LGB Starter Set Passenger Car Alteration

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
In a past post, like way back, someone posted the merits of fixing LGB two axle rolling stock axles in a rigid position. After some issues with my two axle 300 mm LGB rolling stock, I decided to try it. Here's what I came up with. I ripped a pice of hardwood down so that it would fit above the axle. I inserted screws through the wood and into the holes already in the coupler stems. Next I drilled a 1/16" hole through the wood and into the coupler stem. Then I inserted a piece of 1/16" diameter brass rod. In the second photo you can see the brass rod a bit more clearly. So far, after a few hours of running, I have had no issues anywhere on the railway.

IMG_5413.jpg IMG_5414.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
In a past post, like way back, someone posted the merits of fixing LGB two axle rolling stock axles in a rigid position. After some issues with my two axle 300 mm LGB rolling stock, I decided to try it. Here's what I came up with. I ripped a pice of hardwood down so that it would fit above the axle. I inserted screws through the wood and into the holes already in the coupler stems. Next I drilled a 1/16" hole through the wood and into the coupler stem. Then I inserted a piece of 1/16" diameter brass rod. In the second photo you can see the brass rod a bit more clearly. So far, after a few hours of running, I have had no issues anywhere on the railway.

View attachment 227072 View attachment 227073

Yes they do 'crab' when coing off a curve on to a straight section. Just an observation, but I don't think you needed to add the brass rod.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Yes they do 'crab' when coing off a curve on to a straight section. Just an observation, but I don't think you needed to add the brass rod.

If I hadn't inserted the brass rod, the screws alone would not be able to hold the axles straight. They would have loosened over not too long a time. It's interesting to note that I have Bachmann two axle cars, like their cabooses, that I have less trouble with than the LGB cars with their swiveling bogies.

Riograndad

Model Railroading, boats and oil painting,
6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
If I hadn't inserted the brass rod, the screws alone would not be able to hold the axles straight. They would have loosened over not too long a time. It's interesting to note that I have Bachmann two axle cars, like their cabooses, that I have less trouble with than the LGB cars with their swiveling bogies.
I agree Dan,bachmann 4 wheelers give less trouble with the solid wheelbase,I have a couple of starter set cars that i never use,snaking etc,normally put a 4 axle car on the end and that seems to help,to be honest never thought of making them with a fixed wheelbase,food for thought.

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag

I wonder if they could be made to self centre - like the B'mann knuckle couplings?

James Day

Guano Corner Rly - Runs weekly - Guano permitting
6 May 2012
Warwickshire
Best answers
Country flag
Dan,

What was the issue that persuaded you to do this?

Also what radius are you running them on?

You may have seen me moaning in other topics about issues caused by rigid axle long wheelbase stock in the Bachmann Thomas series, particularly the Emily/Xmas coach, so I am intrigued!

James

a98087

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Wiltshire
Best answers
Country flag
The method I use for lgb 4 wheel coaches, is to buy the lgb shortie USA starter set coachs, and then swap the bogie chassis with the 4 wheel one.

I then reassemble the USA coach with a 4 wheel chassis and stick it back on eBay, I will post a pictures when I find some

Dan

a98087

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Wiltshire
Best answers
Country flag
The Laverstock Garden Bahn

Here's the link, it's really easy a it's 4 screws, to remove the body, and then unclip and choose what style balcony to use, so long as you only pay about £30 for the donor coach, you can get most of that back when you eBay the resulting coach

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Dan,

What was the issue that persuaded you to do this?

Also what radius are you running them on?

You may have seen me moaning in other topics about issues caused by rigid axle long wheelbase stock in the Bachmann Thomas series, particularly the Emily/Xmas coach, so I am intrigued!

James

My tightest radius is R2. The issue I was having with the coaches and freight cars, as they came from the factory, had mostly to do with shunting. Although I had some derailments on less than perfectly level track. The 335 mm long coaches and wagons do not like my railway at all. The wheelbase is just too long and if there happens to be some track that may have a dip in it, these pieces of rolling stock will derail instantly.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
The method I use for lgb 4 wheel coaches, is to buy the lgb shortie USA starter set coachs, and then swap the bogie chassis with the 4 wheel one.

I then reassemble the USA coach with a 4 wheel chassis and stick it back on eBay, I will post a pictures when I find some

Dan

I've done that with some of my stock as the four axle frames are a perfect match for the two axle starter coaches.