Lights on a class 66

ASG

Trains, Old Motorbikes, Beekeeping
2 Jan 2010
Cheshire
Best answers
I have recently purchased a Aristocraft class 66 loco and have noticed that you cannot have both headlights on at the same time it's either one side or the other. There is a switch for lights which put the main light on at the front(top) of the loco, both side lights and one headlight. It also has a switch for day or night lights and this just toggles with side the headlight is on, left or right. Is this normal as I'm not to familiar with modern loco's.
I'm probably going to change the wiring sothe night setting has all the lights on at the front and the day setting just the side lights.
Regards Andrew

spike

It's me
24 Oct 2009
Upper Drakes Bottom
www.weathersatellite.info
Best answers
Country flag
ASG said:
I have recently purchased a Aristocraft class 66 loco and have noticed that you cannot have both headlights on at the same time it's either one side or the other. There is a switch for lights which put the main light on at the front(top) of the loco, both side lights and one headlight. It also has a switch for day or night lights and this just toggles with side the headlight is on, left or right. Is this normal as I'm not to familiar with modern loco's.
I'm probably going to change the wiring sothe night setting has all the lights on at the front and the day setting just the side lights.
Regards Andrew

Think thats the normal lighting for Class 66 :thinking:

ASG

2 Jan 2010
Cheshire
Best answers
Thought it was normal, didn't think it was a fault with the loco, just seems a bit weird, wondered if anybody knew why? :thinking:

Rob

Registered
3 Nov 2009
Liverpool
www.flickr.com
Best answers
Country flag
its normal and completely prototypical.
The light should be on the off-side (right hand side) during the day and the Drivers side during the night, the two are never on together.
just makes sure the headlamp is on the most beneficial side and reduces dazzling of passing drivers at night.

Tony

Model railways
28 Feb 2010
East coast Essex
www.facebook.com
Best answers
006-2.jpg
"
Any excuss to publish a photo or two and got her fresh from her box tonight so had to test the smoke gen as well LOL
008-2.jpg
"

013-2.jpg
"

Tony

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I'm sure Dave Hub will be able to explain everything about the lights - he drives real ones.

Dave Hub

everyting
26 Oct 2009
west mids
Best answers
Cheers for the opening Chris.

Chris is right I do drive these in real life.

There are settings in the loco;
marker lights: primarily used for yard work.
the day or night headlight: which will be lit in conjuntion with marker lights.
Tail lights:red lights for displaying in light engine running on the rear.
Only time you will ever see both headlights lit at the same time is if they have been set to hazard light mode, then both headlights flash at the same time. In an emergency Hazard lights would be set to flash and red tail lights also displayed, which remain steady. (hope you never see this in real life)

If you are really keen the current rulebook module relating to train running is in the public domain and accessable to all if you know where to look.

Here is a link to railway group standards online, relating to this module
the module you will want is TW (for train working) and the section is section 4 "external train lights"
http://www.rgsonline.co.uk/Rule_Book/Rule Book Modules/TW - Train Working/GERT8000-TW1 Iss 8.pdf

There are many other modules some which may interest you such as those that deal with faults of the light, giving you permission to use the day beam at night etc. others telling you when to put on your hazard lights.

It took about seven weeks to cover the whole rulebook in a classroom so you might just want take my word for it, unless this really interests you.

hope this helps.

ASG

2 Jan 2010
Cheshire
Best answers
Many thanks for the reply Dave
I will certainly have a look at the link, but probably won't read it all if it's as long as you say.

Andrew

hagen

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Kongsberg, Norway
Best answers