LGB Track Cleaner No 50040 finally died - There is a solution at hand.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
My preferred Track Cleaner has for many years been the good old faithful LGB 50050. I bought this one many years ago and it has given good service over the years. But all that Rail Cleaning finally took its toll so I bought a new one.

f9bde0be3e344481a27423b0cb6e809a.jpg

You can see the action it has had and how pretty much useless it is now. However the Box is still OK and these are a great item to hold in the big fat podgy mit. Now I have been moaning over the years at the lack of LGB providing a replacement pad for the beastie. Well earlier this year I got hold of a full Massoth Catalogue at a shop in the Princess Risboroug area. I finally managed to track down the replacement Massoth 8314301 Cleaning Pad at the G Scale Convention Nottingham yesterday. Well I bought two actually.

I cleaned off the old Pad (well what remained of it) to be left with a nice area to glue the new one on.

69d209cda03d440e9bcf9f9995d127ce.jpg

Glued the new one on with UHU and this is the result, hopefully ready for another decade or so of cleaning duties.

d3a5ea9734964d5ca0f4b3aa4d3d6de5.jpg

There have been a few people asking about cleaning in the site recently. I cannot recommend the LGB 50040 too highly.
JonD

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
There have been a few people asking about cleaning in the site recently. I cannot recommend the LGB 50040 too highly.
JonD

I must say that I prefer mine to have wheels on it :happy: even though it is in the process of needing a new chip. :crying:

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Oh I have one of those (LGB Loco Track Cleaner) as well, but I only use it to get to the bits of line that the Block has problems reaching. I also think that it is not as effective as using the elbow grease required for the LGB 50040.

I reiterate that this is my preferred cleaner that I have had many years of experience with. In fact I think that I bought the old one you see in these pictures back in 1986 or so.
JonD

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
OOoo I have four of those that I've worn out over the years I shall have to get some replacement pads. Are they the same material as the original?

Martino

Photography, The GWR, Aviation, Travel, Cars.
24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
That's useful information Dennis, thanks.

I will try and track some down here - south of the 49th. I found their website, which has got be one of the most unhelpful websites I've ever seen! ;-)

Apparently some guy sells it on ebay (now there's a surprise).

Thanks again

Spule 4

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Les États-Unis
Best answers
I have used the little "skate" pads with good luck. Put it in one of my many 4021s, that way I can load a brick in it and give it a few passes with a Stainz. Clean track!

stevelewis

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Buckley NR MOLD NORTH WALES
Best answers
My Preferred track cleaner is a block of wood and a sheet of wet & dry ( Emery paper)!

Always has been and it works,

Cant be doin with those track cleaning locos, seem to break down a lot!!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seriously though at least when I clean my track by hand I get to see what it is like close up and can remedy any problems there ans then!

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
dennisb said:
The material that LGB uses is called Cratex. I apologize if I have spelled this incorrectly. It is a commercial material that is used in polishing metal. Jewelers use it and it can also be found at auto body shops. I live in Canada, so I don't know if this is readily available in Europe. They buy it in sheets and is rather inexpensive.
Regards, Dennis.

I visited their website, and tried to get pricing information, but I wasn't able to do so. I sent an email to them, hoping for a reply. Lets see what happens. I'll check out Ebay as suggested also

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
minimans said:
OOoo I have four of those that I've worn out over the years I shall have to get some replacement pads. Are they the same material as the original?

I cannot vouch for it being exactly the same, however I have a brand new LGB one in the maintenance set (I had forgotten about it as it was still in the box in the workshop) and on comparison the Maassoth and LGB both look to be identical, even to the thickness of the pad when new. So I would say buy with confidence.

In the past I have monkeyed about with varying cleaning pads, GRS sell one that is very similar to the Squires blocks which are ref AB0010/20/30 and 40. They are varying grits but not as big as the LGB one. I also find that they cause scoring (yes even the finest grit does) which does not help in keeping the track clean.

I just went outside to use the new Massoth one. I also did a bit of track with my other LGB one. I can see no difference between the two pads so I suspect that Massoth is sourcing the same stuff as LGB did.

Hope this helps,
JonD

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Well, I received a response from Cratex. Guess who they told me to contact.......Walthers, in Milwaukee:timeout:
Maybe I should not have mentioned anything about our hobby:angry: I just figured it would steer them in the right direction:thinking:

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
I just went outside to use the new Massoth one. I also did a bit of track with my other LGB one. I can see no difference between the two pads so I suspect that Massoth is sourcing the same stuff as LGB did.

Probably the same order. Massoth seem to supply a lot of LGB besides electronics. Maybe we should get Massoth to purchase Putins LGB

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Go for it Madman. We need to buy a blinking great sheet for about ten quid/bucks and distribute it amongst ourselves.

Dave Hub

everyting
26 Oct 2009
west mids
Best answers
I know this is old ground, but I looked up the cratex company and they make rubberised abrasive products, used for clean ing metal.

as cratex is a brand name I searched the term "rubberised abrasive products" and found this:
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=getProduct&R=0692817&cm_vc=av_uk

it states its non marking, and suitable for brass. has any one tried one for track cleaning? If not I was thinking of being a guinea pig, opinions on if its a good idea also welcome.

Dave Hub

everyting
26 Oct 2009
west mids
Best answers
Ok, I decided to get one of these cleaning block that are designed for the metal trade. They are smaller than the LGB track rubber, also made of a slightly softer material. It reminds me of a large pencil eraser.
I used the 240 grit one.

It is long enough that it will span both rails at the same time. I think it'll wear out quicker than the LGB one but it does give excellent results. I tested it on a 1ft section of LGB brass track that has been sat outside for over 12 months and not been cleaned in all that time.

I found very little pressure was needed to bring the rail head to a nice shine. (about as much as using a pencil eraser. Whilst the pack says it's a gentle abrasive for the metal finishing industry. there were no major visable scratches in the brass, (just look at the close up. photo)

I don't think it'll replace the LGB block as it will wear out quickly but it is very good for spot cleans, doing old pieces of track that have not been done for a long time. Also it has good well defined edges so will be good to clean track edges and wheels.

before
c5a980275cc4468cbce16aa03380d3c2.jpg

After
ceecc43924994212b820257a532a7149.jpg

Close up
9df35d01c1c6491e8f57de071cd6f15f.jpg

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Yes we have tried those too, but after many scuffed forfinger and knucle joints decided to give stop using them. The LGB one is also much nicer to hold, particularly for a friend of mine who suffers bad arthiritus in his hands.
JonD

themole

tramways
25 Oct 2009
In a burrow.
Best answers
Country flag
I use the fine grade sponge blocks, often can be bought for £1-£2 for ten from model engineering shows;- last a good 5years plus. :clap: Alyn

themole

tramways
25 Oct 2009
In a burrow.
Best answers
Country flag
I use the fine grade sponge blocks, often can be bought for £1-£2 for ten from model engineering shows;- last a good 5years plus. :clap: Alyn

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
themole said:

:clap: Yes they work a treat - a touch is all you need!