LI ION PACKS SELF BUILD

paul delany

Registered
30 Mar 2018
Dublin Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
HI folks can anyone here advise me on making my own LI ION battery packs please,my main lack of knowledge is how to know where to attach the 4 wires which hook up to a smart charger1586850778513.png

Last edited:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
By the time you have bought tagged-cells, balance leads, protection boards, suitably large heatshrink, etc. it may not be worth your while, in cost and time?

But:

Protection boards:

Balance leads:

Scroll-down a little..

The 'See more..' link form the protection boards:

PhilP.

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
What do you want of them cells?
Burn a 10.000w heater with it or run a 380v engine with them?
Or a 1.2v 0.2a electromotor......
(to determine the c rate of the cell's!)
Some specs on the use would be nice.
With you charger you are half way there.(balance charge!!!!good!)

How many V you requiere? how many amp you require? what cells do you have(or in mind to buy?)
I can put yoy on a learning curve or a tailored answer, for a answer i need answers!

With best regards, Igor

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
The other thing to be considered is what type of system inside a Loco will it be powering, Deltang, Fosworks, Crest, DCC or Analogue, Sound system all will have differing Max Volts together with Amp requirements.

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
@ Dunnyrail,
True to that, but you can always put a voltige regulator in between.
So you can make use of one pack for several locos or make several of the same packs.
It all depends on what you want, there are more solutions than possibilities o_O:).
You give me a lot of homework btw with all those remote controles.

With best regards.

paul delany

Registered
30 Mar 2018
Dublin Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
What do you want of them cells?
Burn a 10.000w heater with it or run a 380v engine with them?
Or a 1.2v 0.2a electromotor......
(to determine the c rate of the cell's!)
Some specs on the use would be nice.
With you charger you are half way there.(balance charge!!!!good!)

How many V you requiere? how many amp you require? what cells do you have(or in mind to buy?)
I can put yoy on a learning curve or a tailored answer, for a answer i need answers!

With best regards, Igor
hello igor i want to build a 4 cell pack do battery control with RC a g scale loco

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
@ Dunnyrail,
True to that, but you can always put a voltige regulator in between.
So you can make use of one pack for several locos or make several of the same packs.
It all depends on what you want, there are more solutions than possibilities o_O:).
You give me a lot of homework btw with all those remote controles.

With best regards.
I have done quite a few battery conversions now, look at some of my posts in the Battery thread.

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
I will sure do, there is a lot to learn.

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
@ Paul,
I can only help you with building the cell pack not with the rc cous i dont have the knowledge yet.
For rc i ordered for myself from aliexpress a 2.4gh transmitter and receiver.
As far for your cell packs i think you want 4 cells in series? so you want 16v?
Or 2 cells in parallel and both in series to get 8v max?
How much volt do you want to have? or how much does your rc and engine needs.
For easy, comfortable and safe use you can/must order a bms board.
Your charging wil be so much easier also with this:

the links i put in this post are for 3 cells in series(3s) to get 12v.
Those boards are also available in 2s 4s up to ? 96v

With best regards.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I agree with the first sentence in Phil's post.

Also if you want to build your own packs, now you need batteries with solder tabs on them, and your pack won't be quite as compact and good looking. (of course you could buy the stainless steel strips and a spot welder! )

Greg

Michael

Registered
26 Jan 2010
Best answers
Country flag
I agree with the first sentence in Phil's post.

Also if you want to build your own packs, now you need batteries with solder tabs on them, and your pack won't be quite as compact and good looking. (of course you could buy the stainless steel strips and a spot welder! )

Greg

I disagree with the first sentance of Phil's post. Very negative, like saying why bother to scratch build something if you can buy it off the shelf.

Yes, you need to buy cells with solder tags and a protection board but it can done even if your soldering is as bad as mine :)

bsttery_pack.jpg

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I agree with this sentence: (maybe you have interpreted it differently)

By the time you have bought tagged-cells, balance leads, protection boards, suitably large heatshrink, etc. it may not be worth your while, in cost and time?

It is not negative, but is it worth your time and money (that is what it says)... In my case I prefer to work on the trains, build stuff that is intriguing, and a battery pack is just a commodity to me.

I do not see where the term VERY NEGATIVE comes from that sentence, if I was a novice I would interpret it as data, from a person clearly more experienced with me. Since he also kindly provided THREE links to information on building the battery pack, I think you are way too harsh with VERY NEGATIVE.

Very negative to me would be "you are a fool to try"

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Steady on folks.
TBH I'd be a bit worried about accidently shorting something out during the build. Lots of heat wires and solder everywhere.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Steady on folks.
TBH I'd be a bit worried about accidently shorting something out during the build. Lots of heat wires and solder everywhere.

That is more the worry..

The build is not particularly difficult. - You DO need to make sure you get (and keep) the wiring information for the boards. - I have two versions of the same board, but they are not laid-out, or labelled in the same way, so would be easy to make a mistake.

If you work from one end of the string of cells to the other, then there is less likely to be a problem:
You need to keep the heat away from the positive ends of the cells, as it is easy to melt the covering on the cell, exposing the negative 'can'.
The large, square pads you wire to, seem to have a mind of their-own when you solder to them. - They can move around, on the board.
Large enough heatshrink (to enclose the whole assembly) is a little eye-watering, cost-wise, in small quantities.
You need to think about how 'happy' these cells are to supply a considerable amount of current, and size the connecting cables accordingly. - Possibly using silicon insulated?

PhilP.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Good point, many of the cells available can be discharged at very high rates. This might sound great on the surface, but the capability to discharge at 20C (20 times the amp hour rate) can lead to some spectacular results if a short occurs.

While the basics are simple, there are other characteristics that can lead to problems if you don't know the finer points.

Greg