LGB RhB Alpine Classic Passenger Wagons

sheldonmcdonnell

Registered
15 Jul 2012
Best answers
Hello,
Long time lurker on this forum but one of my first posts. I have been in the hobby for almost twenty years though and am on my third layout. Yesterday I received the new LGB RhB Alpine Classic Passenger Wagons to add to my collection. Some interesting changes in this run. I put together a PDF of the review that can be found at: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27379907/RhB Alpine Car Comparison.pdf Below is that PDF copied which is why the formatting might be slightly off.

RhB%20Alpine%20Car%20Comparison-page-001.jpg

RhB%20Alpine%20Car%20Comparison-page-002.jpg

RhB%20Alpine%20Car%20Comparison-page-003.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
hello, and welcome, a balanced and fair veiw,thanks forthatQ!!!
:clap:

James Day

Guano Corner Rly - Runs weekly - Guano permitting
6 May 2012
Warwickshire
Best answers
Country flag
A great review. Very detailed indeed. Where were they made?

Pity about the post Marklin meanness on detailing. I have seen plastic replace brass elsewhere too, for example the US style tail lamp handles were one nice but are now horrid.

I also noticed that just after the change over, some roller pick-up sets came lubricated with the wrong (presumably cheaper) oil, that acted as an insulator. Not sure they have got that 100% right yet either, as yesterday a newly converted van was very intermittant, whereas a much older set ran smoothly. Thank god for WD40 to put this right.

Looking on the bright side, in reality hardly any sets of separate carriages are a complete 100% match throughout the rake. There are detail differences, different shades of paint and different roof colours. This applies to the RhB, Ffestiniog, LNER, British Rail. It is only probably since privatisation of the UK system that whole rake of carriages are painted and finished together as one entity.

On my own layout, most rakes have been assembled over long periods and feature several different versions of the same model, but once mixed up when running the effect is very pleasing.

James

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
James Day said:
It is only probably since privatisation of the UK system that whole rake of carriages are painted and finished together as one entity.

James
Modern coaching stock these daystend to be liveried using vinyl.

That way a new franchise can quickly put their own branding on their leased rolling stock.

The former 'National Express East Anglia' branding on the Mk III rakes used on the GEML was done overnight at the depot in Norwich and replaced with 'Greater Anglia' ready for the start of the new franchise the following day....

themole

tramways
25 Oct 2009
In a burrow.
Best answers
Country flag
On Marklin versions of the LGB trams Marklin have dropped the gold plated driver's controls and also the paint work is not as good. (spoiling the ship for a ha'peth of tar!!!) I now stick to pre Hungarian made LGB. Alyn

allscale

Registered
31 Oct 2009
Best answers
Thanks for this review. You picked up on several things I didn't notice when I got my set. I was lucky enough to have the green/cream and red/cream/SOS salon cars, so I was able to swap roofs. I could not see running these with the other Alpine cars otherwise. The roofs don't match any of the older LGB rolling stock.

Based on the catalog photo, I was actually worried that the cream color would turn out to be white on the cars when I got them, so the yellower color was less of a surprise, and it blends in okay in the right light:)

I am just glad to have the complete set now in the same livery - 4 salon cars with consecutive numbers, the 2-axle baggage car, the Gourmino car and the blue crocodile.

Allscale

Trainman 864

Registered
24 Sep 2015
Best answers
Country flag
I know this is an old thread, but these coaches are still stocked by a number of suppliers and I was wondering if there is any way to identify which production variant the coaches are without getting someone to unpack them before I order them on line.

This seems to be symptomatic of a much wider problem than many people realise. Manufacturers like to keep this information confidential to enable their dealers to be able to unload superceeded stock, but presumably this information is available somewhere in the manufacturers production records - the question is - how to get access to it?

There are two part numbers listed - 36658 and 36659 but as far as I know these only distinguish between coach numbers 1141/1142 and 1143/1144 respectively.