LGB rub-down decals, as supplied

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
All, have acquired a Mogul (plain black) with the rubdown road numbers..

I will use an alcohol wipe to degrease the area of application.

Should I seal these in some way afterwards?
Should I wait a few days after application before doing this?
Recommendations of best product(s) to use for this? And method of application?

Note:
Do not have access to an air-brush..

TIA,
PhilP.

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I don't know.
I have used the same on my mogul as well as the standard gauge US caboose, neither with overspray.
I have found the LGB decals to be the best I have ever used.
easy to position and get a perfect transfer.

the decals have held up superbly for me, and show no signs of handling or otherwise.

I would be concerned about reaction. Some decals and vinyls pucker or even melt when over sprayed.

if you have a spare transfer, I would test it.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Steve..
They (the original LGB lettering) does seem to not be over-sprayed at all..

I have a mogul tender, which was a C&S liveried item. This has been removed / polished out, and a '720' free-painted on the tender.
Where the original was removed is now very shiny, and you can see the 'shadow' of the original lettering.

Think I will have to remove the nasty lettering, flat the whole side, spray ?satin? black, and re-number to suit..

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
PhilP said:
Thanks Steve..
They (the original LGB lettering) does seem to not be over-sprayed at all..

I have a mogul tender, which was a C&S liveried item. This has been removed / polished out, and a '720' free-painted on the tender.
Where the original was removed is now very shiny, and you can see the 'shadow' of the original lettering.

Think I will have to remove the nasty lettering, flat the whole side, spray ?satin? black, and re-number to suit..

I have just re sprayed an LGB tender and after sanding back the original lettering to the base colour, I sprayed 2 coats of grey primer, 2 coats of flat black, and finally 3 coats of gloss and I can still make out the outline of the original lettering, in certain light.

It is not glaringly noticeable but it is there, "OMG am I turning into a rivet counter" :happy: :happy: :happy:

Next time I will take the sanding back to the original base plastic rather than leaving the original paint work with just the lettering rubbed back.

Talk about the cockroach of transfers, nothing short of a thermo-nuclear device will remove them. ;) ;) ;)

railwayman198

Registered
24 Oct 2009
East London
Best answers
Country flag
I used some of those decals on my Pearse Colorado live steamer. No protective coating necessary despite the general muck and oil associated with live steam. I just wish I could find where I put the rest of the pack to use on other projects. In some ultra safe place no doubt.

Jamaica-2010-872-copy-(1024x764).jpg