LGB Year Model

RkyGriz

Registered
13 Feb 2019
Silver Springs, Nevada
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all. I am new to LGB locomotives and I'm wondering how to tell how old my "new" LGB 2-6-0 Mogul #23191 is. I bought it on Ebay about a week ago for $441.68(includes 28.68 shipping Fedex Ground),and even though it's supposed to be "New," I get the impression that it's an older model. Does anyone know how long ago this locomotive was made? I've done internet searches and come up with very little information on this loco.
Just curious. It's going to be arriving tomorrow, and I'd like to know as much about it as possible before I run it for the first time. Lubricating it with myfavorite Labelle products is first on the agenda for it. Any suggestions or advice on how I should go about lubricating it?
Thanks in advance !
Andrew

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all. I am new to LGB locomotives and I'm wondering how to tell how old my "new" LGB 2-6-0 Mogul #23191 is. I bought it on Ebay about a week ago for $441.68(includes 28.68 shipping Fedex Ground),and even though it's supposed to be "New," I get the impression that it's an older model. Does anyone know how long ago this locomotive was made? I've done internet searches and come up with very little information on this loco.
Just curious. It's going to be arriving tomorrow, and I'd like to know as much about it as possible before I run it for the first time. Lubricating it with myfavorite Labelle products is first on the agenda for it. Any suggestions or advice on how I should go about lubricating it?
Thanks in advance !
Andrew
Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you'll get all the information you need here!

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Is there a round sticker with a 6 figure number on the underside?

From memory the first and last numbers indicate the year of manufacture....

RkyGriz

Registered
13 Feb 2019
Silver Springs, Nevada
Best answers
Country flag
The loco arrived today. The sticker says 001020. My guess is that it was made in February of the year 2000. Did I get it right?
Thanks for the help Greg!

RkyGriz

Registered
13 Feb 2019
Silver Springs, Nevada
Best answers
Country flag
Yup. I know that some Hartland and Lionel (especially the older ones) often have the dates on the bottom plate of the locos. It's really nice to know how long these trains have been around!
Later.
Andrew

RkyGriz

Registered
13 Feb 2019
Silver Springs, Nevada
Best answers
Country flag
Hi everyone! I just thought that I'd sahre a link to a video that I just made of this baby sitting on my desk and smoking away.
Enjoy!
Andrew

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Dates moulded in the base plate may well be the date of the mold. The loco may have been made somewhat later.

Reactions: 1 user

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
LGB does have a mold date, but the gold sticker with 6 digits is when the engine/car product was run. I have seen some 'identical' cars with slightly different colors, and the gold sticker did have a different date.

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
You might also check the onlytrains.com website. They have many LGB manuals including the 23191 available as downloadable .pdf files.

Phil S.

RkyGriz

Registered
13 Feb 2019
Silver Springs, Nevada
Best answers
Country flag
I removed the center cap from the smoke stack,put 30 drops of smoke fluid in the smoke generator, and set the power to 3/4 power. I believe that LGB uses Seuthe smoke generators. I also have a USA Trains caboose and a Hartland 4-4-0 equipped with Seuthe 7 smoke generators,and they also smoke like that under the same conditions. I've considered switching the smoke generators in my Bachmann 4-6-0's ,out and exchanging them for the Seuthe 7,but that would be a very pricey project!
Andrew

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
How was it pulsing on the smoke when it was stationary?
I have a couple of locos that do that Greg. I guess that an air lock forms in the generator giving a popping effect. Can look really good at times but it doesn't last long - the level of the oil I expect.

RkyGriz

Registered
13 Feb 2019
Silver Springs, Nevada
Best answers
Country flag
Exactly. The higher the fluid level,the more smoke produced. Blows the Bachmann smoke generator away for sheer volume. The Suethe's even blow smoke rings from time to time. Which I think is cool.

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
Too much fluid in a Seuthe smoker & it will not smoke at all as it will not get hot enough.

Reactions: 1 user
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
OK, so I've seen this, you are basically overloading it with fluid, and really submerging the element.

It will smoke a little, and then make a big bubble that bursts and then smoke a lot, and then repeat the cycle.

Not really harming anything, but it's what explains the varying smoke output.

When you do this on Bachmann units instead of making a lot of smoke, they usually spit.

As Mike says, more fluid and it may not smoke at all.

Actually visually, what you have is kind of a nice balance, it is varying a bit.

Greg