L'il Critter bash

gregh

electronics, computers and scratchbuilding
1 Nov 2009
Sydney, Australia
www.members.optusnet.com.au
Best answers
Country flag
Quite a few years ago my wife gave me an Aristocraft Li’l Critter loco.

6591543197bb42f69135fccd50bc5fbf.jpg

I decided To bash it into a small dual hood. In NSW we had a shunting ‘tractor’ called an X200 class – looked like this, and I wanted something like it.

9c9fc5a0b47f40828ac97c2bce01b5c2.jpg

The original critter has a small ‘front’ hood that’s not visible in my pic, but I reused it and built the new sides and top, and shortened the original ‘long’ hood. Here’s the result.
3cbad6a450e144ef9eb3dbee550fbf4b.jpg

474a3c498df64d428c28edcadb7d3c15.jpg

The original hood is on the right and my creation on the left. (it’s not really bowed – the camera lens does that.) The rounded tops of the hood are done by building a square box from 1.5mm styrene, then building up inside the corners with lots of styrene strips and MEK, then using a bench grinder for the initial 45 degree shaping, and then a file and sandpaper for finishing. (styrene is great stuff to use on a bench grinder – just rips right through it and the swarf snaps off clean as a whistle (once it’s cooled. It’s best to use a coarse wheel rather than smooth.
Then I decided to put some of the new 2.4 GHz radio control into it. I fitted 4, NiMH AA cells in each hood. One end also has the speed controller (ESC), receiver and reversing servo. The other end has the sound board and 3” speaker facing into the cab. It was a bit of a squeeze, but here’s a poor pic of how it looks inside. (I am not the tidiest wirer!)
50526952f85c457d8e4ab275ca9ed003.jpg

The batteries are covered by a sheet of (white) styrene, then the Rx, servo and ESC are hot glued onto it. (left of pic). The aerial is just tucked in wherever it will go and it still works OK ! There is a switch to allow it to work from track power as it is my ‘testing’ loco for track power. The red wording says “ track/RC switch under”.
The sound system is my own design using a Picaxe microcontroller, and doesn’t really sound that realistic, but any sound is better than none in my book.

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
That is agreat bash Greg, well done matey

Zman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
On a hillside in Morley, overlooking Leeds!
Best answers
An interesting conversion, gives it a quite different appearance :clap:

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
I have one of these Critters, I am going to have primp it.................now where is master Junior Hacksaw and Mr Lump Hammer

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
'S very nice :D

gregh

electronics, computers and scratchbuilding
1 Nov 2009
Sydney, Australia
www.members.optusnet.com.au
Best answers
Country flag
Gizzy said:
The original X200 looks like a Sentinel Loco?
I found this link which might be of interest to you....
http://www.nvr.org.uk/istg/d10202.php

Thanks for the link Gizzy. I suspect the designers here in NSW had a pic of the Sentinel;) Ours definately had two equal length hoods.
The X200 were actually made from the 4 wheel bogies from the giant 4-8-4 + 4-8-4 Garratts we ran here. Talk about recycling from the gigantic to the miniscule.