Liskeard and Caradon Brake Van No 6

A

Alec K

Supplied in the 1870s to the L and CR by the Metropolitan Carriage and Wagon Works, Brake Van No 6 survived in an increasingly dowdy condition until 1909 when the GWR condemned the whole of the rolling stock on takeover. The van, used on passenger and mixed trains, had a wheelbase of only 5 feet and must have been a real experience for its 1st class passengers -everyone else rose in open 6t wagons! My model is built from plasticard, 'Evergreen' plastic section and Tenmille running gear. Lamp irons, and door and grab handles are lost wax castings from Brandbright, and the transfers are a Chris Moxham production. I've also built a L and CR 6t open wagon and will post this in due course.

All the best

Alec

[attachment deleted by admin]

Rich

Railways from model to 1:1.</br>T.V. - comedy, Doc
24 Oct 2009
Leicestershire
Best answers
Thats a stunning little model Alec, interesting history too reminds alittle bit of the bug coaches on the ffestiniog. ;)

A

Alec K

Many thanks, Rich! Yes, this vehicle was tiny - the coaches from the same manufacturer were larger than the van that was supposed to brake them, and when it was coupled next to GWR stock after the latter got running rights on the L and C, it was dwarfed. Goodness alone knows what the brake force was. Not very great, I guess!

The comparison with the Ffestiniog 'bug box' is spot on.

As ever

Alec

brianthesnail96

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Gloucesterestershire
Best answers
That's wonderful, brilliant modelling.

A

Alec K

Comments much appreciated, Matt. It's a shame you can't watch the real thing crossing over the road near the Cheeswring Hotel (strongly recommended, btw, for food and beer - you're nearer than me!)

Alec

brianthesnail96

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Gloucesterestershire
Best answers
We'll have to try and find that one- a new one on me!

Look forward to seeing what else you get up to, e.g. the 6T open ;)