LGB vs USA Reefers

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
How do the two brands compare in size to one another ?

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Interesting question Dan

Are you talking standard or narrow gauge?
Standard Gauge:
The USAT 'Ultimate' (and their 'ordinary models) are supposed to be 1:29 scale and most of the LGB box cars are 1:22.5 (allowing for the LGB rubber ruler of course).
I have run both in a rake and they look okay as, in real-life, different makes of reefers/box cars had a slight difference in height any way. Having said that the LGB 40ft cars look best with 50ft (or larger) USAT ones.
Narrow Gauge:
USAT has the old "American' range at 1:24 and LGB older style ones seem to be a similar scale as they are pretty close in dimensions.

All in all, whilst there is a discrepancy in scale and sizing, it does look okay, depending on what the prototype that the cars are modelled on...... oh yes....and you squint your eyes....

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I was referring to the woodside reefers. Both USAT and LGB seem to make their own version. I like the 40' refrigerated and 40' box cars. So what you are saying is that the non-ultimate series is 1:24, in the USAT line up. While the LGB 40' reefers may be 1:22.5. Not much of a difference there unless LGB's rubber rule got stretched or shrunk a bit.

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
USAT do have 'modern' standard gauge outline stock which is not in the 'ultimate' range but that is supposed to be 1:29 anyway.

I just matched up a couple of USAT, Aristo and LGB woodside box cars and there is hardly any difference at all.

When I started out in the G Scale world, I looked at USAT woodside stock and also at LGB equivalents and thought that one had copied the other......... as the construction, thickness of plastic etc seemed very nearly identical.
In fact Charles Ro so admired LGB that when he started to create his range of 'American' 1:24 stock he did copy the LGB variants.
LGB 'old' style reefers and boxcars are also really 1:24 scale so they fit really well with each USAT....as do Aristo's ex-Delton molded 1:24 woodside rolling stock.

1:25.5 and 1:24 scales look perfectly fine together eg LGB Mogul with USAT 'american' box car etc.

Reactions: 1 user

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Great, thanks for the expanded review.

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
:) My wife's Beer Train has LGB, USAT, and Bachmann woodside reefers in it........ it all looks just fine.

That last car is a steel 50' Aristo car that is now on my surplus list.... doesn't really fit in, does it.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
From what IO can see they look good together. It may be the angle the picture was taken from, but car #3 looks a bit higher than the first two cars.

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Madman said:
From what IO can see they look good together. It may be the angle the picture was taken from, but car #3 looks a bit higher than the first two cars.

:D Bumpy track... Bachmann, Bachmann, USAT, LGB, USAT, Aristo.

Unbumpy track.

Now, no greenery in the way.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks. My pea brain had neglected to remember to blow up the pictures on my screen. Surprising that the Bachmann cars are slightly lower than the rest. True, as you mentioned earlier, that freight cars came in all sizes, so pretty much anything looks good together.