Lineside Hut Zillertal Coach arrives!!!

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Well, I saw it on the stand at Llanfair, and just had to have one. Many of us there were giving it the once-over and a determined thumbs-up, and now that it's here at last, along with the wheels and running gear, I can safely agree with the company who note in the instructions that it is a 'complicated kit'.

He was not kidding.

The instructions MUST be followed to the letter, or all kinds of little problems, that will inevitably lead to big problems, will certainly ensue. This model has many many small parts, not least of which are the fancy slatted seats in three different forms, and other parts made of a number of different materials. I have no doubt that when finished, it will be worth putting on a shelf inside a display case, but it's going to be runned instead as part of a Welshpool train.

That won't be for a while, though, as I have my Canadian Pacific express reefer to finish first, and Precision Scale over in USA are heel-dragging over the door locks and fancy hinges that are so much a part of this gauge 1 model. I await the opinion of those others of you you took the plunge like I did, and who might share the build with the rest of you with an interest in either the Zillertalbahn proper, or the line in Wales where much of their old coaching stock ended up.

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
I've just ordered 2 to run behind my Joan. It does look very nice in the pictures. Having completed an Occre tram and a couple of Hartford and Rio Grande kits I don't feel too daunted. Famous last words. What colours for the body and window frames does anybody suggest is used to replicate them as run at the W&L now ?

The standard of laser cut kits being produced these days, and resin and 3D print too, has come on leaps and bounds in recent years. Evidence Resurgam's SAR kits and others' work. The "artisan" makers are really getting to grips with exploiting the capabilities of "on demand" production technologies to make these very fine, accurately scaled and detailed niche products available at reasonable cost. Max

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, when tc first mentioned this coach, it wasn't ;isted on the Lineside hut website - but it now is, and looks a spanker.

Pity we're not treated to similar goodies in Fn3 :think::think:

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
The trader told me that the advice about the correct shade of brown is in the instructions - so far I haven't found them, but you'll need cream for the window surrounds and thinned light walnut varnish for all the wood. Luckily I'm over there a good bit, and took a load of pic at the gala - since we were actually riding inside at the time it was no great hardship.....

Last edited:

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Any pics of this kit?

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I can't post any since I seem to be restricted to 10 x 10 pixels, or so it seems.

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
In any case, there are about a zillion pieces, most of which make other pieces, that go together to make sub-assemblies that go together...you get the idea. Why not just buy the kit and find out the easy way? You can see what the kit looks like on the LH website, but remember that the version you will see has the rather odd-looking trucks, and not the correct two axles.

All I can show you is what it looks like in the 'real'-

1570610430366.png

maxi-model

27 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Pity we're not treated to similar goodies in Fn3 :think::think:

Hopefully Ozark will continue with their program of resurrecting the Hartford range and someone will pick up the presently moribund Rio Grande UK range. I've mentioned the last to Resurgam's proprietor in case they run out of subject matter. It all comes down to demand though but the "tooling" in those instances are still there and supposedly available.

However, with the advances being made now to promote the ability to produce these niche products on a purley "on demand" basis it comes down to an originator having the skills in understanding of the software tools and the chosen production equipment's capabilities and the wherewithal and will to do the research and invest the time to create the data files required to drive that equipment. There seems to be a cottage industry springing up to service and augment those with the will to create these products on this basis.

I used to have my own business, up until 12 years ago producing a small range of resin multi media kits and hand built 1:32 slot car models. Then, 20 years ago, you needed to see a market of 300 or so units to invest in the tooling for a specific model and possibly make modest profit. Now the whole picture has totally changed with laser cutting, additive 3D production methods and reliable and versatile print on demand methods. I'm tempted, as I enter my retirement from the daily grind, to dip my toe back in the water. Max

Sorry Tac, perhaps I should start a different thread with this.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Hopefully Ozark will continue with their program of resurrecting the Hartford range and someone will pick up the presently moribund Rio Grande UK range. I've mentioned the last to Resurgam's proprietor in case they run out of subject matter. It all comes down to demand though but the "tooling" in those instances are still there and supposedly available.

However, with the advances being made now to promote the ability to produce these niche products on a purley "on demand" basis it comes down to an originator having the skills in understanding of the software tools and the chosen production equipment's capabilities and the wherewithal and will to do the research and invest the time to create the data files required to drive that equipment. There seems to be a cottage industry springing up to service and augment those with the will to create these products on this basis.

I used to have my own business, up until 12 years ago producing a small range of resin multi media kits and hand built 1:32 slot car models. Then, 20 years ago, you needed to see a market of 300 or so units to invest in the tooling for a specific model and possibly make modest profit. Now the whole picture has totally changed with laser cutting, additive 3D production methods and reliable and versatile print on demand methods. I'm tempted, as I enter my retirement from the daily grind, to dip my toe back in the water. Max

Sorry Tac, perhaps I should start a different thread with this.
The only problem with the Rio Grande range is that you need to start with a £260 accucraft coach :confused::confused:

maxi-model

27 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
The only problem with the Rio Grande range is that you need to start with a £260 accucraft coach :confused::confused:

Well, if it's the Pagosa combine you do. Other Rio' kits a pair of trucks was all you needed to add, e.g. the Gunnison plow. But that is how the technology, makers understanding of it and a ready supply of, then, lower cost AMS J&S's influenced a kit's design that resulted in a need for a donor.

If you get a chance Rhino take a look at one of Resurgams SAR kits - everything down to the detailed trucks are in there, all in laser cut MDF. What is achievable now with a laser cutter, nous and a bit of creative design is quite staggering. All you need to buy there are the wheelsets, couplings and decals. And there are suppliers for those too - what I was saying about a cottage industry springing up to support these new production possibilities. Some companies, Bowaters for example, are going to these 3rd parties so they can incorporate 3D printed parts where laser cut items alone won't fit the bill. Max

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Well, if it's the Pagosa combine you do. Other Rio' kits a pair of trucks was all you needed to add, e.g. the Gunnison plow. But that is how the technology, makers understanding of it and a ready supply of, then, lower cost AMS J&S's influenced a kit's design that resulted in a need for a donor.

If you get a chance Rhino take a look at one of Resurgams SAR kits - everything down to the detailed trucks are in there, all in laser cut MDF. What is achievable now with a laser cutter, nous and a bit of creative design is quite staggering. All you need to buy there are the wheelsets, couplings and decals. And there are suppliers for those too - what I was saying about a cottage industry springing up to support these new production possibilities. Some companies, Bowaters for example, are going to these 3rd parties so they can incorporate 3D printed parts where laser cut items alone won't fit the bill. Max

Wheelsets and bearing - Brandbright.

High brake pipes - Brandbright.

Couplings - Accucraft are usually best, but YMMV.

Rivets - Cambrian Models - IF needed.

Decals - SAR/RhE - Endon Valley Transfers - Tom Eivers.

Read my article in Garden Rail a couple of months back on the build of the ZB ballast wagon shown here...

1570629361319.png

Whinemeal, back to the Zillertal coach - For anybody contemplating building this model, I have a load of interior pics to help you out, including the tables and framed pictures on the intersticial walls.

Last edited:

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Don't forget that there are TWO different lengths/styles of ZB passenger coaches - he is the shorty -

1570629069579.png

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Why not just buy the kit and find out the easy way
'Co's you've just said it's difficult and fiddly! I'm only just up to making easy ones!

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
So buy the LGB version, if you can find one - I'd been looking for years without a hit.

Mind you, there is also a small-scale kit maker in Germany who makes this and the Zelfkanbahn coaches, albeit in 1/22.5 to match LGB's other metre gauge stuff. It's around 500eu though.

And still difficult and fiddly...

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
So buy the LGB version, if you can find one - I'd been looking for years without a hit.

Mind you, there is also a small-scale kit maker in Germany who makes this and the Zelfkanbahn coaches, albeit in 1/22.5 to match LGB's other metre gauge stuff. It's around 500eu though.

And still difficult and fiddly...
I think I'll stick to messing about with IP or Brandbright kits. €500 is a bit steep for a kit which, in my hands, has the potential to turn out to be a 1/22,5 bonfire

Reactions: 1 user

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hopefully Ozark will continue with their program of resurrecting the Hartford range and someone will pick up the presently moribund Rio Grande UK range.

The main person of colour in the lumber stack with the now-defunct Rio Grande Range was the high cost of the conversion that had to be added, with a more than handy degree of skill, to a 1/20.3 passenger car that was already around £300. Not only that, but all the car-body variants were not readily available. For many, including me, that added up to a £500 car, and you really need at least six of 'em for a reasonable train consist in a Colorado setting layout.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag

I'm eagerly awaiting the the SAR Class 91 from Bowaters - the trouble is that they have been deflected with some WHR / FR dismals.

Same principle, but the trickier shapes are done with some 3D printing :nod::nod:

That said, we'll have to see about the state of the wallet when the 91 is finally ready - the other drawback being that they're going to use PDF bogies which have a 16:1 ratio which seems a shade high to me :oops::oops:

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Below is a picture of the kit from 'Line Side Hut'. Zillertalbahn - The Line Side Hut

I think the model is actually the asymmetrical 1st/2nd coach with slightly wider windows at one end which should be designated as 1st class. The slightly less wider ones at the far end 2nd class.
Or do my eyes deceive me? Yeah, I know perspective and all that but I do have a sharp eye for compositional detail. :nerd:
Info: A modeller’s overview of old Zillertalbahn coaches All of which are steel sided. Anyone with more info on these aspects would be helpful. :nod:

LineSideHut Zillertal Coach Kit 01.jpg

The LGB offering has steel sides, different window count on sides and ends, different gates and no roof support poles . A green DEV coach with the clerestory removed and a repaint would look much the same as their Zillertal version.

LGB Zillertal Coach.jpg

Last edited:

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Whether some of the details aren't quite right or not, it's still a very nice looking model.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Below is a picture of the kit from 'Line Side Hut'. Zillertalbahn - The Line Side Hut

I think the model is actually the asymmetrical 1st/2nd coach with slightly wider windows at one end which should be designated as 1st class. The slightly less wider ones at the far end 2nd class.
Or do my eyes deceive me? Yeah, I know perspective and all that but I do have a sharp eye for compositional detail. :nerd:
Info: A modeller’s overview of old Zillertalbahn coaches All of which are steel sided. Anyone with more info on these aspects would be helpful. :nod:

View attachment 308749

The LGB offering has steel sides, different window count on sides and ends, different gates and no roof support poles . A green DEV coach with the clerestory removed and a repaint would look much the same as their Zillertal version.

View attachment 308751
Ok so there are some strange things going on at the W&L. So the ZR coaches were certainly 4 wheelers not 8 wheel bogie coaches. This pic shows that.
2479A2EF-6579-4688-BD83-E838FB3546DE.jpeg
However what the W&L have done is to put some bogies on one of the coaches and turned it into a PWay vehicle, this is what the Lineside Hut model would appear to represent. I do not believe it ever ran on the W&L in public passenger service with bogies but I am open to correction on that.
244CE7EC-94EB-476C-9459-199DC2E90302.jpeg

Not sure how current the information that I used to research this is.