Lisbon narrow-gauge tram running in Alaska via generator trailer

Southwestforests

Registered
2 Nov 2021
Missouri
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, Virginia, there is a prototype for everything, https://www.railpictures.net/photo/788335/

"The Whitehorse trolley is a heritage streetcar service that is running in Whitehorse. It uses a single reconditioned trolley which carries tourists along Whitehorse's waterfront along the Yukon River. It runs from the Rotary Peace Park, located on the south end of the city centre, up to the north end of the city centre at Spook Creek Station. The trolley originally served in Lisbon, Portugal, from 1925 to 1978. It was sold to Whitehorse in 2000. The trolley is a narrow-gauge vehicle, and runs on the track built for the White Pass and Yukon Route. It has a capacity of 25 passengers. The electricity to power its electric motors comes not from overhead trolley wires, but instead from a diesel generator towed (or pushed) on a trailer. "

Software Tools

Registered
18 Jan 2013
Sydney, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
There are quite a few towed generator tram/streetcar operations at museums, or for tourism purposes, around the world.

Here's a shot of the OERHS Willamette Shore Trolley in Portland Oregon, in 2008, with the generator trolley. At that time they were using one of Master Unit cars from Portland, but nowadays they are using a replica of a older style Portland street car.

The track is part of the former SP Red Electric interurban system in Oregon.

DSC01781R.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
1637904533670.jpeg
After the closure of the Bradford Trolleybus system!

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Coal Gas Generator.jpg
How about a gas powered bus?

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
There was a Gas (diesel or petrol) powered Tram in Denver when I visited in 1994, had the engine in a trailer on the rear going out and front on return. Think it may have been the Platte Valley or something like that. Could now be the Denver Trolley. Sadly never took any pictures, left that to my pal who was a Tram nut.

schienenkönig

I'm a tram enthusiast and have made trams Scale G
4 May 2014
Wuppertal
Country
Germany
www.schwebebahn-wtal.de
Best answers
Country flag
A "Nahverkerhsmuseum Mooskamp" (Local transport museum Mooskamp) museum tram runs between the local transport museum and the old Hansa coking plant. It drives without overhead lines and uses two generator cars for this purpose.

73786-mooskamp-01.05.2018.jpg

73787-mooskamp-01.05.2018.jpg

73800-mooskamp-01.05.2018.jpg

Peter . Wuppertal.

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
You've given me an idea there Peter - I think I'll make a generator car to run with my trams! Nobody could accuse me of not being prototypical then:)

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Yes a flat with a scratch built generator as seen in post #6 between 2 LGB cars would work very well.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
You've given me an idea there Peter - I think I'll make a generator car to run with my trams! Nobody could accuse me of not being prototypical then:)
Mick seem like a good idea, may think about that myself.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Don't you believe it! Someone would moan about a missed rivet on the underneath

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
So, Jimmy.....
A tram soundcard, for bells, and the clickety-clack of the tram. Then a cheapy diesel soundcard, for the drone of the generator... :wasntme:
A suitably scented, smoke generator as well? :wondering::mask:;)

PhilP

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
So, Jimmy.....
A tram soundcard, for bells, and the clickety-clack of the tram. Then a cheapy diesel soundcard, for the drone of the generator... :wasntme:
A suitably scented, smoke generator as well? :wondering::mask:;)

PhilP
Sounds like the setup for my Flexicity Tram, but I have used 2 My Loco Sound cards which work quite fine. Have even utilised the 3 buttons to call different sounds from each card.

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I will be interested to see how you make a generator look more like a generator?
;):giggle:
It's a generation thing. you youngsters wouldn't understand.

David

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I understood exactly what Jimmy meant.

He is basing his models on generators on the picture.

But that said, he will add/change details to make them even more recognizable as a generator. (as opposed to an orange box with writing on it).

Made perfect sense to me looking at the somewhat lack of external clues/details on the picture of an actual generator.

Did I "get your meaning" Jimmy?

Greg

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
He could go all 21st century and environmentally friendly and make a battery car which is charged off a wind generator or solar panels.
Big box as in the photo sans exhaust.
A new "prototype"?

Or go full retro ;);)

P1040586 (2).jpg

Then again there is Hydrogen another prototype.

The opportunities are almost endless.

Last edited: