LGB RAILBUSES

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I have four LGB flat nose rail buses at the moment. Each has a motor, as I am sure most of your are familiar with them. I use LGB 50111, 6 Amp power pack. What kind of draw, in amps, would three of these take. I run double headed locos like the Stainz without issue. My passenger cars are lit with the standard LGB lighting sets via track power. My grades are not a problem. I can't see any issue, but someone with more brains than me might know of a possible glitch.

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
Apart from having a form of flexible coupling rather than brass worm gears the motors for these are the standard LGB type.
I would therefore expect each bus to take about the same as a Stainz without smoke, say between 0.5A and 0.75A

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
neils right, its not unheared off a hi milage examples pulling 2 amps.. yes, my "mint" example off evilbay was one.. new motor ,fixed the currrent draw, ..

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
This was running on a 5A PSU, no problems.
6dbb7f28f6d443ec99ec8edde25085bf.jpg

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I got a triple set of these from Evil Bay in Germany, 2 power cars and a non powered one as a trailer. I found that the two powered cars would not under any circumstances run in a balanced way together under power. I had in the meantime chipped them up with a Massoth Ant Eater chip (the correct noise for these beasties). So what I did was to remove the motor from one of the powered cars. In doing this I found that the pulling power was inadequate till I took out all the gear train from the unpowered cars as well. I then fitted up the remaining powered one with Traction Tyre Wheels robbed from a loco I had. Electrically connected the lot together using Mini DCC 4 way Sockets and job done. Now I have John Lythgoe's book on LGB maintainance I may have been able to sort it out that with maintenance. However the set does all I ask with pulling the odd trailer too. On the plus side I do have a spare motor and gears for this set if it goes pop in the future. Picture below.

5d78265e10e54464b18e0f4b2f154a65.jpg

The other set is one also from Evil Bay UK. Turned out when I had made the winning bid that I had worked with the former owner. Had a nice day with him when I went to Kent to collect it. He had modified this two car set with LGB spares for the Pig Snouts to give the unique set that you see below. Also fitted with a sound chip but 1 motor only. The sound chip lives in the Sheeted Load that you can just make out on the rear car.

cc7934bf9b664b9692cd849671457506.jpg

JonD

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I had a thought of doing the very same arrangement. I also have a pigs snout bus and a fourth flat nose bus that I was going to pair together. It looks good in your photograph.

Spule 4

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Les États-Unis
Best answers
I thought I had replied to this? Anyhow, the LGB tech info from the 1980s says they pull a single amp.

Spule 4

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Les États-Unis
Best answers

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Spule 4 said:
BTW, the pig nose Wismar/Ford busses did pull trailers that looked like the normal bus sans motors. I had a trailer in H0e from M&F for my Bemo version that I later sold.

The flat nose bus is a bit fictional, but I like them as the are close stand ins to some of the Czech Tatra built units of the era.

http://www.pshzd.cz/galerie/picture.php?cat=133&image_id=2952

http://www.mo-na-ko.net/images4/ZelMotorVuzM131x_01.jpg

I have been looking in the WJK Davies book of "the Light Railway Railcars in Western Europe" and am still a bit uncertain as to how fictional the Flat Nose job is (for Narrow gauge). I just bought from Evil Bay a copy of the 1988 LGB Catalogue. On P63 the 2064 is shown with a prototype picture of a "Friesland TYpe Powered Railcar". Whilst it looks superficially like the LGB one except for the lights, you cannot see the full extent of the beast from the picture so it may or may not be of a 4 wheeler similar to the LGB 2064. Maybee I need to spend some more time with my nose (snout?) in the Davies book to try to resolve this issue.
JonD

themole

tramways
25 Oct 2009
In a burrow.
Best answers
Country flag
Madman said:
I have four LGB flat nose rail buses at the moment. Each has a motor, as I am sure most of your are familiar with them. I use LGB 50111, 6 Amp power pack. What kind of draw, in amps, would three of these take. I run double headed locos like the Stainz without issue. My passenger cars are lit with the standard LGB lighting sets via track power. My grades are not a problem. I can't see any issue, but someone with more brains than me might know of a possible glitch.
Hi, Dan when the railbus, and the pig's snout, were introduced LGB had some advertising bumf that the railcars (both versions) could be run on the same track as a normal loco. Now what do you mean I ask myself?8| well the railcars had a resistor network connected to the motor that ment if a normal loco moved off at say 4-5 volts then the railcar would not move until the controller was advanced till about 7-8 volts therefore by altering the applied voltage to the track, one could control the railbus and another loco.The pig's snout I had back in the 80's did so. :clap:Alyn

Spule 4

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Les États-Unis
Best answers
Interesting Jon. Can you scan the pic? I have a 1990s catalog (I cannot find it now of course!) that shows a B/W photo of one of the trailers sitting out in a field, but not of a bus.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Spule 4 as requested. Couple of quick pics from my camera, sorry for Fat Podgy Fingers holding the page open.

45b2e28b4e034449983552beddbde291.jpg

cdacb3e471854cd58a80b5ef67c533a7.jpg

This could of course be the Trailer in the Field that you talk about, but the LGB text does not appear to be saying this.

JonD

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
regarding draw-these do have like 7 lamps which add a bit 

a question for those in the railbus/anteater society-

i have an older red and creme (non EAV -ie delay start up wiring) and the green and yellow

the older one has rather 'washed' out red lights -while the new one's red lamps are brilliant and vivid-almost like a red LED

-both are simply standard LGB 5v red bulbs

-anyone else have this??
 i don't know if this simply a different, less intensely colored batch of red tint on the bulb

or something to do with the clarity of the light conduit carrying the red to the end lights-it is consistent on both end sof the older anteater tho

Spule 4

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Les États-Unis
Best answers
Ah, same pic.

That is the trailer I was talking about, M&F sold an H0e version years ago for their Wismar bus now sold by Bemo.

I have a picture of one of the island railways with a Wismar bus in a Buntfarbenanstrich type camo from the war, and I think it may have had the trailer, cannot remember now.

Now, Wismar may have built some under the floor busses, but I have not seen these with the pig nose type box body.

As for LGB not saying this, much of their prototype info had to be taken with at least a dash of salt...sometimes more?

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
themole said:
Madman said:
Hi, Dan when the railbus, and the pig's snout, were introduced LGB had some advertising bumf that the railcars (both versions) could be run on the same track as a normal loco. Now what do you mean I ask myself?8| well the railcars had a resistor network connected to the motor that ment if a normal loco moved off at say 4-5 volts then the railcar would not move until the controller was advanced till about 7-8 volts therefore by altering the applied voltage to the track, one could control the railbus and another loco.The pig's snout I had back in the 80's did so. :clap:Alyn

Thats very interesting. My HF130C operates in a similar manner. Even though I run automatic (full voltage, 8 to 12), when the timer restores power to the track, after a station stop, the loco's lights come on first before any movement by the train.