Liquitex spraypaint

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
For the second time I am struggling with Liquitex rattle can paint.
Try as I might I can’t get anywhere near acceptable results.
Despite careful cleaning of plastic components and the use of primer, orange peel, runs or uneven thickness is all I can achieve.
The stuff came recommended and wasn’t cheap but I think I should have stuck with Halford’s or Wilko’s own brand. :mad:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I haven't come across that brand - I have used Plastikote with varying success - the problems usually being my impatience.

The theory - and I stress it's theory ('cos I rarely manage it) is a number of thin coats. This means that you can't expect full colour cover the first one or two, possibly three coats.

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
I haven't come across that brand - I have used Plastikote with varying success - the problems usually being my impatience.

The theory - and I stress it's theory ('cos I rarely manage it) is a number of thin coats. This means that you can't expect full colour cover the first one or two, possibly three coats.
I have tried the usual methods including several thin coats to no avail.
Thank goodness for brake fluid!
Wilko here I come......

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I have tried the usual methods including several thin coats to no avail.
Thank goodness for brake fluid!
Wilko here I come......
P'raps you'd so better with the Rhino method - one thick coat :D:D:D

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Not used that Make , I use Hycote, expensive if bought one can at a time, but cheap when you buy them a dozen at a time :) not had any problems at all with them unless I have tried to spray when it's been to cold.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
For the second time I am struggling with Liquitex rattle can paint.
Try as I might I can’t get anywhere near acceptable results.
Despite careful cleaning of plastic components and the use of primer, orange peel, runs or uneven thickness is all I can achieve.
The stuff came recommended and wasn’t cheap but I think I should have stuck with Halford’s or Wilko’s own brand. :mad:
Have to say I always use Halfords brand, goes on nicely with their undercoat and someone somewhere had done a list of what to buy to get a good colour match to a required prototypical colour.

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
I think it is a faulty can. :(
After scrubbing with brake fluid, washing thoroughly and re-priming I have tried 2 thin coats from another can and it is looking acceptable. Fortunately, I am only trialling on the backs of a couple of reefer doors.

The paint was the nearest to GNR green I couid source and bought primarily to repaint a modified Emily.
That is a way off yet, I am still trying to summon up the courage to slice the rear of the cab roof. I might just accept it as it is. :sweating:

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Have to say I always use Halfords brand, goes on nicely with their undercoat and someone somewhere had done a list of what to buy to get a good colour match to a required prototypical colour.
I like Halfords red and grey primers and lots of other top coats. They are good, I have used their red primer with a gloss varnish to good effect.
Sadly, they currently don’t have the green I need.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I like Halfords red and grey primers and lots of other top coats. They are good, I have used their red primer with a gloss varnish to good effect.
Sadly, they currently don’t have the green I need.
Typical, I went to Wicks today to get some wood for a couple of projects for the house and one for my Japeneese effect Garden. House stuff OK but only a third of what I needed for the Garden. Many of the shelves were quite bare oh and none of the 1.8m 3inch fence posts I needed for another little job on my plate. But at least I got the Postcrete and Metposts required. Probably try the builders yard, need some Celtex and Plaster Board delivering as well, that will not fit in the Smart Car.

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Typical, I went to Wicks today to get some wood for a couple of projects for the house and one for my Japeneese effect Garden. House stuff OK but only a third of what I needed for the Garden. Many of the shelves were quite bare oh and none of the 1.8m 3inch fence posts I needed for another little job on my plate. But at least I got the Postcrete and Metposts required. Probably try the builders yard, need some Celtex and Plaster Board delivering as well, that will not fit in the Smart Car.
I have been waiting weeks for good quality roofing felt I mainly for my workshop roof but also to cover the new track decking. Nothing available anywhere unless it is the blotting paper shed felt.