Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
its easy to do-
as mentioned if you cant hear
you dont know how long is been on or if it has lighted

besides-its exciting:banghead:

ive actually seen a flare out like that when another lighted engine passed one not yet lighted but with the fuel on-that really is an eye opener

odd looking engine that sachs -never seen the up and down walscherts or whatever it is

L.N.R. said:
Hi All!
I think I should point out that the owner concerned, has assembled more Aster kit locos, and others, than I care to think about, and owns and has owned an enormous range of live steam engines, and I would regard as highly experienced. The loco had just arrived from overseas, with I think a day to spare, and that was the first light-up. The hall has very high ambient noise levels, making it very difficult to hear how much the gas is on, or even if it is on at all. Quite a few of us have done the same thing, which as most will know, looks worse than it often is.
Grant.

Yes I have certainly done it too. Had a similar incient last Saturday at minus 5 degrees C on first lightling. The different ambient temperatures seem to make things work differently. I don't see a major issue with it as long as you don't have important body parts in the flame and are prepared to turn the gas down immediately.

E

Elmtree Line

I've never had that happen.

Put the flame in place then turn on gas, its not that hard.

steveciambrone

trains, boats, planes
3 Nov 2009
Best answers
L.N.R. said:
Hi All!
I think I should point out that the owner concerned, has assembled more Aster kit locos, and others, than I care to think about, and owns and has owned an enormous range of live steam engines, and I would regard as highly experienced. The loco had just arrived from overseas, with I think a day to spare, and that was the first light-up. The hall has very high ambient noise levels, making it very difficult to hear how much the gas is on, or even if it is on at all. Quite a few of us have done the same thing, which as most will know, looks worse than it often is.
Grant.

I only posted this because it was caught on tape. I have certainly have had my share of flare-ups.

Steve

mike bickford

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Harden Murrumburrah NSW Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Steve, thanks for posting the link to this video. Interesting lightup, I am sure we have all done that at least once. During the video, at 1:42 you can see Corgi watching the loco (and cameraman) and there is myself at the end - glasses and beard, green vest - talking to Tim Boulton of Tootle engineering.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Wish I had a quid for every blow out like that I have seen or been involved with. At Ridgmont (16mm Beds Group) we used to insist that Locys were lighted up in the middle of the layout on a tray, thus this could never happen with a passing locy. The once the fire is going well or steam is up, transfer to the layout. Simples.

However this is probably one of the problems of using the pico type lighters, they do not always fire up the gas on the first Spark. But fun to see this.
JonD