you for a valuable piece of work.
I think I was arriving at option 4 after my so far brief experience.
My blue packs are installed in a pair of locos each using 2 Essel rod drive trucks (whizzy cranks).
These are definitely slower than before, and I think would benefit form higher voltage - another story.

One other caveat for buyers concerns the black battery.
Mine was listed & described as 6800mAh. The pack received is 3800mAh.
6daf197d24244d44a6bc71c3f893687e.jpg

Too late, I studied the pic above on the listing page.
It is clearly a different pack, also having a USB 5V output, and the listing has since been changed.
I've written to the seller, but so far no reply. It's uneconomical to send it back, so a lesson learnt.

The black pack is also too wide for my locos - I've tried the Accy Baguley and Hartland Mack.
Will have to get more blue ones.

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
MRail said:
One other caveat for buyers concerns the black battery.
Mine was listed & described as 6800mAh. The pack received is 3800mAh.
Too late, I studied the pic above on the listing page.

That's a shame, though 3800mAh is pretty decent for most purposes.
For future reference, all the 6800mAh batteries, both black and blue, have 12680 displayed prominently on the label (12680 = 12volt 6.80 Amp hours capability).

Something I failed to mention in the earlier review is that all the batteries referenced in my review operate strictly in a voltage range of 12.6 volts to 10.8 volts. This is because each of the three batteries in the pack will charge up to a maximum of 4.2 volts and then drop through their nominal voltage of 3.7 volts until they reach a cutoff point of 3.6 volts (3x3.6=10.8) at which point the protective circuits shut down the pack until it is recharged. So once a pack gets down to 11 volts as shown on the graph, it is of limited use for running.

MRail

26 Oct 2009
Merseyside, U.K.
Best answers
Country flag
whatlep said:
That's a shame, though 3800mAh is pretty decent for most purposes.
Westcott said:
The 5V output could be used as an RC servo power supply.
Yes indeed, all is not lost.
I'll be exploring that avenue in due course.

KleineDicke

Trains, trains, and trains. Oh, did I mention tra
24 Oct 2009
Houston, Texas
Best answers
Is there a difference between Chinese milliamps and real milliamps? I ask because my experience has been it seems the capacity of these batteries in grossly overstated. For example, I have a 3000 mAh "blue" Li-Ion battery pack. I use it in a LGB 2090 Diesel which draws less than one amp when running. So a 3000 mAh battery should give me 3+ hours of run time. But it goes from fully charged to flat in about 40 minutes. Likewise, a similar 1800 mAh battery gives about 20 minutes of run time. I have also noticed that recharging these batteries doesn't take nearly as long as I expect, given the AC charger is only rated at 350 mA. The 3000 mAh battery recharges in 2-3 hours. So I have a hard time believing the stated capacity.

BTW, I've noticed similar results from some of the AA and AAA NiMH batteries I've purchased on eBay from Chinese merchants.

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
KleineDicke said:
Is there a difference between Chinese milliamps and real milliamps? I ask because my experience has been it seems the capacity of these batteries in grossly overstated. For example, I have a 3000 mAh "blue" Li-Ion battery pack. I use it in a LGB 2090 Diesel which draws less than one amp when running. So a 3000 mAh battery should give me 3+ hours of run time. But it goes from fully charged to flat in about 40 minutes. Likewise, a similar 1800 mAh battery gives about 20 minutes of run time. I have also noticed that recharging these batteries doesn't take nearly as long as I expect, given the AC charger is only rated at 350 mA. The 3000 mAh battery recharges in 2-3 hours. So I have a hard time believing the stated capacity.

BTW, I've noticed similar results from some of the AA and AAA NiMH batteries I've purchased on eBay from Chinese merchants.

I can only comment for the batteries which I've purchased from a Chinese eBay supplier who trades variously as "keyzone" and "eachdesk". From that supplier, the 6800 cells have exceeded my expectations in all respects. Running times of over 8 hours from a single LGB Schoema are normal and around 3 hours from a 2095 diesel with the same train. To put that in context, with 2.1mAh NiMH cells, the Schoema running time was at most 2.5 hours. Recharging time for a fully discharged battery is 8-9 hours which varies enormously from what you have experienced. I believe that other GSC users of batteries from the same supplier (e.g. ROSS, Coggesrailway) have had similar results.

As in all walks of life, caveat emptor and rely only on data you can trust - such as the reviews on GSC!

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I have had the same experience with the Chinese batteries as Whatlep. Fairly long run times, although I have not clocked them as yet. Charging takes overnight.

KleineDicke

24 Oct 2009
Houston, Texas
Best answers
An interesting point, Ross; I'll have to experiment with that. I assume then the charger will continue charging after it indicates a full charge (i.e. the Green LED goes out)?

BTW, it is NOT always true the charging lead on the blue battery packs is unswitched. This lead is definitely switched on my battery. In fact, the instructions for the battery say you must have the switch in the "on" position to charge.

KleineDicke

24 Oct 2009
Houston, Texas
Best answers
Well, that didn't work. I charged a battery all day + all night, and it still gave me only about 40 minutes run time. Bummer. Now I'll try a different charger. Funny thing, I noticed some of the chargers (I have 5 that all came with these Li-ion batteries) say 350 mA, and others say 200 mA, even though the model number is the same. I also have one made by a different company than the others, so I'll try that one next.

I'm thinking about getting another charger; like this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/270765590343?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 < Link To http://www.ebay.com/itm/2...ksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
Think it will work?

MRail

26 Oct 2009
Merseyside, U.K.
Best answers
Country flag
This may seem a little naive...
If the charger's indicator light turns green, does it not mean it's stopped charging, no matter how much longer you leave it?
(notwithstanding the battery condition)

MRail

26 Oct 2009
Merseyside, U.K.
Best answers
Country flag
SWMBO has a hand-held vacuum cleaner by a well know promoter of cyclone technology.
This has a Li-ion battery, 24V and a charger very similar to those under discussion, but of a higher rating.
It charges in about 3.5hrs, and the green light goes out. We(!) then have about 6 mins of cleaning time!

KleineDicke

24 Oct 2009
Houston, Texas
Best answers
ROSS said:
If they say use the 350mA charger then use it. The charger you fancy is 1000mA (1 amp) and I would not be inclined to use it. You probably have a duff battery on your hands. However, try the last 350mA charger. If battery still low then its a duffer - as one has to assume at least the chargers are not useless
I might have a duff battery, but four duff batteries? We'll see; I have ordered a new 6800 battery.

BTW, Ross, could you post a photo and model number etc. of your "new" and "old" chargers?

KleineDicke

24 Oct 2009
Houston, Texas
Best answers
MRail said:
This may seem a little naive...
If the charger's indicator light turns green, does it not mean it's stopped charging, no matter how much longer you leave it?
(notwithstanding the battery condition)
My thoughts as well.

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
As promised, an updated chart for the discharge rates of the batteries on test. Bottom line, the blue switched type can clearly be left alone even with the LED on for at least a month without anything exciting happening. Similarly, the discharge rate of these Li-ion cells with no load on them is as close to zero as makes no difference over a one month period.
c8366161d4b24cdd879232bf32f6d569.jpg

The seond chart shows this even more clearly with a direct comparison between Li-ion and NiMH cells of the "low self-discharge" (LSD) type. Even the LSD cells lose charge at a perceptible rate, though they are far, far better at retaining charge than ordinary NiMH cells which are expected (manufacturer's figures) to lose 30% of charge over one month.
18797064a298473fa1cbcd2f058202de.jpg

I'm now repeating the discharge test on the black battery with the LED on, just to double-check that very rapid discharge rate. If anyone has some ordinary NiMH cells I could borrow for comparison testing for a month, I'd be interested in hearing from you!

gregh

electronics, computers and scratchbuilding
1 Nov 2009
Sydney, Australia
www.members.optusnet.com.au
Best answers
Country flag
A really great thread. So I'll add some of my measurements to the data.

For shelf life, I charged a 6600 mAh 3S LiPo up in March last year (2011). In March 2012 I charged it again after no use and it took about 25% of its capacity. ie a 25% discharge per year. So maybe 2% per month!

Another great thing about lithium is that the battery voltage is an accurate measure of its state of charge. I've taken many measurements and produced this graph so I can just measure the (no-load) volts and know what % charge is still left. It's for 3 cells, so max charge volts are 12.6.
de298abb3bb34a97aaccd0cf3c0db795.jpg

As an example, yesterday I grabbed a loco with a 2200 mAh battery and volts of 11.15 so I reckoned it would take about 75% x 2200 = 1540 mAh, and it took 1620 to fully charge.

gregh

electronics, computers and scratchbuilding
1 Nov 2009
Sydney, Australia
www.members.optusnet.com.au
Best answers
Country flag
ROSS said:
Greagh.
Your data is about LITH POLY.
This thread is all about LITH IONS as the heading shows.
This could confuse beginners seeing as they are different battery types - albeit Lithium types.
Please ROSS, try to accept that LiPo and Li-ion are electrically the same.
Here's a couple of links to try to convince you:
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries/
it says in part:
"Charging Lithium-ion Polymer
Charging Li?ion polymer, also referred as Li-polymer, is very similar to a regular lithium-ion battery and no changes in algorithm are necessary. Most users won?t even know if their battery is Li?ion or Li?polymer. The word ?polymer? has been used as promotional hype and does not reflect special attributes other than to know that the battery is built in a different way to a standard Li-ion."

or this one: http://www.powerstream.com/li.htm
"Lithium Ion Charging
These remarks apply equally to lithium ion and lithium polymer batteries. The chemistry is basically the same for the two types of batteries, so charging methods for lithium polymer batteries can be used for lithium-ion batteries."
[The red highlights are mine.]

So this seemed to me to be the best Topic to add my data to the great work of whatlep. My results are absolutely applicable to the Topic heading.

It seems to me that the difference you are promoting is that the type you call Lith Ion have some inbuilt protection circuit for overcharging/discharging, short circuit etc ? Whereas LiPo do not, and rely on the charger and load to provide the 'protection".
If you prefer using Li-ion for perceived reasons of safety, go ahead and make the point, but it is you who is confusing the readers by insisting Li-ion and LiPo are really different.

For those interested in learning the facts, here's some more links to inform you about Li batteries:
http://www.batteryeducation.com/2006/04/what_is_the_dif.html
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080504170740AAevnfI
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/is_lithium_ion_the_ideal_battery

For those interested in the safety aspects, this one is a report funded by many large insurance companies into failures of Li batteries:
http://www.nfpa.org/assets/files/pdf/research/rflithiumionbatterieshazard.pdf
It has 126 pages of failure mode analysis. Some interesting sections are:
p18 indicates that it covers li-ion and LiPo types
p65-66 deals with venting of cells and likelihood of fire.
P69-77 details the failure modes of:
Thermal abuse
Mechanical abuse
Electrical abuse

Also ROSS please note that, my name is Greg as you can see in my signature, and my forum name is spelt gregh.

MRail

26 Oct 2009
Merseyside, U.K.
Best answers
Country flag
I have two of the 6800MAH type, with 3 pin chargers.
Just purchased a 9800MAH version for a friend's railbus conversion. I requested a UK 3 pin charger.
It came with a two pin charger (350Ma) with a travel adaptor for UK, and is MUCH bigger than the 6800 type.
The switch operates on both leads, so with battery in situ and switch ON the LED is draining power when not in use.
With bodywork re-assembled, the switch is not accessible.
Does anyone (maybe Ross) know the likely drain rate?

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
My Blue battery arrived the other day and came with a 350mAh charger and a travel adapter for Aust use.
When I contacted the seller prior to buying they told me that they will ship an adapter to match the country of origin of the buyer.
That is interesting that both leads are switched.