LGB "Rusty" - what's that?

C&S

Registered
3 Nov 2009
Best answers
Did LGB ever do a loco called Rusty? (probably in the ToyTrain range) If so, anyone got a picture, please?

vsmith

G Scale indoors, O Tinplate, Micro Layouts
24 Oct 2009
Sunny So Cal
Best answers
Country flag
dampfsonstige01.jpg

Part of the Toytrain line

GarryH

Registered
30 Oct 2009
Crowborough East Sussex
Best answers
As a classic bit of thread drift, its worth checking out "open wagons from homemade resin castings" in the scratch build section of the Forum, posted by Rik great thread in its own right but he makes mention in his own garden railway blog (use this link http://riksrailway.blogspot.com/2009/08/how-i-made-my-third-batch-of-open.html well worth a visit) a kit build of a pecket using the Rusty Chassis.
I was so taken by the blog that I twisted "Rik's" arm to post a few pics of the completed Pecket which you can see on the thread.

+ Great info Steve (funandtrains) I dug an old Rusty out of the loft tonight which I bought in a job lot, in the condition you see in the pic.............just as you say Steve made in Korea and poor plastic as can be seen from this very beaten about specimin. Mine is already earmarked as a possible kit conversion donor.
5391f05b6b7b48b48698ffae9922a380.jpg

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag

garrymartin

My Family,Railways, Beer and the Seaside
30 Oct 2009
Now Derbyshire !
Best answers
Country flag
Hi there,
I cannot at the moment find the picture of my Rusty, however they do look better if they are painted with a more subdued colour scheme . Mine is a sort of G.E.R dark blue , they also look better if pulling the Toy Train tender . I have another to be used as a donor for a G.R.S. kit , this one cost me £6 .00 from a guy on e-bay . On the whole I cannot fault them in terms of performance.
Cheers Garry.

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
garrymartin said:
. I have another to be used as a donor for a G.R.S. kit , this one cost me £6 .00 from a guy on e-bay .
Cheers Garry.

Garry

How come I never spot bargains like that? Mine cost me £30 and I thought I'd got a good deal!

Rik

C&S

Registered
3 Nov 2009
Best answers
Rik,

I've left a message for you on my original Wanted posting.

MRail

16mm etc - Live steam, battery & trams
26 Oct 2009
Merseyside, U.K.
youtube.com.user.MadogMersey
Best answers
Country flag
Just to complicate matters, I acquired a starter set from the USA a few years ago.
The stock is much butchered and repainted, but the set contained a Porter loco with red cab and the name "Shorty" plus a pair of single balcony coaches with lettering "Short Island Railroad".

Otter 1

Registered
7 Nov 2009
Best answers
These Rusties were part of a beginners pack under the Toy Train label. They probably choose the name, because Starlight Express Musical was popular in Germany at the time.

It was LGB's first excursion into the 1 : 20,3 / 3 Foot world, long before Bachmann and others.
For me it was my first attempt of kitbashing and weathing:

203PorterimRegen11.jpg

They were cheap enough at shops or at flea markets, 40 - 50 Deutsch Marks in 1994, to use them for kitbashes of all kinds

10LORELEY4_1.jpg

In the above example,I investd a lot more money in metal detal parts than into the basic model.

Have fun

Otter 1 / Juergen

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
garrymartin said:
... they also look better if pulling the Toy Train tender ...

Yes, I agree. Having finally found a few mins today to clean off my track after the snow and run the first train of 2010 just as it was getting dark, here's my ex "Rusty" with said tender. Both have been resprayed with satin black, awaiting decals etc.

d4b9462aa0f54629ab0930a35fcf655e.jpg

My young lad was upset that I resprayed Rusty as it was the first G scale loco I ever owned (bought for me by my wife actually!) He insisted that I buy another one in original colours to keep the Fantasy set complete.

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
ntpntpntp said:
My young lad was upset that I resprayed Rusty as it was the first G scale loco I ever owned (bought for me by my wife actually!) He insisted that I buy another one in original colours to keep the Fantasy set complete.

I must say, he does look rather elegant in black, though.

Rik

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
ROSS said:
Whose paint you use to spray it?

hang on.... I'll nip out to the garage.........

..... Plasti-Kote Super Spray paint. Satin Black.

C&S

Registered
3 Nov 2009
Best answers
Following correspondance elsewhere on this website, and thanks to another Centralist (is that the right term?), my LGB "Otto" has swapped bodies with "Rusty", though at the moment "Gaudy" might be a better name as the chassis is still Teutonic red and the new body is red and green. That's definitely one job to tackle, while another is the need to decide if a coal bunker makes better sense for an engine on a line around 15 miles long; otherwise there'll have to be an emergency log pile at the Junction as well as the main fuel point at the loco depot.

There's a picture of Rusty in his new home under "Making a New Start" in the Pictures section

Trainman

All narrow gauge and industrial railways,
26 Oct 2009
Auckland
Best answers
As ugly as it looks there was a railway in Canada that used two of these loks. It was called the Huntsville & Lake of Bays Railroad. It had two of them in use and all 4 of the loks (these and the two followers) are preserved. It has been said that at the end of their lives passengers had to get out and help them up the initial steep grade out off the dock. The line was 1 1/8 miles long and can be sourced off the net. The line is still running today in a slightly different location. There was a good book produced, available from Amazon bks.

Henrik:clap:

C&S

Registered
3 Nov 2009
Best answers
Trainman said:
As ugly as it looks there was a railway in Canada that used two of these loks called the Huntsville & Lake of Bays Railroad. There was a good book produced, available from Amazon bks.
Henrik:clap:

That was the line that started me out with the LGB Porters in the first place. For an American layout where space is tight they are ideal, if you like backwoodsy lines as I do. Ugly? That's a bit harsh; I can think of plainer looking locos.

Incidentally I heard that when the H&LoBRR was planned the "suits" wanted to save money and thought that a line with track half the width of standard gauge would cost half as much - not realising that all the locos and stock would have to be specially built, when they could have got 3ft gauge "off the peg", probably at a better price.

Otter 1

Registered
7 Nov 2009
Best answers
There are a few You Tube films about todays Huntsville & Lake af Bays RR. There is also a Homepage: http://www.portageflyer.org/

It is the ideal prototype for model railroaders with lttle cash. They only had two locos and five wagons on a 1,8 mile line with up to 7% grades. Two tiny turntables on the ends of the line.

Have fun

Juergen / Otter 1

C&S

Registered
3 Nov 2009
Best answers
Steve,

Many thanks for the Porter site. What a variety - should justify almost any kit-bashing project.

Juergen,

I think the turntables date from the preservation era. Before that the locos ran backwards when necessary - so 50% of their workingf life. The original Porters (like Rusty/Casey) do not seem to have survived, and in those days I believe they only had one of the more modern saddle tanks. From memory, the original rolling stock comprised a couple of semi-open tramcar style coaches, a couple of open-doored boxcars (home-built) for bark traffic and possibly a flat car.

Trainman

All narrow gauge and industrial railways,
26 Oct 2009
Auckland
Best answers
Locos nr 1 & 2 have been preserved in The Harold Warp Pioneer Village Museum in Nebraska I believe. Originally they were sold to Cameron Peck of Chicago who sold them on to the Pioneer Village. One boxcar was scrapped in 1949 and the other survives as a chassis only. The first coach is awaiting restoration in St Thomas, Toronto and the second is in use on the Pinafore Park Railway in Toronto also. They were both built from horse drawn tramcar bodies from the Toronto Suburban Railway. I think that is correct from what I have read. There was a variety of boxcars and flatcars and a crane wagon also. All in small numbers. The third coach was never used in service as I was found the third one was too heavy for the locos. They were too small and light to pull three coaches. Hope this is of some use. I got it from a book called By Steam Boat and Steam Train by Niall MacKay (ISBN 0-919822-73-8) Boston Mills Press.

Henrik