LGB "Rusty" - what's that?

Otter 1

Registered
7 Nov 2009
Best answers
On their homepage they offer an ilustrated book about the history of the shortline. Found this impressive picture of the little porter double traction there:

originalPortageFlyerCropped.jpg

http://www.steamtrainhuntsville.com/details.html < Link To http://www.steamtrainhuntsville.com/details.html < Link To Huntsville

Have Fun

Juergen / Otter 1

Trainman

All narrow gauge and industrial railways,
26 Oct 2009
Auckland
Best answers
Yeeeha!!!!! Ridem dogie. What a line. If I was modelling a short line this would be it. Just too hard to get the swayback into the bogie boxcars. Still thinking about how to do it all these years later.:love:

C&S

Registered
3 Nov 2009
Best answers
Trainman said:
Just too hard to get the swayback into the bogie boxcars. Still thinking about how to do it all these years later

I've done it on a Bachmann flat car by cutting off the stanchion holders in the centre of the car, then making a vertical cut beneath each one and inserting a small styrene wedge. Then put the holder back. I also put a slightly curved strengthening piece behind each side sill.

Looking at that boxcar, you could do much the same with the thin piece over the open door, and perhaps even with one slit in the body on either side.

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
I think a heavy weight and then a hot air gun for a few min's would do the trick..........................Not a hair dryer but a proper hot air gun.............

Trainman

All narrow gauge and industrial railways,
26 Oct 2009
Auckland
Best answers
Hmm food for thought. Next project methinks!! and a good one too. Might make a good exhibition layout idea.

Otter 1

Registered
7 Nov 2009
Best answers
A Bachman Boxcar might be a bit long for this prototype. Their boxcar - I think they only had one or two - looks very homegrown, maybe only 20 - 22 feet long.

Flyer1948-large.jpg
http://www.portageflyer.org/

I remember, a little short time after th LGB saddle tank Porter appered at the market, somebody described modelling this line in Model Railroader Magazine. He used Bachmann open streetcars on bogies to buld the open passenger wagons.
For the later type of saddletank Bachmann offers a model in 20,3 scale.

Have Fun

Juergen / Otter 1

Otter 1

Registered
7 Nov 2009
Best answers
The Bachmann 20 Ft series seems to be too much small for the Huntsvile line. As a matter of fact, I believe they are in 1 : 22,5 - 1 : 24.

Dach11.jpg

I Europeanized my sample by removing the roof walk and mounting 32mm white metal bogies from IP Engineering. Plus L & p couplers from Hilpert Modellbau. The loco is not a Stainz, but a Saxon I k.

Have Fun

Juergen / Otter 1

Spule 4

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Les États-Unis
Best answers
Otter 1 said:
The Bachmann 20 Ft series seems to be too much small for the Huntsvile line. As a matter of fact, I believe they are in 1 : 22,5 - 1 : 24.

Dach11.jpg

I Europeanized my sample by removing the roof walk and mounting 32mm white metal bogies from IP Engineering. Plus L & p couplers from Hilpert Modellbau. The loco is not a Stainz, but a Saxon I k.

Have Fun

Juergen / Otter 1

Actually, they are Fn3.

They were based on tiny prototypes in the real world. The boxcar is based off of the Cairo and Kanawha boxcar that had the plans published in RMC a few years ago. The flatcars are "influenced" by the tiny Carter 8 and 12 ton flats and gondolas of the late 1800s.

But if one wants a true Fn3 Carter flatcar, then the cost goes up $100 US, assuming production is resumed by Hartford.

Even tho they were 3' gauge in the real world, their small size lends them to 32mm operations. Your conversion shows this, thanks for posting it.