Lighting in buildings

Dinas Bryn

Registered
13 Mar 2010
Best answers
Evening all, I have been putting lots of lights in my railway and I saw somewere saying to seal them in sealant. i have used led's wired to choc blocks covered the + with tape and the - in a sleeve, can I use any sealant to cover the block? Les

jimmielx

45mm gauge track - approx 16mm scale (1:19)
24 Oct 2009
Hastings, UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I did read recently on the forum a warning about using silicon sealant near pcbs or copper wire as it erodes them. I don't have experience of this myself, but thought it worth mentioning.
Lots of buildings are remarkably watertight, so if the connectors are well off the ground and there is no reasonable way for the water to get in (including a drip running down a cable for example) then you may not need further waterproofing on connectors to low voltage lighting.

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
They do have "free delivery on everything" campaigns from time to time.

Having used Maplin for 30+ years, I used to wait until I had enough on the shopping list to get free delivery. Now we have a Maplin shop a couple of miles away, it's nice and convenient.

jimmielx

45mm gauge track - approx 16mm scale (1:19)
24 Oct 2009
Hastings, UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
ROSS said:
The warning ( I gave) was concerning copper in PCB's..receivers, servos etc. Most cable for lighting today is steel stranded- particularly for low voltage lighting such as leds or bulbs.

Thanks for the claification Ross, I've got it now....!:clap:

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I use the hot glue gun for alot of my work on rolling stock. Particularly when placing passengers in cars. I would imagine that it would work on electrical connections, and will come off easier and cleaner than silicone, especially when cold.