LGB sound module in analogue mode

Montblanc

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Albertville, Savoie, France
Best answers
Hello !

Does anyone have experience with LGB 65001 sound module?
I have installed one in the tender of my Bachmann Annie, alimented via ball bearing wheels, all operating in AC mode. It works fine, except for two points :
- no whistle sound at start. The not so clear documentation seemed to indicate I should get one, even in analogue mode.
- no sound at all at low voltage, which is normal of course. But the LGB proposed solution is to purchase an extra module (65011), which costs about 70€. Could I get the same result by connecting a 9V battery? If yes, where should I connect it?
- to the general alimentation of the module (where I already connected the wires coming from the wheels)
- to the special plug devoted to special effects (the place where you are supposed to connect the 70€ goodie!)

OK, I can live without whistle sound. But still, any help would be appreciated!

Jean-Pierre

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
the start whisltle will only work after the loco has recived enough power, to stand(standing sounds) after 5 seconds.in other words, trickle enough power on to the tracks, so you get a bit off sound, but no movement, wait 5 seconds(might be a bit longer) then aplly more power, (enought to move the loco)_

Montblanc

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Best answers
Thanks! Never occured to me… and of course, not to be found on the leaflet. Any idea about the battery option?

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
Hello and welcome Jean-Pierre

I read the 65001 manual and it seems to suggest that the starting whistle sound only works in one direction. Have you tried reversing the loco and seeing what happens? I agree it says that you should get a whistle.

I don't think you will be able to replace the 65011 Power Storage Unit with a battery, unless you are an electronics wizzard. I may have a used spare one if you are interested.

As I read it you shouldn't need the 65011 to get the whistle.

The only other thing I can suggest would be to take the unit to a friend who has MTS and get the unit reset to factory defaults (CV55), maybe adjusting the starting voltage (CV58) would help.

Are you using a wheel sensor?

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
Montblanc said:
But the LGB proposed solution is to purchase an extra module (65011), which costs about 70€. Could I get the same result by connecting a 9V battery? If yes, where should I connect it?
- to the general alimentation of the module (where I already connected the wires coming from the wheels)
- to the special plug devoted to special effects (the place where you are supposed to connect the 70€ goodie!)
Jean-Pierre
A 9V battery will work fine. You will need to fit it to the two connections for "the 70€ goodie" shown in the first diagram which I hope is clear enough.
d7af79f95b784b67a5a0b4f23666f9a3.jpg

Please take care to connect the correct way round and position it where it may easily be replaced; alternatively use a rechargeable battery with a circuit that disconnects the battery from the sound module during charging. Another alternative would be to make your own version of the LGB goodie, the components are available for around £20 + shipping here in the U.K. If you wish to do this look at the second diagram.
f768c0135d734ae482b91a3fc9f4f5a4.jpg

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
A ready made lead to connect a 9 volt battery to a sound unit is available from Champex Linden. If you are doubtful buy one & then make the rest yourself.

I prefer to use a 7808 regulator. The lower voltage of 8v is no problem but it only charges the capacitors at 1 Amp whereas the 78S09 takes 2 Amps.

Montblanc

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Best answers
Thanks everybody. I think I get a much clearer picture of the issue now! I shall have to wait till saturday to make all the tests you suggest, because I work in Lyon and my railway is in Albertville. But Neil, your first solution sounds very practical to me and your diagram of the unit's connections is perfectly clear.

And more of all, I'm particularly happy to find that this new forum is as useful as the old one used to be! At least, we have one UK/France connection still working!!!
I'll try to post a few pictures of trains in the snow in my garden after Christmas, just to contribute.

Jean-Pierre