idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
I found this "Technical Tips" document on the LGB web site when I was looking for something else. It talks about all the LGB set track pieces and then has some example layouts ranging in size from 286cm x 187cm to 435cm x 235cm. Most of them are "roundy roundy" but there is an end-to-end and one with a reversing loop. What intrigued me though was that one of them was multi-level (page 9) in 360cm x 185cm space. It seems to descend the height of a loco (at least 25cm ) in about 3m of track, that's 1:12 by my reckoning. That would test the traction of your locos!
Capture.JPG

The pdf is here (German) https://www.lgb.de/fileadmin/media/lgb/service/FAQ/LGB-Technik-Tipp-201-LGB-gleissystem.pdf

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I imagine Stainz will manage a couple or maybe even 3 small lightweight 4 wheelers on that grade. Not the sort if grade to expect maximum 20 axle loads with metal wheels on without damaging drive trains. Though that layout would not manage such a train, in fact it may even fill most of the track.

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
That's a useful discovery, Dave. Any round-and-round layout with a double runaround at one side (or, better still, two such arrangements) offers great running and shunting options. Each double runaround can use either three-way points (but very expensive) or four normal points or a combination of the two. Alternatively, a similar approach on and end-to-end offers lots of operational options