LGB Spark Arrestor

RkyGriz

Registered
13 Feb 2019
Silver Springs, Nevada
Best answers
Country flag
I'm a little excited right now.I found the LGB Ridgeway Spark Arrestor/Bear Trap assembly,without the stack attachment,or the exhaust hose on Train_Li for $19.95.

It's definitely a hard to find piece.

I could only find the attachment pieces, and exhaust hose, on Ebay.
The cost was a little pricey at $41.99,with free shipping,but I bought it anyway so I could complete my LGB #23191 Mogul's snowplow assembly.

I also went ahead and added another $21.99 to the total by purchasing the LGB factory chain set, on Ebay, to complete the conversion.

We received our stimulus check, so the wife gave me $100.00, and said to knock myself out and get some "train stuff". So, I decided to get what I've been wanting for the Mogul for a long time.
Ridgeway.jpgStack Attachment.jpgChain Set.jpg
I'll also be purchasing the LGB #65001 American Steam Module sooner or later.

To that end,I added the LGB 65012 sound trigger unit to my Trail_li order as it was only $16.99,an that is a pretty good price for it.
Trail-Li's shipping cost was very reasonable at $9.98 for priority mail shipping. And they said that they expect to ship my order on Thursday of this week!

The #65001 sound module will have to wait for a few more weeks until I can sort out my LOA from work and see if I qualify for unemployment insurance while I'm off trying to avoid the Covid-19 virus. We'll see.
One question is if it's better to get a #65001 unit with either a plug-in volume control knob, or one with the built in control knob. I came across one with the plug in control version on Ebay last night, and I was sorely tempted to spend the extra money on it as it was new, and only $140.00 plus $18.00 shipping and tax, but I wanted to think about it,so I went to bed and, woke up this morning with the intention of going ahead and buying the unit, but it was already sold! Dang!

I was thinking that it may be better to find one like that when I finally decide to buy one due to mounting considerations in the tender, and easy access to the control knob. Also, with that type of volume control knob, I believe that the sound unit can thusly be mounted laying face down on the tender bed, giving better sound by using the speaker mount for the LGB sound card.
And , yes, I know the unit can be disassembled, and installed in a various number of ways, I just like the idea of installing it in its' factory built configuration ,if possible

What you guys think?
Later!
Andrew

Last edited:

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Andrew,
I'd consider a Massoth XLS or XLS On-board sound decoder for you mogul rather than the LGB sound module even though it's a bit more money (approx. $230 from All About LGB). That is if you're running DCC. It can be ordered with the appropriate sounds already loaded and includes the loudspeaker for your particular installation. I'm not familiar with LGB moguls but it may even be pretty much "plug and play".

Edit added: I just looked up your LGB model No. 23191. It came with an LGB On-board decoder from the factory so the Massoth XLS On-board sound decoder should be a direct replacement. The Massoth Volume Control Board, an additional $11, plugs right in to the sound decoder board, no soldering necessary.

Last edited:

RkyGriz

Registered
13 Feb 2019
Silver Springs, Nevada
Best answers
Country flag
Hi,Phil. Thank you for your kind suggestion.
I do not run my G Scale trains on DCC. I only have three locomotives in my entire collection of model trains with DCC installed in them. One is a Bachmann On30 4-6-0 that came with factory installed DCC to which I added a MRC Loco Genie with Heavy Steam Sounds DCC system that included a remote. It was basically plug and play. And it only cost me less than $38.00 brand new from trainsetsonly.com.
The other two are a Piko 0-6-0 Camelback locomotive, and a Piko 0-6-0 switcher. Both have the Soundtraxx/ Piko #36220 sound system installed in them. They can go either DCC or analog.
The LGB unit, while not ideal, is far cheaper ,and easier to install, inside the tender of my mogul.
I really don't want to mess with DCC for my G Scale trains. Way to expensive, and complicated for my needs.
I currently own 15 G Scale locomotives of various types,and manufacturers. To even try to scratch the surface by installing DCC systems in even the ones that don't have some sort of basic sound systems already installed in them from the factory,would be a monstrously expensive undertaking,to say the least.
I've seen a demo of the sounds produced by the LGB #65001, and,while it's not even close in sound quality to the Soundtraxx sound systems installed in my 2 Piko locomotives, or the Phoenix Big Sound 96/97 sound card that came with my Bachmann Spectrum 4-4-0, it's good enough for my needs.
Thank you for the kind suggestion, but unless I win Power Ball, I'm just going to stick with the LGB #65001.
Thanks again!
Andrew

RkyGriz

Registered
13 Feb 2019
Silver Springs, Nevada
Best answers
Country flag
Good news!
The good people at Train_Li were as god as their word, as the spark arrestor , and sound LGB #65012 sound trigger, arrived today.
And this thing is huge!
The LGB chain set also showed up, as well. It's abit bigger, and more heavy duty, than the chain set that I made for the snowplow installation.
Now I'm only waiting on the lower part of the assembly to show up, so I can install everything on the mogul at the same time.
A video of the completed assembly will follow as son as I receive the other parts, and complete the final assembly.

Such fun!

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
"
I really don't want to mess with DCC for my G Scale trains. Way to expensive, and complicated for my needs.
I currently own 15 G Scale locomotives of various types,and manufacturers. To even try to scratch the surface by installing DCC systems in even the ones that don't have some sort of basic sound systems already installed in them from the factory,would be a monstrously expensive undertaking,to say the least. "

Hmm... with 15 locos, a $350 dcc system does not seem all that expensive.... yes adding decoders to the ones without could be $160 a loco for top of the line sound, but you could do it for less...

It's certainly less expensive than the money you have spent on locos, and you have 3 with sound systems already.

Do them a little at a time...

Greg

RkyGriz

Registered
13 Feb 2019
Silver Springs, Nevada
Best answers
Country flag
Hi,Greg.
I already thought about that.
Perhaps you're right.
Maybe I could sell off a bit of my collection, and then turn the proceeds around to put DCC ,and sound units in the remaining locos.
I've pretty much decided to get the LGB #65001 sound unit for my LGB Mogul,but , who knows. Maybe when I get back to my job,I'll change my mind and take to Train_li in Reno for a complete upgrade to it.
More and more ,as I think about it, that seems to be the best idea. I'll have to call,or email them and see what that would cost.
For right now, I'm happy lust to have the complete Bear Trap assembly for my Mogul.
I'm also thinking about not buying any more rolling stock, accessories, or other non-essential parts, and using the money to upgrade my existing stock of locomoatives(the ones that I decide to keep,that is!).
In other words, any POla/LGB buildings,etc, will have to wait!
I think that would be the best idea. I'll probably want to sell some of my Bachmann 10 wheelers to buy a brand new Bachmann 4-6-0 with the Rio Grande logo and DCC plug-n-play options.
A lot depends upon the final pricing of the new 10 wheeler.
We'll see.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
There's new stuff on the DCC market all the time, and the equipment is getting better and less expensive day by day. Just something to consider. Initially I had my layout switchable between DC and DCC, just a big toggle switch for the power. Worked fine although, I love sound and remote control and multiple locos so much, I soon just ran the DCC locos.... just too much fun...

Just presenting options for you, after all the entire point is having fun.

Regards, Greg

RkyGriz

Registered
13 Feb 2019
Silver Springs, Nevada
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you, Greg.
Just out of curiosity, what type of DCC controller do you recommend? My 2 Piko locomotives both have the Piko #36220 DCC sound system installed in them. I currently use track magnets for sounding the whistle and bell on both.
I'm also running On30 scale trains now .One of which is a Bachmann 4-6-0. It has a DCC sound system that I bought, and installed in it. It's an MRC Loco Genie with heavy steam sounds ,and IR remote control.
The sound is decent, but the chuff sounds are not properly synchronized,and I can't get the remote to change them.
The tech at MRC suggested that I buy the MRC Tech 6 DCC control system to remedy this.
According to the product description,it only controls up to On30 scale locomotives. It would be nice to be able to purchase something that I could possibly use on both the On30 and G scale trains.
If there is such a thing...
It also needs to work with my Bridgewerks 3amp power supply, as well as the Bachmann standard power supply that I'm using for the On30 scale trains.
MRC says that the Bridgewerks power supply, being DC and 3 amps, will burn out the MRC Loco Genie as that DCC system is designed to only work with power supplies of 1 amp,and 15 volts, maximum.
Please keep in mind that I'm on a budget at the moment while I wait to return to my job,or start receiving unemployment(yuck!) . My doctor still doesn't know how long that will be, due to the ever changing Covid-19 situation.
Thanks again!
Andrew

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Andrew, there are many ways to go on DCC, there are many systems, some expandable, some not.

What I use is based on my needs, which in the DCC spectrum is pretty extreme.

What I recommended on another thread is really inexpensive, but gives you a top of the line system in terms of capability.

MRC unfortunately is one of the brands I would never recommend. Did you read the other thread on the inexpensive, compact system? Gives you 5 amps, and can be expanded to more.

G scale DCC voltage should be pretty close to 24 volts to be able to run everything. Most stuff runs on lower voltage like 18 to 20, but there are some locos that just crawl at 18 volts.

Read the other thread, and also take a look at this: Portable DCC System go to the bottom of the page.

Greg