LGB Stainz Loco sound

ASG

Trains, Old Motorbikes, Beekeeping
2 Jan 2010
Cheshire
Best answers
I've seen a few on these LGB Stainz loco for sale and I fancy one as a sort of test loco while I'm building my track to test for clearances.
I a bit confused as some of the ones for sale come with sound and some don't and some have different model number 20212 etc.

My question is do they come with sound as standard? and are there several different model types?

Andrew

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
I think that is a whole huge topic! They have been produced for many many years so I am sure some have sound and some don't assuming your talking 2nd hand... Over to the Stainz experts!

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
ASG said:
My question is do they come with sound as standard? and are there several different model types?
Andrew

In answer to the first part, relatively few. There at least two different sound systems, one of which is rather poor.
There are many model types of the Stainz dating right back to the start of LGB production in 1968.

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
has anyone had succes with the tsunami systems in a stainz-as stainz require pretty low voltage ?

Andrew

Garden Railways in all scales
26 Oct 2009
Bomaderry, NSW, Australia
Best answers
I have 3 Stainz of different vintage. The one that had sound was known as the "sandpaper". That what it sounds like. Someone rubbing timber with sandpaper. It works, its simple and I intend to keep it that way.
My older Stainz has "Mylocosound" card. http://www.mylocosound.com/pages/mylocosoundhome.html Please note that I am in no way involved with this company, just a user who is happy with the product.
Plenty of adjustable volume. Chuff can be easily adjusted along with whistle pitch. Also cheap to buy.
I placed a speaker under the roof of the cabin, the soundcard lays on the floor, the 9volt battery stands beside it. Wires are pushed into the 2 holes in the back of the cabin intended for a plug for carriage lights. It works great!
When I first joined a Garden Railway Club http://www.trainweb.org/lgbofozclub/index.html (Check out this site as the photos are updated monthly) I asked about sound, I was told that sound is great, but it is nice to be able to turn it off when you want. Simply pull one of the wires out of the holes!

Regards from Andrew

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
i really wouldnt use a stanzes to check for clearansces, its not the largest loco...

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
paul do you have a link for peyker
the stainz bug has hit me-ireally want an uber stainz for analog 

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Like Mike says watch the clearances. We have all done it. Start with a Stainz and then get something longer. If possible I would invite somebody round with the longest loco you would think you would want to run. The over hang from the centre of long coaches can be quite large especially on tight curves.R1s. I would suggest 31/2" on R1s from the centre of the track to the inside

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
If it's overhang you need to check get a mate round with the railbus. As you can see here it sticks waaaay out. :D

ac867e1b659e48ee8db911586a6ec969.jpg